Get cover to suit your budget and lifestyle.
Budget Direct Health Insurance
Need health insurance? Review your options from Budget Direct.
Budget Direct offers a range of health insurance policy options to suit people with varying requirements and budgets. With policies underwritten by Auto and General Insurance Company Limited, Budget Direct can provide you with a range of cover options, from basic hospital cover to a comprehensive hospital and extras policy.
What is covered by each of the policies?
Budget Direct Public Hospital
The most basic level of cover available, Budget Direct Public Hospital covers you as a private patient in a public hospital for a wide range of treatments including accidents, cardiac surgery, delivery suite, intensive care, joint reconstruction and palliative care.
Public Hospital Cover is Budget Direct’s most basic and also affordable hospital cover option and includes cover for emergency ambulance cover no excess for your child dependants when they are admitted as private patients. If you're only after cover for the essentials, this might be the policy for you.
Budget Direct Mid Hospital
Combining a higher level of privileges with an affordable price, Mid Hospital Cover provides for the cost of treatment in a private hospital in a shared room. Hospital accommodation in a single room is also available if you’re willing to make a co-payment of $100 per day, while it also covers everything from psychiatric care and palliative care to cardiac surgery and intensive care.
Budget Direct Top Hospital
The highest level of hospital cover from Budget Direct is Top Hospital Cover, which is designed to offer policyholders the ultimate peace of mind. It provides cover for an extensive range of treatment types and lets you take advantage of a range of private privileges in public and private hospitals. Hospital accommodation, accidents and ambulance cover are all included, as are cardiac surgery, eye surgery, cataract surgery, intensive care, IVF, gastric banding, Medical Gap cover, obstetrics and a whole lot more.
Budget Direct Extras
Budget Direct also offers two extras cover options to help you tailor cover to suit your needs: Basic Extras and Top Extras. If you sign up for Extras cover, no matter whether it's Basic or Top cover, you can choose how much you’ll get back from the provider: 55% or 85%.
- Basic Extras. This covers optical, dental, orthodontic, naturopathy, homeopathy, acupuncture, remedial massage, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, myotherapy, chiropractic and osteopathic treatments.
- Top Extras. This is the highest level of extras cover available from Budget Direct and covers all the same items as Basic Extras but to significantly higher annual limits. It also provides protection for the cost of psychology, orthotics, podiatry and travel vaccinations.
|Benefits||Public Hospital||Mid Hospital||Top Hospital|
|Accidents||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Cardiac surgery and coronary care||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Cataract surgery||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||No||Yes|
|Cosmetic surgery (not medically necessary)||No||No||No|
|Delivery suite||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||No||Yes|
|Dental implants done in hospital||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||No||Yes|
|Emergency ambulance cover||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Eye surgery||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Intensive care||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|IVF and related services||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||No||Yes|
|Joint reconstruction||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Joint replacement||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||No||Yes|
|Medical gap up to the Medical Benefits Scheduled fee||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|No hospital excess for child dependents when admitted as a private patient||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Nursing home type patients||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Obstetrics||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||No||Yes|
|Other agreed charges||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Palliative care||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically required)||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Private hospital accommodation (private room)||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Covered with a $100 co-payment per night for a private room||Yes|
|Private hospital accommodation (shared room)||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Psychiatric care||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Public hospital accommodation (as a private patient)||Yes||Covered with a $100 co-payment per night for a private room||Yes|
|Rehabilitation||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Same-day treatment||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Surgically-implanted prosthesis||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
|Theatre||Covered as a private patient in a public hospital||Yes||Yes|
What isn't covered?
Budget Direct will not pay your claim if:
- It is for an account that has been altered in any way
- It is for natural remedies or food supplements
- It is for dental procedures carried out by a dental mechanic, other than an advanced dental technician
- It is for a range of same-day dental procedures, such as a filling
- It is for a dental procedure where you have exceeded the limit on the number you can have
- It is for services or treatment for which you have the right to claim damages or compensation from another body
- It is for treatment where you are otherwise eligible for free treatment under any Government Act
- It is for services or treatment obtained more than 12 months previously
- It is for services or treatment given by a practitioner who is not in a private practice or is not recognised by official bodies recognised by Budget Direct
- It is for the hiring of equipment
- It is for services that were not rendered face-to-face
- Your claim is for benefits for lifestyle services that largely take the form of sport, recreation or entertainment
- It is for treatment or services received overseas
- It is for a vaccination not listed on Budget Direct’s Approved Travel Vaccinations list, or if it is for travel vaccinations that are listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
How much will a Budget Direct policy cost you?
The following factors can all influence the price you will have to pay to take out cover.
- The level of cover you choose. Top Hospital Cover is obviously going to cost you a lot more than Public Hospital Cover.
- Standalone cover. Choose a standalone hospital or extras cover instead of taking out a combined policy – this will help you save money on the cost of cover.
- The age at which you take out cover. Due to Australia’s Lifetime Health Cover regulations, a loading applies for each year you are without cover from the age of 31.
- What cover you take out. Whether you select a single, couples or family policy.
Cost breakdown of Budget Direct Health Insurance by state
Below is a cost breakdown of the minimum, maximum and average monthly cost of a Budget Direct Health Insurance policy for a single across all Australian states. To get the most accurate pricing, click on Get Quote in the table above.
How much excess will I need to pay?
An excess applies to your Budget Direct Health Insurance policy – and paying an excess entitles you to lower premiums for your health insurance. When you are admitted to hospital as a private patient you will need to pay an excess. The maximum amount you will pay in any calendar year is:
- $450 for singles
- $900 for couples and families
- $0 for child dependants
How to save on your Budget Direct Health Insurance policy
- Choose your extras cover. Budget Direct offers the choice of receiving 55% or 85% back on your extras cover, with the 55% option resulting in lower premiums.
- Choose a lower level of cover. The higher the level of cover you choose, the more you’ll have to pay for it.
- Rebates. People of all ages can take advantage of the government’s private health care rebate scheme.
- Sign up for cover. Due to the Medicare Levy Surcharge for those who don’t have private health insurance, signing up for cover can end up saving you money.
|Car Insurance||Get 15% off Budget Direct Car Insurance when you add a new comprehensive car policy online using Policy Manager.||More info|
|Travel Insurance||Get a 10% discount when you purchase a new travel insurance policy.||More info|
|Life Insurance||Get a 10% discount when you purchase a new life insurance policy.||More info|
|Home & Contents Insurance||Receive a 30% discount when you buy a Home & Contents Insurance policy online.||More info|
|Home Insurance||Add Home Insurance an existing policy online and get 15% off.||More info|
|Contents Insurance||Go online and add Contents Insurance to an existing policy and receive a 15% discount.||More info|
How can I make a claim?
Budget Direct Health Insurance claims are designed to make paying for treatment as easy as possible. Budget Direct pays Hospital Cover claims direct to the hospital, all you have to do is present your membership card upon admission. In most cases you will not have to contact Budget Direct at all.
For Extras Cover claims, you can use your membership card to claim electronically at many health care providers. You can simply swipe your card and your claim will be processed in seconds. Once it has been authorised, you’ll have to pay the difference between the full fee for the service and the amount covered by Budget Direct.
If electronic claiming is not available, you’ll have to pay the service provider’s full bill and then claim online from Budget Direct.
Still have questions?
Read more on this topic
Online hearing tests Free and easy to use, online hearing tests only take a few minutes.
Compare online pharmacy services Online pharmacies work like any other online shop. Compare your options today.
Compare online doctor and GP services An online doctor is just like any other GP – except the appointment usually takes place via video call rather than face-to-face.
Health funds freeze prices in fight to keep customers Major insurers are postponing the planned price hike. Here's why you should care.
How much does dental really cost? SPONSORED: Find out how much you should be paying for these 5 common dental procedures
Complaints drop following health insurance overhaul Ombudsman says the new tier system could be to thank for positive change.
Health insurance premium rates are rising in Australia Get the lowdown on what's happening, so you can get a better deal on your health insurance.
Medical costs comparison Doing a medical costs comparison could save you a lot of money. Here's how to reduce your out-of-pocket medical expenses.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert