If you’re looking to spend $30 or less on your mobile plan each month, you’ve got to make smart choices about which plan features are most important to you.
$30 per month sits at the very baseline of value when it comes to postpaid plans. At this price point you’re probably more likely to be looking at prepaid options, or possibly month-to-month postpaid, as long as you’re careful about your usage.
What you need to do is work out what you can realistically get for $30 per month. It’s not uncommon to see special deals at this kind of price point for a very limited time, which is fine if you don’t mind the rigmarole of changing providers on a regular basis. However, if you’re after a more long-term solution, here are the key factors to consider.
- How much data do I need? At the $30 price point, you will start seeing providers offering unlimited standard national calls and texts, which means that the key differentiator between plans will be the data inclusion.
- How long does my credit need to last? You could opt for long-expiry pay-as-you-go options, such as amaysim’s As You Go plan or ALDImobile’s PAYG plan, both of which offer 365-day expiry, although they don’t have exceptional call, text or data rates. Most prepaid plans still come with 30-day expiry, although many major carriers now offer 28-day expiry plans instead. That’s not always bad value depending on the inclusions, as long as you’re going to use them.
- Can I get extras? At $30 you’re not going to be awash with extra plan features, but that doesn’t mean that they’re going to be entirely absent. Some plans may offer quota-free streaming, or data or credit rollover if you recharge within the expiry period. Others may include a quantity of international calling minutes or credit.
- Catch.com.au is launching its own prepaid mobile service
- You can now bundle Norton security products with your Vodafone mobile bill
- Optus is giving all Australians 30 days free access to the National Geographic mobile app
- Get a hefty 18GB of mobile data for just $32 a month with Virgin Mobile
- Go big with 18GB of mobile data for just $20 with Vodafone