LPG is a fuel source that works as an alternative to natural gas for heating, cooking and more. It's usually delivered to your house in metal canisters, rather than being pumped in through a supply line.
LPG prices vary depending on where you live and the state of the global market. You'll need to check with an LPG retailer to find out how much it will cost you.
In this guide, we'll explain all you need to know about LPG and who supplies it.
Why compare energy plans with Finder?
We don't charge extra. Prices shown on Finder are the same as those you get directly from energy providers.
We update our plans from providers daily so you can make an informed decision.
We've helped over 1.39 million people compare energy plans in the last 3 years.
Some of the main gas suppliers in Australia include:
It's impossible to define a general price for LPG, since it depends on the following things, among others:
- Global supply prices based on Saudi Arabia benchmark (updated monthly)
- Australian exchange rates (since global prices are defined in USD)
- Transportation costs and location
According to several fuel tracking websites, LPG prices in Australia span about $0.70 - $1.00 per litre, but with huge variation regionally and over time. All of the LPG providers listed on this page do not publish standard prices for their fuel. For example, on the website for Origin Energy it states:
"When you request a quote for LPG, we review the delivery arrangements in your local area to determine the best way to get you gas at a fair price" - Origin Energy
LPG vs natural gas: Pricing
When trying to decide between LPG and natural gas to fuel your devices, there are two main costs to consider:
Compare gas plans in your state
- Supply. Natural gas customers have to pay a "supply" charge for simply being connected to the network without usage, usually 60 cents to $1 per day. With LPG, the equivalent is a yearly service charge for gas cylinders. While exact prices vary, it's far less than natural gas supply charges.
- Usage. LPG is more expensive than natural gas in dollar per megajoule terms, meaning you'll pay more for the same amount of heat output.
Why you can trust Finder's energy experts
We've done the work
We've reviewed hundreds of energy plans and written 200+ guides to help you navigate the Aussie energy market. Our experts are seen on TV, print and digital media.
We're here to help
In the last 3 years, we've helped over 1.39 million people compare energy plans by explaining features clearly and simplifying confusing terms and conditions.
Learn more about energy
Our energy guides can help you compare and understand what plan is best for you.