You have 24 hours to grab Telstra's latest phone deals.Read more…
Porting your mobile number
Keeping your current mobile number is easy, with the entire process taking as little as 2 hours.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Porting your mobile number simply means you're transferring your existing number with a new phone provider.
"Porting" is basically the same as transferring, where you get to keep your original phone number and take it either to a different network or a different provider.
How do I keep my mobile number?
Before we dive into the steps, there are 2 important things to remember when you're looking to port your number to a new provider.
- Do not cancel your existing mobile plan before your number's been ported and you've received confirmation. If you do, you could lose your number.
- Make sure the number is under your name. If it's not, you will need to request a change of ownership first.
To transfer your mobile number to a new plan:
1. Confirm the number is under your name
You won't be able to port your number unless you have ownership of it. If it is, you're good to go.
2. Buy your new SIM
Simply buy your new SIM either online or in-store to begin the activation process.
During sign-up, you'll receive a request to 'keep my existing number' or wording similar to this. Select this option and your new provider will handle the rest.
- Good to know: Rules set by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) state that a provider must allow you to port your number to another service if you request this. If your old provider refuses to let you go, you're within your right to complain.
3. Wait for porting to complete
Once you've received confirmation that your number has been ported from your new provider, your old plan will automatically be cancelled.
This can take between a few hours to 2 days. In rare cases, it can take up to a week.
Remember to pay off any final bills.
Can I use my old SIM while porting?
You should be able to use your old SIM until your number is ported.
There are a few things you should keep in mind of:
- Make sure you've activated your new SIM once your number's been ported. Otherwise, you won't be able to make calls and texts.
- Once you've received confirmation that your number's been ported, pay off any pending bills with your old provider.
- Oftentimes, your last bill will be finalised after a few days but you won't be charged extra. That's because your old plan gets automatically cancelled once porting is complete.
- Good to know: In case you run into any trouble activating your new SIM, you will still be able to browse, stream, WhatsApp and more using Wi-Fi.
Compare mobile plans for a better deal
Haven't decided which plan you're going to transfer your number to? You can check out the latest mobile deals in our comparison table below.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Frequently asked questions
Latest mobile news
That's 1 major streaming service you can save on this year.Read more…
Get the first new phone of 2022 from Telstra, Optus, Vodafone or Woolworths Mobile.Read more…
The only cheat sheet you'll need for getting the best phone deals in 2022.Read more…
Get yourself some freebies to ring in the new year.Read more…
Get heaps of data for a steal with Optus.Read more…
More guides on Finder
N95 vs KN95 face masks: What’s the difference?
It can be confusing knowing the difference between a KN95 and N95 face mask. We look at them both and where to buy them online.
9 tips for founders I learned from launching a startup in a pandemic
Here’s what Ryan Edwards-Pritchard learned so far about building a startup in the grips of a pandemic.
How to watch Arsenal vs Liverpool in the Carabao Cup live and free in Australia
Arsenal and Liverpool are locked at 0-0 ahead of their Carabao Cup semi-final second leg this week.
Australian rapid antigen test statistics
Heres how stock levels and prices are holding up for RATs in Australia.
How to Stake Olympus DAO (OHM)
Learn how to stake OHM and receive high yield from one of DeFi's most ambitious experiments.
Retroactive airdrop farming: How to prepare yourself for 2022
Being early to a new DeFi ecosystem can be very profitable – here's how to game the system and potentially earn yourself some tokens.
What is reporting season and why does it matter to investors?
Reporting season is a 2-week or so period where investors can see the results for a large number of publicly traded companies.
Bank First Green Personal Loan review
Bank First’s variable rate green personal loan can be used to make environmentally friendly purchases for your home.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Blackstone Minerals (BSX ↑12.7%), Weebit Nano (WBT ↑9.7%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Thursday 20 January 2022.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
This Finder exclusive offer gets you 50% off for 3 months.
Avoid bill shock and control your spending with the best-value offers.
Ask an Expert