New account holders can earn up to 5% for the first three months of opening this account.
Newcastle Permanent Online Savings Account
- Maximum variable rate
- 5.00% p.a.
- Base interest rate
This account offers new customers a decent bonus rate for the first 3 months without having to make any monthly deposits or limit your withdrawals. However, after the 3-month intro period it'll drop down to the variable base rate of 1% p.a. which is very low in today's market.
It could suit you if you're looking for an account that still earns a bit of interest without having to meet any ongoing conditions.
$0 minimum balance requirement
$0 minimum opening balance
Multiple accounts are allowed
Decent bonus rate for the first 3 months
No conditions to meet to earn interest
An everyday account, home loan, or credit facility is required to earn interest
Bonus rate is only available for 3 months
Low ongoing variable base rate
|Product Name||Newcastle Permanent Online Savings Account|
|Maximum Variable Rate||5.00% p.a.|
|Standard Variable Rate||1.00% p.a.|
|Monthly Account Fee||$0|
|Minimum Opening Deposit||$0|
No monthly account keeping fees
You will not be charged any monthly account keeping fees with the Online Savings account.
No transaction fees
Zero transaction fees, no matter how you transfer money in or out of the account, except as many apply to international transfers or extra services.
No minimum balance requirements
There are no balance or deposit requirements for this online savings account.
What interest rate do I receive?
So long as you have a Newcastle Permanent Everyday Account, home loan or credit facility, you'll earn interest on your balance each month. New account holders will earn the maximum bonus interest rate of 5% for the first three months of opening the account. After this, you'll earn the standard rate of 1%.
How is my interest calculated?
The variable interest rate is calculated on the daily opening balance and paid into the account on the last day of each month.
How do I make deposits?
Free deposits can be made at a branch, using direct credit or with internet or phone banking. BPAY and automated internet banking transfers are not available.
How do I make withdrawals?
In order to withdraw from your online savings account you will have to transfer the amount using mobile, internet or phone banking into your nominated account.
You are allowed to have a joint account holder with this account, although all account holders will need either a Newcastle Permanent Everyday Savings account, home loan or credit facility for interest to be paid.
Set up multiple online savings accounts to help reach multiple savings goals and manage your finances more closely. Take a look at more Newcastle Permanent products.
How to applyYou can open this account online by completing the application form on the bank's website.
To save time, you should first check the following eligibility requirements:
- Minimum age. No age limits to savings accounts. However if a child is under 14 years of age, then a parent or guardian need to open the account.
- Residency requirements. You must be an Australian resident with a residential address.
- Depository requirements. There are no minimum opening deposit requirements to meet, nor are you obligated to make a minimum monthly deposit in order to earn interest and avoid fees.
It should usually take about ten minutes to finish the online application. You, and any joint account holder, should also have the following documentation ready:
- Tax file number. By providing your tax file number (TFN) or exemption codes, you can avoid paying withholding tax on your interest earnings at the highest marginal rate.
- Identification. In addition to a driver's licence, passport, or Medicare card to prove your identity, you will also need to supply contact details like your physical address, phone number and email address.
- Account details. In order to open this savings account you will need to provide the account information for your Newcastle Permanent Everyday Account, home loan or line of credit as well as your member number.
What happens after I submit my application?
After submitting your application online you will receive an automatic confirmation email with the application details. Sign and return the application form and once activated, Newcastle Permanent will set up the account with internet and phone banking so that you are immediately able to begin making deposits.
You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked
March 10, 2023
Can I open an account for the 4.5% interest rate though I am a newbie and have had no transactions before?
Alison Banney Finder
March 14, 2023
The introductory bonus rate is available for the first 3 months for new Online Savings Account holders who have not held an Online Savings Account during the last 6 months. If you haven’t held an account in the last 6 months, then yes you’re eligible.
Show more Show less
February 10, 2023
What is the maximum balance yo can receive 4.5% interest and does this account have the government guarantee?
Alison Banney Finder
February 22, 2023
The bonus rate applies to your entire balance – there is no maximum balance limit. And yes, your deposit up to $250k with Newcastle Permanent in covered by the bank government guarantee scheme.
March 09, 2017
With the Newcastle Permanent online savings account, if the standard variable is 1.5% how do I qualify for the 1.5% bonus interest each month
Anndy Lou Finder
March 09, 2017
Thanks for your question.
The bonus rate is only available to new Online Savings Account holders who have not held an Online Savings Account during the last 6 months. The bonus rate of 1.50% p.a. applies for 3 months after account opening, on top of the standard variable interest rate. Also, to get this rate, you must have an Everyday Account, a Home Loan or a Credit Facility with Newcastle at the time interest is applied.
Show more Show less