Single parent home loans with Centrelink payments

If you're a single parent buying a home, some lenders will accept your Centrelink payments as part of your income.

Last updated:

The lenders in the table below accept Centrelink payments when assessing your income as part of a mortgage application. Most lenders will only accept certain types of Centrelink payments and may not take the whole amount of your payment.

You'll also need to have sufficient income and meet the lender's credit criteria, just like any other loan. Start comparing loans below or skip ahead to read more about single parent payments and eligibility.

Compare home loan options for single parents

Rates last updated September 16th, 2019
Loan purpose
Offset account
Loan type
Repayment type
Your filter criteria do not match any product
Name Product Interest Rate (p.a.) Comp Rate^ (p.a.) Application Fee Ongoing Fees Max LVR Monthly Payment Short Description
$0 p.a.
Access an offset account and pay no application or ongoing fees on this special variable rate for owner-occupiers.
$0 p.a.
Get special offers on a Visa Platinum card, transaction accounts and insurance with this package loan.
$0 p.a.
Get a 1% discount for the first two years of your loan and pay ongoing fees.
$0 p.a.
A variable rate home loan with low promotional rate.
$395 p.a.
Fix your interest rate for 3 years and buy your home with just a 5% deposit.
$8 monthly ($96 p.a.)
Lock in a fixed rate for two years with a low ongoing service fee.
$8 monthly ($96 p.a.)
Ability to make extra repayments during the fixed term and access the money through redraw.
$395 p.a.
Low deposit package loan with a range of discounts. Rebates for eligible refinancers and new borrowers.
$10 monthly ($120 p.a.)
3 years fixed with the minimum loan amount of $10000.

Compare up to 4 providers

Aussie Home Loans Logo

Enter your details below to receive an obligation-free quote from an Aussie mortgage broker today

By submitting this form, you agree to the Finder Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use

Applications are subject to approval. Conditions, fees and charges apply. Please note that you need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to apply.

Credit services for Aussie Select products are provided by AHL Investments Pty Ltd ACN 105 265 861 (“Aussie”) and its appointed credit representatives, Australian Credit Licence 246786. Aussie is a trade mark of AHL Investments Pty Ltd. Aussie is a subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124. © 2019 AHL Investments Pty Ltd ABN 27 105 265 861 Australian Credit Licence 246786. Credit for Aussie Select products is provided by Residential Mortgage Group Pty Ltd ACN 152 378 133, Australian Credit Licence 414133 (“RMG”). RMG is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 234945.

Aussie is a trade mark of AHL Investments Pty Ltd. Aussie is a subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124. ©2018 AHL Investments Pty Ltd ABN 27 105 265 861 Australian Credit Licence 246786.

By submitting this form, you agree to the Privacy and Cookies Policy, Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and the Aussie privacy policy.

Aussie is both a lender and a mortgage broker, and offers a range of services.

  • FREE Suburb and Property Report with every appointment.
  • Access 3,000+ loans from over 20 lenders.
  • Get expert help with your loan application, including paperwork and eligibility.

Aussie Home Loans Lender Logos

The Adviser’s number 1 placed mortgage broker 5 years running (2013-2017)

As a single parent, you may be eligible to receive the Parenting Payment from Centrelink, and most lenders will accept it as part of your income. In addition to this, you may be eligible for the Childcare Benefit, which is also an acceptable form of income.

The federal government also offers the Family Tax Benefit, depending on your income. Once again, most lenders will accept this as a form of income, depending on the age of your children.

If you're receiving child support payments from a former partner, these are also taken into account when assessing your income.

For a full list of the Centrelink benefits lenders accept as income, read our guide.

Tips for saving a deposit on a single income

Trying to put together a deposit for a home while raising a child on a single income can be difficult, especially as the costs of both are increasing. Take note of the following if you're looking for ways to save for a home and you're the provider for a dependent child.

  • Government assistance. Single income parents may be eligible for the federal government’s Family Tax Benefit A & B, Parenting Payment and the Child Care Benefit. Government assistance can help cover the incidental day-to-day expenses and larger expenses like rent and child care, which can give you a little more room in the budget to save.
  • How much do you earn? When it comes time to apply for your home loan, you will want to know how much you can borrow. A higher income means you can borrow more, and pre-approval will give you a ballpark figure. Once you’ve done a comparison of home loans, speak to the lender directly to find out whether parenting-related payments can be included on your home loan application.
  • Budgeting. A budget is essential to any financial plan. List all the money you get, your income, and look at ways to cut down on the money going out.
  • Get a savings account. High-interest savings accounts are great if you’re saving for a goal, such as a mortgage deposit. Not only do the accounts let you earn interest, they also come with features to help you save. Automatic savings plans are a great way to save for a goal.
  • Get the right home loan. Spend some time comparing home loans and find the loan that’s the right fit for you. The right loan charges less in fees and gives you the flexibility to change the features as your situation changes in the future. A comparison of fees versus features now will save you time and money later.

Find out how much you can borrow

Get free, personalised help from a mortgage broker

Mortgage brokers specialise in helping borrowers in difficult or unique circumstances, including borrowers with Centrelink payments. They can help you find lenders who accept government assistance as a source of income, and will help you work out how much you'll realistically be able to borrow to avoid being rejected for a loan. Mortgage brokers get a commission from the lender, meaning you don't have to pay for their help.

You can compare brokers in the table below. Simply click Enquire now and fill in your details to lodge an obligation-free enquiry.

Rates last updated September 16th, 2019
Details Features
Aussie Home Loans
Aussie Home Loans
Aussie is one of Australia's leading financial service providers, having won The Adviser’s Top Mortgage Broker award for the last 3 years. They charge no appointment fees and can meet at a time and place which suits you.
Up to 22 lenders Enquire Now More info
eChoice Mortgage Brokers
eChoice Mortgage Brokers
When you do business with eChoice you will be given your own home loan manager to help you select a loan. 25 lenders Enquire Now More info

Image: Shutterstock

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Home Loan Offers

Important Information*
Logo for UBank UHomeLoan Variable Rate - Discount offer for Owner Occupiers, P&I Borrowing over $200,000
UBank UHomeLoan Variable Rate - Discount offer for Owner Occupiers, P&I Borrowing over $200,000

Take advantage of a low-fee mortgage with a special interest rate of just 3.09% p.a. and a 3.09% p.a. comparison rate.

Logo for Athena Variable Home Loan - Refinance (Owner Occupier, P&I)
Athena Variable Home Loan - Refinance (Owner Occupier, P&I)

Low variable rate mortgage for owner occupiers looking to switch. Refinancers only.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

10 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    SueJune 26, 2017

    I would like to buy a home. I am 48 years old, a perm p/t Qld gov employee (64 to 72 hrs / fn). I am a single parent of 2 children 13 & 16.
    I am the sole provider. My average net income is $2100/ fortnight. Family tax $180/ ft. I do not have savings but do have a good credit history. I have currently have a personal loan owing $10,000. Could you tell me what options I have. If you think I would be eligible for a home loan who/ where to from here. Thanking you for your time.

    • Default Gravatar
      JonathanJune 27, 2017

      Hi Sue!

      We know you’re doing your best to get qualified! :)

      You can shoot an enquiry to your desired lenders of the choices below. They will have a broker to talk with you about the requirements.

      All the best!

      Hope this helps.


  2. Default Gravatar
    LisaJune 1, 2017

    Does a single parent qualify for a first home buyers grant?

    • Default Gravatar
      JonathanJune 1, 2017

      Hi Lisa!

      Thanks for the comment.

      Being a single parent doesn’t disqualify you from applying for First Home Owners Grant. Take note that the eligibility may vary from state to state and some basic requirements are needed to be met.

      You can check those details on this page.

      Hope this helps.


  3. Default Gravatar
    jessApril 21, 2017

    i am a single parent of a 2 1/2 yr old. I really want to buy my own first home of up to $100,000. its looking really good but i heard that you lose all of your rental assistance and family tax a altogether. i ring centrelink who dont pick up the phone – i leave messages and they dont answer so i just really want to know? does anyone know? thanks

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      DeeMay 7, 2017Staff

      Hi Jess,

      Thanks for your question.

      In regards to Rent assistance, you will not be eligible to receive this benefit if you own or are buying the home you live in, except relocatable homes. Other eligibility criteria apply.

      For Family Tax Benefit, I’ve checked the Department of Human Services website and can’t seem to find a stipulation about the connection of this benefit to purchasing a home. You may have to directly call the Department of Human Services on 136 150 to enquire.


    • Default Gravatar
      JessMay 7, 2017

      thank you so much for that! ive just heard as well that after my child turns 8 i go onto newstart. im really concerned about meeting mortgage payments along with living expenses which i worked out to be about $490 pf.based on thats including mortgage payments of 192-223 like to know how much of newstart payments you receive when you child turns 8.if you know that it would be fantastic! thanks

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      DeeMay 8, 2017Staff

      Hi Jess,

      Thanks for getting back.

      Yes, one of the benefits that the Department of Human Services offers to single parents is the Newstart Allowance for single parents whose youngest child is 8 years old or over, subject to eligibility criteria. You can generally earn up to $104 every 2 weeks before the agency start reducing your Newstart payment. You may have to contact Centrelink on 132 850 to learn more about Newstart Allowance.


  4. Default Gravatar
    bitconfusedMarch 11, 2016

    After reading bits & pieces on the net I’m a bit confused.Something that i thought could be simple is turning out to be more complicated
    than I thought
    My question if anyone knows
    My parents own their property but are not financial, I was wondering if I can pay for an extension onto their house for myself to live- would I be able to get a home loan through their equity to do so, as a personal loan would be to costly and not much better than paying outside rent?
    We are based in Victoria, I think that effects the granny flat options and I was wondering what effect this would have if any on their pension

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      BelindaMarch 14, 2016Staff

      Hi there,

      Thanks for reaching out.

      Your ability to borrow using your parent’s equity depends on whether or not your parents will go guarantor on the loan and/or whether it will be a joint application.

      It’s advised that you speak to a licensed mortgage broker as they will help you understand your borrowing options and they can review your financial situation to find a home loan that’s right for you. A broker can also assist you with the paperwork and negotiate for better terms on your behalf.

      All the best,

Ask a question
Go to site