Need to make some adjustments to your travel insurance policy? Here’s how.
It’s not unusual to need to adjust your travel insurance policy between taking it out and leaving for your trip. Some adjustments are easy, but some will be more difficult.
You can make any changes without restriction if you are still within the cooling-off period.
- The cooling-off period is typically for a period of 30 days after purchasing the policy. You can receive a full refund on the premium if you cancel within this period.
- The cooling-off period ends as soon as you depart or make a claim under the policy, even if it’s within 30 days of purchase.
You can make certain changes after the cooling-off period as long as it’s before departure.
- Many insurers are happy to work with you to help you adjust your policy, but there will typically be restrictions on the changes you are able to make. These may vary between providers.
You can only make limited changes after departure.
- You generally cannot make any changes to your travel policy after departure, with the exception of extending your trip.
The cooling-off period is designed to give you time to go over your policy and make sure it’s all in order. Meanwhile, the flexibility you may have after the cooling-off period, but before departure, means you can take out a policy ahead of time. The other, more important, reason for getting travel insurance early is that travel insurance can cover you for things that happen before departure, as well as on your trip.
Steps to make adjustments to your policy
You can change your policy by contacting your travel insurance provider. One of the advantages of buying travel insurance online is that you will often have an account from which you can access your policy and make changes yourself if needed.
After the cooling-off period, you typically cannot make changes that lower the price of your policy, but some insurers might let you adjust your policy before departure. After departure, your policy is locked in and you won’t be able to make any changes that affect your cover.
All insurers are different and may have their own terms and conditions for changing policies. The information on this page is generally applicable to all Australian travel insurance brands, but you should read your travel insurance policy or contact your insurer for more specific information on how to change your policy.
How do I change the address listed on my travel policy?
You should fix typos or incorrect details, such as the wrong address, as soon as possible on the off-chance that it causes problems later.
- You can typically change your address at any time, before or after departure.
How do I change my return date?
Generally, you cannot move your return date forwards or shorten your policy outside of the cooling-off period. If you want to extend your trip, you can usually push it back at any time.
- Some insurers will let you extend your cover simply by contacting them. Of course, your insurer will charge you for any additional days.
- Some insurers will require you to purchase a second policy for the extra days you want.
How do I adjust my level of cover?
You can adjust your cover without difficulty during the cooling-off period. If you are between the end of the cooling-off period and departure, your options may be more limited. If you’ve already left, then your policy is generally locked in and you won’t be able to adjust your cover.
- You typically cannot reduce your policy after the cooling-off period, such as removing people from the policy or foregoing certain types of cover.
- Between the cooling-off period and departure, some insurers may only let you adjust your cover upwards.
- After departure, you are not able to adjust your level of cover.
How do I add or remove people from my policy?
It is usually only possible to remove people from your travel insurance policy within the cooling-off period. However, you may be able to add more people to your policy before departure. If you’ve opted for travel insurance with complimentary cover for children, you might have more flexibility with changes.
- You generally cannot remove people from your policy outside the cooling-off period
- Between the cooling-off period and departure, you may still be able to add more people to your policy.
- After departure, you won’t be able to add more people to your policy. Instead, you can take out a new policy to cover them for the portion of the trip they’re taking.
How do I find a flexible travel insurance policy?
For more flexibility in your travel insurance, take out a policy ahead of time. You will still only be charged for the actual duration of the trip, and in the event of an unexpected pregnancy, a home disaster or other unforeseen circumstances, it may give you a larger window in which to use cancellation cover for reimbursement of airfares and other expenses which would otherwise be non-refundable.
Made a search before? Retrieve your search results
Type or select your destination