We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
With three cover options, multi-pet discounts and free rewards, Petbarn pet insurance might be the ideal option for you and your furry friend. See what's included below.
- Up to 100% of eligible vet bills covered. This is higher than most other providers on the market, who generally offer 80-85%.
- Friends for Life points rewards program - Earn points on every dollar spent on your premium, redeemable at Petbarn stores or Greencross vets clinics.
- Only the Total Cover policy includes coverage for dental conditions, anxiety conditions and alternative therapies.
Review by our pet insurance expert Alexandra Koster
Petbarn pet insurance is not currently available via Finder. But don't fret! You can head to their website at www.petbarn.com.au for more information or compare a bunch of other pet insurance companies with Finder.
What cover options does Petbarn offer?
Petbarn offers three policies: Core Cover, Core Plus Cover and Total Cover. Here's a summary of what they include:
- Core Cover. This reimburses you for 90% of eligible vet bills (65% if your pet is over 8 years old) and covers you for accidents and illnesses, paralysis tick treatment and emergency boarding. There's a $500 per condition limit and no overall annual policy limit. There's no excess.
- Core Plus Cover. This reimburses you for up to 90% of eligible vet bills (65% for pets over 8 years old) and covers everything you get with Core, plus cover for cruciate ligament conditions. There's no excess.
- Total Cover. This covers up to 100% of eligible vet bills (65% for pets over 8 years old). It includes cover for cruciate ligament conditions, accidental injuries and illnesses and other treatments like behavioural therapy, dental illness and prescription diets. There's no excess.
Insurance can help fund veterinary bills if your pet is being treated for a condition covered under your policy.
Petbarn cover is divided into two types of treatments.
Treatments for injuries caused by accidents
This specifically refers to:
- Bone fractures
- Snake bite toxicity
- Traumatic ligament or tendon injuries
- Bite wounds or fight wound abscesses
- Lacerations or abrasions of tissue, skin or mucous membrane due to external violence
As well as injuries caused by car accidents, burns, electrocutions or allergic reactions to insect bites (other than tick or flea bites).
Treatments for illnesses
This refers to treatments for any illnesses your pet might encounter, unless it’s excluded or not payable based on other policy conditions.
What exclusions should I be aware of?
Petbarn won’t cover:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Illness caused by parasites (except paralysis tick cover)
- More than one incident of blockage or obstruction due to swallowing a foreign object per policy period
Petbarn won’t cover these specific conditions, regardless of whether your dog or cat is vaccinated against it:
- Kennel cough
- Infectious canine hepatitis
- Canine distemper
- Leukaemia (FeLV)
- Feline Immuno Deficiency Virus (FIV)
- Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)
- Viral rhinotracheitis
- Herpes virus
- All forms of cat flu
Accident cover won’t pay for any of the following health events, however your pet might be insured under illness cover where applicable.
- Patella luxations (dislocating kneecap)
- Elbow and hip dysplasia
- Fractured teeth
- Toxicity (other than resulting from a confirmed snake bite)
- Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD)
Waiting periods also apply. You cannot claim for injuries that result from the following conditions within the specified waiting periods after taking out cover. For example, a cruciate ligament injury before 6 months of cover.
- 30 days: Treatments for tick paralysis.
- 6 months: Cruciate ligament conditions. (This could be waived on application)
- 6 months: Treatments covered under the dental illness benefit section.
If your pet is being used as a work animal, it may not be covered for specific conditions such as pregnancy.
What else is covered?
Petbarn pet insurance also includes a range of other benefits:
- Routine care: Benefits payable for routine health treatments.
- Dental illness benefit: Treatments for certain dental illnesses.
- Emergency boarding: Helps cover boarding costs if you’re unexpectedly hospitalised and no one is available to take care of your pet.
- Paralysis tick benefit: Treatments for paralysis resulting from tick bites.
- Pet overseas travel insurance: Covers your pet if it's travelling with you overseas.
- Essential euthanasia: Pays out for the cost of euthanising a pet on humane grounds.
How much does Petbarn pet insurance cost?
Your pet insurance cost could be influenced by the following factors:
- The gender, breed and age of your pet
- The level of cover you choose
- Your excess
- If your pet is desexed
Compare alternative pet insurance policies
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Why the BHP, Rio and FMG share prices are rising
Shares in mining giants BHP, Rio Tinto and Fortescue Metals have climbed between 10%-16% in the last 6 months.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $1,000 off Dell gaming laptops, 30% off kids toys, win $10,000 with Optus.
eBay EOFY sales: Best deals from Apple, KitchenAid and more
Score up to 65% off best-selling products with these top end of financial year offers.
You might like these...
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?
Ask an Expert