Petbarn pet insurance
How does Petbarn cover pets?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Petbarn knows both pets and insurance. With flexible cover options, multi-pet discounts and free rewards, Petbarn pet insurance might be the ideal option for you and your furry friend.
Petbarn pet insurance is not currently available via Finder. But don't fret! You can head to their website at www.petbarn.com.au for more information or compare a bunch of other pet insurance companies with Finder
What cover options does Petbarn offer?
There are three levels of cover to balance your costs:
- Saver Plus - Basic cover
- Essential - Mid-level cover
- Ultimate - High level cover
Each cover the same range of conditions but differ in the annual limits and percentage of vet bill coverage.
At the ultimate level, your plan covers 80% of vet bills to a maximum of $20,000 per year.
Animal lovers can enjoy a 10% multi-pet discount for insuring more than one pet. New customers can also sign up for a free rewards book valued at over $1,000, as thanks for doing right by your furry friend.
You’re eligible for lifetime cover if you maintain it, however your pet must be over 8 weeks old to sign up.
Insurance can help fund veterinary bills if your pet is being treated for a condition covered under your policy.
Petbarn cover is divided into two types of treatments.
Treatments for injuries caused by accidents
This specifically refers to:
- Bone fractures
- Snake bite toxicity
- Traumatic ligament or tendon injuries
- Bite wounds or fight wound abscesses
- Lacerations or abrasions of tissue, skin or mucous membrane due to external violence
As well as injuries caused by car accidents, burns, electrocutions or allergic reactions to insect bites (other than tick or flea bites).
Treatments for illnesses
This refers to treatments for any illnesses your pet might encounter, unless it’s excluded or not payable based on other policy conditions.
What exclusions should I be aware of?
Petbarn won’t cover:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Illness caused by parasites (except paralysis tick cover)
- More than one incident of blockage or obstruction due to swallowing a foreign object per policy period
Petbarn won’t cover these specific conditions, regardless of whether your dog or cat is vaccinated against it:
- Kennel cough
- Infectious canine hepatitis
- Canine distemper
- Leukaemia (FeLV)
- Feline Immuno Deficiency Virus (FIV)
- Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)
- Viral rhinotracheitis
- Herpes virus
- All forms of cat flu
Accident cover won’t pay for any of the following health events, however your pet might be insured under illness cover where applicable.
- Patella luxations (dislocating kneecap)
- Elbow and hip dysplasia
- Fractured teeth
- Toxicity (other than resulting from a confirmed snake bite)
- Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD)
Waiting periods also apply. You cannot claim for injuries that result from the following conditions within the specified waiting periods after taking out cover. For example, a cruciate ligament injury before 6 months of cover.
- 30 days: Treatments for tick paralysis.
- 6 months: Cruciate ligament conditions. (This could be waived on application)
- 6 months: Treatments covered under the dental illness benefit section.
If your pet is being used as a work animal, it may not be covered for specific conditions such as pregnancy.
What else is covered?
Petbarn pet insurance also includes a range of other benefits:
- Routine care: Benefits payable for routine health treatments.
- Dental illness benefit: Treatments for certain dental illnesses.
- Emergency boarding: Helps cover boarding costs if you’re unexpectedly hospitalised and no one is available to take care of your pet.
- Paralysis tick benefit: Treatments for paralysis resulting from tick bites.
- Pet overseas travel insurance: Covers your pet if it's travelling with you overseas.
- Essential euthanasia: Pays out for the cost of euthanising a pet on humane grounds.
How much does Petbarn pet insurance cost?
Your pet insurance cost could be influenced by the following factors:
- The gender, breed and age of your pet
- The level of cover you choose
- Your excess
- If your pet is desexed
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Free consignment agreement templates
Our guide to using a free template to write a consignment agreement.
Best split system air conditioners in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of split system air conditioners to determine the best available in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Best camping mattresses in Australia
These are the 6 best camping mattresses you can get in Australia right now.
Best projectors in Australia
Here are the 7 best projectors you can buy right now for all your home theatre and gaming needs.
Business courses online in Australia
Searching for a career in business and not sure where to start? Find out here.
Best weed killers in Australia
These are the eight best weed killers you can buy right now in Australia.
Online first aid courses in Australia
Be prepared to help in any situation. Here's what you need to know about taking an online first aid course.
Best screen protectors in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of phone films of all types to determine the best screen protectors in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Best Beard Oils in Australia
These are the 6 best beard oils you can buy right now in Australia.
You might like these...
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?
Ask an Expert