Joint Life Insurance
A joint life insurance policy covers two people. It pays out if one person in a couple passes away, after which the policy ends.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you're looking to take out life insurance with your partner, you may want to consider taking out a joint policy. Joint life insurance (also known as combined life insurance) provides cover for both you and your partner on a single policy. Joint life insurance could work out cheaper than two standalone policies. What's more, it can be less hassle to manage one direct debit payment and one policy.
What are some of the benefits of joint life insurance?
Joint life insurance covers both partners, but only pays out one time. Some benefits of this joint life insurance include:
- Joint cover can be both an affordable and convenient solution for couples looking to take out cover
- You may be able to receive a joint policy discount
- Policies can be tailored to you and your partner's circumstances.
So should you apply for a joint life insurance policy as a couple? Or does it make sense to take out two single policies? See the differences below:
|Who is covered?|
|In what events will it payout?|
|When should a couple consider this type of cover?|
What the main advantages of a joint policy?
Joint term life insurance has numerous benefits and advantages that an individual plan cannot deliver. Knowing the differences between the two and the advantages connected to each is very important in order to make the best personal decision. Other advantages are listed below.
- Affordability. If there is a glaring fact that most life insurance policy holders can obviously see, is its affordability. This is probably one of the most accessible options for married couples. The cost of insuring two people instead of one is cheaper, which in turn affects the price of the policy itself.
- Peace of mind for both parties. If only one of you has life insurance cover, the peace of mind is only one way, as if the unprotected person dies first the surviving partner gets nothing. However, if you have joint life insurance cover, both parties are protected, so no matter which party passes away first, the other will get a payout to ensure financial security for the family. This means that you both get to benefit from peace of mind and financial protection for the future.
- Reasonable payment options. A joint life insurance policy has a reasonable payment option that should never be underestimated or passed over. The ratio of price to quality is something that makes the option something that all families worth considering. The policy can be more beneficial and an advantage to young couples who are just starting their life together. The payment received upon the death of the first partner is very significant in comparison to the amount invested in the policy. In all instances, joint life insurance is less expensive than an individual life insurance plan.
- Renewable. Another benefit worth mentioning is that the policy can be renewed once the agreed upon term is over. This is another huge benefit, signifying that once the insurance is agreed upon, it will provide certainty and financial independence to the surviving parent and their children.
- Assistance. In addition to the above mentioned benefits, a joint insurance policy provides financial assistance upon diagnosis of a critical illness. Since this situation can cause a lot of stress that may affect your relationship and your family, it is always wise to be prepared for such serious problems that can affect a household in a very negative way as early as possible. A joint term life insurance is a wise investment in future security and financial stability, the affordability of which is another advantage.
Who offers joint discounts on cover?
Yes. There's usually a joint policy discount when you apply for cover either with a spouse or another family member.
|Provider||Combined policy discount||Conditions||Apply|
|Zurich Ezicover||Learn more|
|InsuranceLine||The younger adult receives a discount when you apply on the same policy|
|Virgin||No conditions stated in PDS|
|AIA||Annual premiums for each must at least by $500||Speak to an adviser|
|AMP Elevate||Speak to an adviser|
|Asteron||You might be eligible for discounts if you apply at the same time with immediate family members or business partners in the same entity||Speak to an adviser|
|ClearView||Discount available at the time of application where there is a family group relationship or business relationship between the persons insured.||Speak to an adviser|
|OnePath||Available if you link your policy with an eligible family member, business partner or combination of family members and business partners||Speak to an adviser|
How do I compare joint cover?
It is important to remember that the cost and coverage levels that come with joint life insurance cover can vary based on the provider and the plan you choose. You should therefore make sure you compare life insurance plans and providers in order to find the most suitable and affordable plan for your needs. You will find a range of plans available from a number of different providers, which means that you should have plenty of choice. However, when you compare the various life insurance plans available you should make sure you look at key points such as:
1. Identify your needs
Finding a solution for a certain problem begins with the acknowledgement of the problem says the cliche. Whether or not you decide that you and your spouse need life insurance, consider the following questions:
- Will your savings be sufficient to shoulder all expected and unexpected finances should disability, illness, or death occur in the family?
- Is there a possibility of selling your house because you will be unable to pay the mortgage should you suddenly become disabled?
- Can you envision putting your child's education in jeopardy and the whole family relying on welfare?
2. Understand the cost of monthly premiums
Money is important and the price of the goods you buy makes a big impact on the family budget. If you are a first-time buyer, as much as affordability is important, you should also consider the extent of its cover. Will you opt for a cheap policy with less cover or go for an expensive one but contains features that are not really necessary for your needs? Your goal is to find a policy in-between; therefore identifying your needs together as a couple or as a family before shopping for a life insurance policy is a crucial step to finding your ideal life insurance cover.
3. Determine how much you need
Cover is very important which brings you to the type of policy you want to purchase. Will you need a life insurance cover until you retire or for a certain period of time only, say 10 or 20 years? Is the benefit indexed with the inflation? Is there a hidden catch to it? Are there any exclusions and restrictions? In order to see these things, you can educate yourself by dong a little research, ask the help of an insurance expert, and finally, read the Product Disclosure Statement of your policy where all the details can be found.
Speak with a broker about joint life insurance
More guides on Finder
Virgin Australia announces free flights competition for vaccinated Aussies
Roll up your sleeves because COVID-19 vaccine incentives are on their way.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best deals in Australia today
Today's best Prime Day deals include: 50% off Oodie winter hoodies, 45% off Bose 700 headphones, cheap TEAC 4K UHD smart TVs.
Best Australian EOFY sales 2021: Dyson, eBay + heaps more
Score big this end of financial year with 85% off homewares, 80% off fashion and 60% off tech.
Madison Beer and Vanessa Hudgens launch skincare brand Know Beauty
Know Beauty includes cleansers, moisturisers and serums rooted in DNA personalisation. Here's how you can get your hands on it.
2020 MG HS Review: First impression
MG has just launched their new HS SUV, which will replace the current GS.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
Amazon Prime Day: Best global store deals to shop before time runs out
Samsung, Hasbro, KitchenAid, Lenovo, Nautica – take advantage of these Prime Day deals before they disappear.
Barefoot Investor: How to watch Scott Pape’s Money Movement docu-series online
This fresh docu-series features the one and only Barefoot Investor.
Ask an Expert