Ask Finder: What’s the difference between tenants in common and joint tenants?

If you're buying a property with someone else, the ownership structure you use could have big implications.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Choosing between a tenants in common and joint tenants arrangement can have a major impact should you ever need to sell your property. The two different structures won't matter as much while you co-own the property together, but if you find yourself in a situation where you go your separate ways as individuals, the way you've chosen your ownership structure will make all the difference.

Joint tenants

As joint tenants, you co-own the property as a couple or even as a group. The property is considered to be owned in equal shares. In the event that one party dies, a "right of survivorship" exists, meaning the full ownership of the property automatically transfers to the surviving tenant.

This is a common ownership structure for married couples. In the event of a relationship breakdown, a joint tenancy can be ended by one partner transferring ownership to the other, one partner buying out the other's share or by transferring the ownership to a tenancy in common agreement.

Tenants in common

Tenants in common can own unequal shares of a property. For example, if one owner has financially contributed more to the property, they can own a larger share. This type of tenancy agreement is often used by people who have already contributed towards ownership of a property before adding another individual to the title.

With tenancy in common, there is no right of survivorship. Upon death, the deceased's share of the property is transferred to their estate and will be distributed according to their will.

The structure you choose will depend upon your individual circumstances. If you want the assurance that, in the event of the death of one partner, ownership of the property will pass to the surviving partner, a joint tenant agreement is best.

However, if you already own a property and are thinking of adding your partner to the title, you might want to consider a tenants in common agreement to reflect the equity you've already built up.

Compare home loans

More guides on Finder

Home Loan Offers

Important Information*

Find the right home loan now

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site