Border Bank Safeguard
Protect yourself from unexpected fees with a multi-purpose account that safeguards your savings.
Border Bank Safeguard is a specialised savings account that allows you at call access while ensuring you’re never subjected to exception fees. Setting up bill payments and RediCard use is available, yet your account will never be overdrawn. This is ideal if you are trying to work your finances in a budget.
Maximum variable rate
Base interest rate
Account keeping fees
You will not be charged any monthly or yearly account keeping fees when using the Safeguard account.
Reduced fees program
You can qualify for fee rebates and free ATM and EFTPOS transactions by maintaining a combined monthly balance of $5,000 in your Border Bank accounts.
The money in your Safeguard account can be accessed by any one of these methods; RediCard, online banking, phone banking through Redidial, periodic payment, electronic transfer, BPAY and Bank@Post. You are also able to add to the balance using direct credit.
Direct debit and member cheques are not available, and this account is never permitted to become overdrawn.
The Safeguard account is linked to a RediCard, allowing you to make any ATM and EFTPOS transactions wherever that card is readily accepted.
Once your monthly balance exceeds $500 you will begin earning interest on the account. This rate will increase slightly when your balance grows past $20,000 and once again at $50,000.
Interest is calculated on your daily balance and will be paid into the account twice a year, once on 31 June and the second time on 31 December.
Border Bank membership
You must be a member of the mutual bank before you are able to apply for any of their products. Membership is limited to employees of the Australian Customs and Border Protection Agency, their family members and friends.
How to apply
Existing members of Border Bank will find it easy to apply for the Safeguard through their online banking platform. If you are not already a member you can apply online for a membership and your new account. Before beginning, check the following eligibility requirements to ensure that your application will be accepted:
- Minimum age. You must be 18 years or older in order to have the Safeguard account opened in your name.
- Residency requirements. Border Bank requires that all account holders be Australian residents with a residential address.
- Depository requirements. There is no minimum opening balance requirement with this account.
In addition to meeting the eligibility requirements, you will also find that it is useful to have the following documentation next to you as you begin to fill out the application:
- Tax file number. It is not obligatory to provide your tax file number (TFN) or your exemption code, but if you choose not to, Border Bank is required to apply withholding tax to any interest earnings at the highest marginal rate.
- Identification. Border Bank is required to verify your identity with a government photo identification document such as your driver's licence, passport or Medicare card.
What happens after I submit my application?
After having submitted your application a representative from Border Bank will contact you with your membership and new account details. Your RediCard will be mailed to your address soon after so that you may begin making your daily financial transactions through your new account.