Can you avoid fees and charges when transferring property within the family?

Learn how tax and charges work when gifting or selling property to family.Transferring property to family

The current market hasn’t been particularly forgiving for new home and property buyers, so the process of gifting and transferring property deeds is an option you might be considering. Parents may choose to transfer property to their children who may not be able to buy or find a new home, or they may want to ensure that the property stays within their family before they pass away.

Transferring or gifting property to a family member can be as simple as submitting a property transfer form without having to sign a bill of sale. Knowing the proper way to transfer property within your family, and how to avoid being charged hefty fees is essential when thinking about any kind of property transfer.

Unfortunately, even when transferring property to your family members in exchange for no or little money, you may still have to pay capital gains tax on the market value of your property. Read on to find out more.

Need affordable conveyancing services?

ThinkConveyancing Logo provides timely, professional conveyancing services for all your property settlement needs.

Get expert legal help with every stage of a property settlement.

  • Free quotes and consultation
  • Settlement help for buyers, sellers and property transfers
  • Service for customers in NSW, Victoria, Queensland, WA and Tasmania

What fees will you pay when transferring property to family?

Below are a few examples of fees and charges that may apply when you are transferring or gifting property within your family:

Fees paid by the original owner

  • Capital Gains tax (CGT). The CGT cost will depend on the amount of capital gain or capital loss resulting from the CGT event. In event of a capital gain, your total gain amount will be the difference between your capital proceeds and the cost base of your asset. The actual CGT amount you pay depends on your income, as it’s added to your income tax for the applicable year.
    • How much is it? We explain how CGT works in our in-depth guide, but it's basically calculated using the market value of the property minus the expenses you incurred owning it. The figure left after this is your capital gains amount, which is then added to your income tax for that year.
  • Valuation costs. You might need to have the property value determined by a certified valuer before transferring or gifting your property. This is so you will know how much you will report that you have gained or loss when filing your income taxes.
    • How much is it? Independent valuations cost between $300 - $900 depending on where the property is.
  • Legal fees. You might also want to have a lawyer oversee the property transfer and have them draw up contracts or transfer documents with title details, the value and determined ‘price’ of the property, and personal details for both parties. These legal documents can be used in case the validity of the property transfer is ever questioned. These may be referred to as ‘probate fees’.
    • How much is it? This will depend on the lawyer used and what services they carry out.

Fees paid by the new owner

    • Stamp duty. Also referred to as Stamp Duty Land Tax, this tax is calculated on the value of the property or land that is being transferred or gifted and is represented as a percentage. Some purchases may be exempt from stamp duty, so check with your state office of revenue.
      • How much is it? Stamp duty is calculated based on the state you're in. Use our calculator for a rough guide on how much this would be.

How to avoid fees and charges when transferring property

You might be able to avoid hefty fees when transferring or gifting properties in some select situations and scenarios where CGT and other charges will not apply. Below are some examples of these situations and scenarios:

      • If you acquired the asset before 20 September 1985: This date is when CGT came into effect, so any property or assets that were acquired before this date may be exempt from CGT.
      • If the property being transferred is your main residence: If you have been living at the property and have indicated it as your main place of residence (ie. the address is on your current driver’s license and you receive mail there) then you may be exempt from CGT when gifting or selling a property to another.

What is Capital Gains Tax?

The Australian Government defines Capital Gains Tax (CGT) in the following way: “A capital gain or capital loss is the difference between what it cost you to get an asset and what you received when you disposed of it.”

So, according to this, Capital Gains Tax is a tax that applies when you dispose of a certain asset. It’s important to note that CGT is calculated separately from the rest of your income tax but then included in it. Make sure that you are familiar with how to keep records to ensure that you are keeping track of your capital gains and losses. You also need to know how to properly report any capital gains or losses when you are ready to submit your income taxes.

Even if you are gifting property, CGT is applicable. Though the Australian Government says that some of your main personal assets may be exempt from CGT, including your home, there are still instances during a property transfer when CGT will apply such as when transferring investment properties.

Does Capital Gains Tax apply when transferring property within the family or to friends?Capital gains tax when transferring property to family

When you gift your property you are still charged CGT, even if you sell the property for a small amount to a family member or friend. The Australian Government refers to this process as a ‘CGT event’.

As the ATO states, the property is calculated at market value if you:

      • Receive no money for your property
      • Receive less than the market value for your property; or,
      • Do not deal at arm’s length with the buyer during the sale event

Dealing at arms length refers to both parties in the sale acting independently and having no “influence or control over each in connection with the transaction”.

Get advice about Capital Gains Tax

Transferring property to family or friends can come with time-consuming taxation matters. Seek professional advice about these matters from the Property Tax Specialists today.

FAQ about capital gains tax

Seek professional assistance

Keeping property within the family can be a big deal for some people, so a transfer process that is straightforward and inexpensive may be ideal. Avoiding fees like Capital Gains Tax can be done, but you must know how to avoid these charges and always speak with an accountant or tax representative to know exactly what fees you may be subject to.

Sell on your own with help from buyMyplace and avoid real estate agent commissions

Buy My Place Logo

Looking to sell? Fill in your details and a representative from buyMyplace will get in touch.

Sell your property with help from buyMyplace and avoid paying big commissions to agents.

  • Access the tools and information to sell on your own
  • Choose from various listing packages
  • Pay a flat fee and no commission costs

Images: ShutterStock

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Home Loan Offers

Important Information*
Logo for Athena Variable Home Loan - Refinance (Owner Occupier, P&I)
Athena Variable Home Loan - Refinance (Owner Occupier, P&I)

Owner occupiers looking to refinance can get one of the lowest rates in the market with this variable rate mortgage. $0 application fee and $0 ongoing fees. Refinancers only.

Logo for Virgin Reward Me Fixed Rate Home Loan - 2 Year $300k+ Special offer (Owner Occupier, P&I)
Virgin Reward Me Fixed Rate Home Loan - 2 Year $300k+ Special offer (Owner Occupier, P&I)

Buy your home and lock in a low rate for the first two years. Available with a 10% deposit. Earn Velocity Frequent Flyer Points at settlement, monthly and every three years, plus extra bonus points for a limited time.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

82 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    MariaAugust 31, 2017

    I have a question about the landtax tax claim and hope that you can help.
    last FY, I has 1 IP and thus my land tax cost is 3K.
    for this FI year my landtax cost is 12K as I had have another IP.
    Question. For the tax perspective, how do I claim back the Land tax on each property. Should I claim 3K land tax of the 1st IP and 9K on the second IP or should calculate the landtax cost of each IP based on their land value.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      HaroldSeptember 4, 2017Staff

      Hi Maria,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      You may want to read the information on this page to help and guide on how to get the tax return.

      I hope this information has helped.


  2. Default Gravatar
    PatriciaApril 10, 2017

    My mother died and left me the house and an adjoining residential block of land. Probate will not be final until the end of year. Can I gift the block of land to my husband and if so will stamp duty be applicable?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      HaroldApril 11, 2017Staff

      Hi Patricia,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      Our company is a financial comparison website and general information service designed to help consumers to make a better decision. Please note we do not represent any company we feature on our pages.

      With your current concern you would need to seek an advice from a solicitor for a legal and expert opinion.

      I hope this information has helped.


  3. Default Gravatar
    NatalieJanuary 19, 2017

    After our daughter’s marriage breakup, we took out a small mortgage loan and together with some of our savings bought a house for her and her two children in our names. Once her marital home was sold off, she paid off the mortgage loan and now owes us the remainder – paying us on a regular basis. We are keen to transfer the house into her name. Is this a relatively straightforward process?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      DeeJanuary 20, 2017Staff

      Hi Natalie,

      Thanks for your question.

      Please note that is a financial comparison and information service that helps consumers make better decisions. We are not experts when it comes to changing property ownership.

      Each state has different processes and fees relating to changing the property deed. It would be best to reach out to the local government agency that handles property titles and deeds to discuss the process involved in changing ownership.

      Additionally, our guide to changing property ownership may also help you.


  4. Avatarfinder Customer Care
    DeeOctober 13, 2016Staff

    HI Lyn,

    Thanks for your question.

    When you gift your property, generally, CGT still applies. The Australian Government refers to this process as a ‘CGT event’. As the ATO states, the property is calculated at market value if you:

    – Receive no money for your property
    – Receive less than the market value for your property; or,
    – Do not deal at arm’s length with the buyer during the sale event

    You can learn more how much CGT you will be paying for your transfer by reaching out to a Property Tax Specialists. Just provide your information on the above form.


  5. Default Gravatar
    MarkAugust 30, 2016

    Me and my younger sister are on a disability pension and still living at home with our parents who are also on a pension. My parents want to transfer the house over in our names so that my older brother and older sister cannot contest the property in the will.

    If I calculated this correctly, it will cost around $12,000 in stamp duty, if say the house was worth around $600,000. We can’t afford that! We will never sell the house, but will remain living in it long past our parents have moved on.

    Why is it such an absolute rip off to place a bit of ink on a piece of paper that says: the house now belongs to me and my sister?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      MayAugust 30, 2016Staff

      Hi Mark,

      Thank you for contacting we are a financial comparison website and general information service we are not mortgage specialists so can only offer general advice.

      Stamp duty is usually paid by the new owner when a property is being gifted or transferred to them, depending on where your property is located, some transfer may be exempt from stamp duty. It’s best to check with your state office of revenue if exemption might be available to you.

      Hope this helps.


  6. Default Gravatar
    AlisonAugust 26, 2016

    If my mother was to gift me the title of her house that she purchased in 2014 and currently lives in (and will continue to live in), will she be required to pay CGT given its her primary residence?
    I understand I would have to pay stamp duty on market value.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      MaySeptember 1, 2016Staff

      Hi Alison,

      Thank you for contacting we are a financial comparison website and general information service we are not mortgage specialists so can only offer general advice.

      CGT is actually applicable even when the property is being gifted. However, there are circumstances that CGT may not be applied if the property is your main place of residence and not for any profit-making purposes. So most likely, your mother may be exempt from paying CGT.


  7. Default Gravatar
    CarolynAugust 19, 2016

    i have lived in a family trust property for the last 20 years, paying rent – the property is going to be transferred into my name – what fees will i have to pay?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      MayAugust 19, 2016Staff

      Hi Carolyn,

      Thanks for your question.

      As a new owner of the property, most likely, you will have to pay for stamp duty, which is based on the value of the property. You can also find more information how this stamp duty being calculated on this page.

      You may also like to check with your state office of revenue if stamp duty exemption might be applied to you.

      I hope this has helped.


  8. Default Gravatar
    TracyAugust 8, 2016

    Hi,my husband and i will be knocking down our main residence of 22 years which is mortgage free and our daughter and son in law will be paying for the majority of a duplex to be built on the land.
    We will be putting their names on the title deeds to allow them to apply for a mortgage then will be separating into 2 titles at the end of construction.
    Is there a way to minimise stamp duty?

  9. Default Gravatar
    SonjaJune 27, 2016

    Hi there

    my sister and I currently have a mortgage on a house which is our primary residence. I am now married and will be moving out to buy a new residential property with my husband so my sister will be buying me out.

    Does she/we have to pay stamp duty on the existing property even though we both currently live in it?

    thanks a lot

    • Default Gravatar
      JodieJune 27, 2016

      Hi Sonja,

      Thank you for contacting we are a financial comparison website and general information service we are not able to offer and specialised advice.

      Stamp duty is a fee paid at time of purchase and often when refinancing depending on the circumstances, a mortgage broker can better confirm this for you, it is not something that you can be exempt from due to the property being your main place of residence. You will most likely be exempt from capital gains tax due to the property being the main place of residence for your sister and yourself and not for any profit-making purposes.


    • Default Gravatar
      SonjaJune 28, 2016

      thank you

  10. Default Gravatar
    DavidMarch 31, 2016

    my brother is gifting our family home. which our mother currently resides. the house has never been an investment property in the way of rental, so we have not gained an income from it. does he need to pay CGT? or are we exempt?


    • Default Gravatar
      HeatherApril 22, 2016

      My name is Heather. I am 61 and for the past 2 years live with and care for my 95yo dad in his home as he is unable to care for himself. I am on a carers pension. My dads home will be part of his Estate which will be divided equally between my 3 brothers and me. I am interested in continuing to live in the home after my dad’s death. My brothers are in agreement with the arrangement and I will pay them their share based on market value. Is it an advantage to me and/or my dad if I purchase the home now whilst I am on a pension as I believe stamp duty is less? My dad purchased the home in 1970.

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      BelindaApril 26, 2016Staff

      Hi Heather,

      Thanks for getting in touch.

      The rules surrounding stamp duty vary from state to state so any stamp duty concession that you may be entitled to will depend on the laws of your state government.

      Generally, pensioners, health card holders, and those receiving government benefits may be eligible for a duty concession or exemption but you’ll need to check with your local Office of State Revenue.

      Once you have this information, it should help you decide whether it would be beneficial for you to purchase the home now. You can learn more about the costs of changing property ownership here. Keep in mind that you may want to speak to a solicitor or conveyancer so that you fully understand the costs and process involved.

      All the best,

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      BelindaApril 1, 2016Staff

      Hi David,

      Thanks for reaching out.

      I’ve sent you an email to follow up with this enquiry.


Ask a question
Go to site