We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Think of all the medical treatment you need throughout your life: check-ups, medications, X-rays, surgery. Our pets aren't much different. And since they're not eligible for Medicare, those costs can add up quickly. Comprehensive pet insurance covers accidents and illnesses and can also help out with the little stuff like vaccines, worming and teeth cleaning.
Woolworths Pet Insurance
Life time Cover
- Woolworths will Price Beat any lower comparable quote you find
- Get 12 months free VetAssist with every policy, so you can have an online chat with a licensed Australian Vet if you're worried about your pet. Valued at $199.
- Claim up to 80% of your vet bill back.
- $10 from every new policy goes to PetRescue, so you're helping a rescue pet find their furrever home.
- Enjoy 10% off your Woolworths grocery shop every month.
- Choice of $0 and $100 excess
- No multi-pet discount
|Medicines and Drugs||Yes|
|Visit any Licensed Vet in Australia||Yes|
Comprehensive policies will generally cover the following:
- Accident cover. Helps cover vet fees relating to physical injuries, such as electrocution, broken bones, fractures and snake bites.
- Illness cover. Reimburses you for all vet bills, up to the limits and chosen reimbursement percentage of your policy, except for certain conditions that are specifically excluded.
- Routine care allowance. This is usually an optional add-on providing benefits to spend on routine care expenses, such as microchipping, neutering and teeth cleaning.
- Additional benefits. Gives your pet emergency boarding cover, overseas pet cover, tick paralysis benefits and can cover the cost of essential, humane euthanasia.
One insurer’s comprehensive policy might be equivalent to a mid-level policy from a different insurer. You’ll need to look at a few specific factors when choosing the pet policy that’s right for you.
- What does it cover? It’s usually clear whether a given plan has both accident and illness cover, but you will need to look for some of the less common additions, such as dental cover, and check the exclusions.
- How much does it reimburse you? Pet insurance policies reimburse you a certain percentage of medical costs. The typical amount for comprehensive cover is 80%, but it’s possible to find policies that go all the way up to 100% reimbursement, at the cost of higher premiums.
- What’s the annual limit? The annual limit is the total amount you can claim per year. Comprehensive plans typically provide around $15,000 of cover, but once again it’s possible to find higher limits with select policies of up to $20,000. Sub-limits will also typically apply to specific conditions, such as cruciate ligament claims.
A number of factors affect the cost of a pet insurance policy. The age of your pet makes a significant difference as older animals are more susceptible to a range of health issues, which translates to higher premiums with age. Certain breeds are also more at risk of specific health issues and will also grow up to be very different from each other. Larger breeds of dog, for example, will cost more to feed and house than others and usually also attract higher premiums.
Your policy options also affect premiums.
- Your excess. As with other forms of insurance, pet plans typically require you to pay an excess when making a claim. You can generally choose your own excess. You can opt for a higher excess to reduce premiums or select a $0 excess to avoid it entirely. If you select a lower excess, you will have to pay more in premiums.
- Your chosen reimbursement. Many policies give you a range of options, and let you select your own reimbursement amount up to a specific cap, such as 80%.
- Multi-pet discounts. If you’re looking for cover for multiple animals, it can be a good idea to get them all from the same provider. Many providers will give discounts based on the number of animals insured with them.
- Your payment plan. Some insurers will let you opt to pay premiums monthly, fortnightly or annually. It often costs less to opt for annual payments.
The example below provides an example quote from a known pet insurer:
|Cover Type||Breed||Age||Annual Premium|
|Premium Accident and Illness Cover||Labrador||5||$1095|
Disclaimer: Please note that this example should only be viewed as a guide for what you may expect to pay for a comprehensive policy.
You can use the above options to help tailor your policy’s costs to suit your needs, but it’s also a good idea to consider other ways of reducing costs.
- Access discounts. Australia’s pet insurance market is relatively small and competitive. Many insurers extend discounts to new customers.
- Utilise routine care. The total limits on your routine care allowance can often exceed your cost. You can save money by using its full limits each year on benefits such as teeth cleaning, which also helps your pet stay healthy and reduces the odds of it needing more expensive treatments later.
- Keep your pet happy and healthy. Health and happiness can often go hand in hand.
Comprehensive policies available on finder.com.au
The complex nature of animal health needs and the differences between policies mean it’s often a good idea to consult your vet before deciding on any one option. Where possible, you should do this before your puppy or kitten is eight weeks old, so you’re ready to find cover as soon as you can.
It’s often worth getting quotes from multiple insurers and checking how to customise a policy in line with your vet’s recommendations. This will help you to find the highest level of cover available and make sure you and your pet enjoy your time together to the fullest.
|Amount reimbursed||Annual limits||Accident and illness cover||Optional dental cover available||Routine care available||Get a quote|
|Pet Insurance Australia||Up to 80%||$15,145||Enquire|
|Bow Wow Meow||Up to 80%||Choice of $8,000 or $12,000||Enquire|
|Woolworths||Up to 80%||$24,000||Enquire|
|RSPCA||Up to 80%||$20,000||Enquire|
*Disclaimer: The products compared on this page are chosen from a range of offers available to us and are not representative of all the products available in the market. There is no perfect order or perfect ranking system for the products we list on our Site, so we provide you with the functionality to self-select, re-order and compare products. The initial display order is influenced by a range of factors including conversion rates, product costs and commercial arrangements, so please don't interpret the listing order as an endorsement or recommendation from us. We're happy to provide you with the tools you need to make better decisions, but we'd like you to make your own decisions and compare and assess products based on your own preferences, circumstances and needs.
More guides on finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Kora Organics discount codes and coupons October 2020 | 50% off skincare and makeup
Save big on award-winning skincare solutions with these amazing Kora Organics discount codes.
Artificial turf installation services
How to find and book a quality artificial turf installation service.
Best weed killers in Australia
These are the eight best weed killers you can buy right now in Australia.
7 things I learned from having to cancel my domestic trip | A couple of travel makers
Because unforeseen circumstances do happen.
Free creative resume template (Australia)
A creative resume template can get you a step closer to landing your dream job.
Hotel health and safety measures that will help keep you safe during COVID-19
Have a safe stay on your next Australian getaway with these hotel health and safety measures.
How to start a small business from home
6 tips to start a successful home based business.
Pets in apartments: Sydney ruling sparks insurance questions
The NSW Supreme Court has given the go-ahead for pets in apartments. But there are things to consider before moving a furry friend into your home.
5 weird Amazon Prime Day deals that are worth buying
Here are five cool and weird Amazon Prime Day deals you didn't realise you needed: from beach metal detectors to travel telescope kits.
You might like these...
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?
Ask an Expert