You qualify for the Australian Defence Bank Recruit Salary Saver Account if you apply for it within four months of marching in as a new Australian Defence Force (ADF) recruit. This account lets your money earn competitive interest. It gives you access to your money in different ways. By meeting a simple depository criterion you don’t have to pay any monthly account keeping fees.
What are the features of the Australian Defence Bank Recruit Salary Saver Account?
- Interest. The money in your Recruit Salary Saver Account earns 2.00% p.a. interest. The bank calculates interest on your everyday balance and pays it monthly.
- Visa debit card. This account comes with a linked Visa debit card that you can use to transact the world over, at ATMs and EFTPOS terminals alike. All you have to do is look for the Visa logo. You can use your card to make fee-free withdrawals from rediATMs across Australia. You can also use your card details to pay bills and make purchases online and over the phone.
- Visa payWave. This debit card comes with Visa payWave technology that allows you to make contactless payments for purchases less than $100.
- Online and phone banking. You can use the bank’s Internet and phone banking platforms, or turn to its mobile banking app. These platforms let you view transaction history and account statements. You can also use them to carry out different banking functions.
- BPAY access. As a Recruit Salary Saver account holder you can view and pay your bills using BPAY.
- Account keeping fees. This account attracts a monthly account keeping fee of $4. The bank waives this fee if you deposit $1,500 or more per month in your account. The Visa debit card does not attract any annual fees.
- Fee-free transactions. You don’t have to pay any fees for Internet, mobile and phone banking transactions. You can make unlimited EFTPOS transactions within Australia for free. BPAY transactions are free as well.
- Minimum balance. There is no minimum balance requirement to open or maintain this account.
- Account statements. The bank sends account statements once every quarter. You can get statements more frequently or request for copies. However, a fee applies. You can opt to get eStatements, for which you don’t have to pay any fees.
- SMS alerts. If you choose to receive SMS alerts you’ll have to pay a per-message fee. You can choose from different options for getting SMS alerts using the bank’s online banking platform.
- Financial Claims Scheme. The money in your Australian Military Bank deposit accounts, up to a total of $250,000, receives protection through the government’s Financial Claims Scheme.
- 24 hour access to funds through Internet Banking
- Linked Visa debit card
- No monthly account fee if you meet deposit requirements
- Only available for members
How do I apply for the Australian Defence Bank Recruit Salary Saver Account?
When you apply for this everyday banking account you agree to become a member of the Australian Military Bank. Applying is easy and you can do so online, over the phone or by visiting any Australian Military Bank branch. To apply you have to meet these eligibility criteria:
- Minimum age. You should be at least 18 years of age.
- Residency requirements. You should be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of this country.
- Depository requirements. There is no account opening or ongoing minimum balance requirement with this account.
- Other requirements. You should have joined the ADF no more than four months before applying.
In order to complete the application successfully, you’ll have to submit information that includes:
- Identification. To complete the identification verification process online keep your Australian driver’s license or Medicare card handy.
- Tax file number. If you don’t want the bank to deduct withholding tax from the interest you earn you should provide your tax file number.
- Other information. The application requires your name, date of birth, residential address, phone number and email address.
If, for any reason, you cannot complete your online application in one go, you can save it and get back to it later. You can track the status of your application using the reference number you get when you submit it.