Compare pet insurance in Tasmania
How much does pet insurance cost in Tasmania?
To give you an idea of how much pet insurance costs in Tasmania, we got quotes from 8 different Finder partners for a young dog in Hobart. The quotes for Petsy and Knose are for their comprehensive policies, which is why they cost more.
|Accident & Illness||Apply today|
How does pet insurance work in Tasmania?
Visit the vet
You can visit any licensed vet in Australia if your pet is injured or ill (as long as it's not due to a pre-existing condition). In most circumstances, you will pay the vet directly for the bill.
Get covered for vet bills
The pet insurer will pay you a percentage of your cat's or dog's vet bills. This is usually between 80% and 100%. In some cases, you might have to pay an excess (a small fee that contributes towards the cost of a claim). You can generally claim up to $12,000–$25,000 per year.
What does pet insurance cover?
You usually have 3 different policy options: accident-only, accident and illness and comprehensive. They can cover the following:
- Accidental injuries. For example, physical injuries such as broken bones, flesh wounds or snake bites.
- Illnesses. This helps pay for vet bills when your pet gets sick from infections, skin conditions and cancer.
- Routine care. For example, desexing, microchipping and annual vaccinations. This is sometimes included in comprehensive cover or offered as an optional extra.
What does pet insurance not cover?
Here are some common exclusions that pet insurance in Tasmania doesn't cover:
- Dental. Not all pet insurance policies will cover dental illnesses such as gingivitis, abscesses and tooth removal.
- Pre-existing conditions. These are conditions that were apparent before you took out cover. For example, if your pet showed symptoms of hip dysplasia before you took out pet insurance, that is considered a pre-existing condition. However, your pet will be covered if it develops any conditions after you've taken out a policy.
- Infectious diseases. Policies generally require you to make sure your pet is vaccinated against common diseases such as feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) or canine hepatitis.
- Pregnancy. Pet insurance doesn't cover anything related to your pet's pregnancy.
More guides on Finder
Pet Circle Pet Insurance Review
Find out if Pet Circle has the right policy for your pet.
Podcast: Designer dogs and the real cost of cute
Owning a dog can cost way more than you think. On this episode of Pocket Money, we learn why certain breeds are more expensive, and other pet ownership FAQs.
The following guide will help you navigate the difficult process of putting your pet down.
Diabetes in dogs
Your ultimate guide to diabetes in dogs, including its causes, symptoms, treatment and insurance options.
How much does pet insurance cost for different dog breeds?
Ever wondered how much it would cost to insure your dog? We've crunched the numbers so you can easily compare pet insurance prices between breeds.
Cancelling Pet Insurance
Find out how and when you can cancel a pet insurance policy in this comprehensive guide.
Potiki Pet Insurance Review
Learn the ins and outs of Potiki pet insurance policies.
Medibank Pet Insurance Review
Medibank Pet Insurance has three insurance policies to suit a variety of needs and budgets.
Everyday Pet Insurance Review
Find out what each of the 3 levels of pet insurance from Everyday covers.
Get a better deal on pet insurance
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?
Ask an Expert