The Illawarra Credit Union is a member owned financial service provider, open to all Australians to join. The Access Account is structured the same like any bank’s everyday accounts, giving account holders benefits like internet banking, Visa debit card access and over the counter transactions. With a number of options for handling your day to day banking needs, you will find it easy to manage your spending.
What are the Illawarra Credit Union Access Account features?
The features that come with the Access Account make it a good choice for Australians who are looking to simplify their daily banking transactions. Compare them with what you see with bank’s transaction accounts to determine which one is best suited for the way you spend your money:
- Membership. In order to apply for any banking product with Illawarra Credit Union, you must first apply to become a shareholder. The fee is $2 to join, and membership is open to all Australians.
- Monthly account keeping fees. The account keeping fee is based on how much money you have in all of your Illawarra accounts. In months where that total is less than $2,000, you will be charged a $6 account keeping fee.
- Account accessibility. You can access your account around the clock using mobile, internet and phone banking. ATM, EFTPOS and Visa debit card purchases are also part of the account as is a cheque book facility, electronic transactions, and in branch transactions.
- Visa debit card. The account may be linked to a Visa debit card, which gives you direct access to your cash, and is welcomed in more places around the world than any other card. Use it to make purchases online and over the phone, as well as at point of sale terminals in your favourite shops.
- Visa payWave. A feature of the Visa debit card, payWave allows you to make purchases of under $100 simply by waving your card at the terminal.
- ATM withdrawals. You are charged a $2 fee for making cash withdrawals with your Visa debit card.
- Withdrawal limits. There is a combined EFTPOS and ATM withdrawal limit of $1,000 daily.
- Foreign transaction fee. 3% of the Australian dollar amount is charged to your account for transactions that involve converting foreign currency to the Australian dollar.
- Access your money 24/7
- Linked Visa debit card
- BPAY available
- Minimum opening balance required
How do I apply for the Illawarra Credit Union Access Account?
Illawarra Credit Union makes it easy to apply by providing a link to an online application that can found by visiting their website. First, however, you will need to become a member, which can also be done by filling out an online application. Other eligibility requirements directly related to the Access Account include:
- Minimum age. Illawarra Credit Union does not specify any minimum age requirement either for becoming a member or opening this transaction account.
- Residency requirements. Only Australian permanent residents or citizens are eligible for the Access Account.
- Depository requirements. The minimum opening balance is one dollar for this everyday account.
If you are eligible for the Access Account and are getting ready to proceed to the application the following documentation will be useful to have on hand in order to make sure it is completed correctly:
- Tax file number. While not obligatory, Illawarra Credit Union will use your tax file number (TFN) and/or TFN exemption codes to determine how much tax to withhold on any interest earnings you may receive.
- Identification. Identification documents acceptable include your driver’s licence, passport or Medicare card.
- Member number. You Illawarra Credit Union member number will be asked for as you complete the application.
Opening a new transaction account should only take a couple of days so long as you provide the necessary information and Illawarra Credit Union is able to verify your identity. Once activated, the BSB and account number will be sent to you along with your new Visa debit card.