Telstra SIM-only plans give you access to the carrier’s exceptional network without a bundled handset.
Telstra's SIM-only plans are listed below, with further analysis - be sure to filter the results to suit your data, call/text & budget requirements with the "Filter Results" button.
Meet the team
Alex Kidman is a multi-award-winning consumer technology journalist and the Tech & Telco Editor at finder.com.au. He's been writing about consumer technology topics for more than two decades.
Info last updated 19 Dec, 2018.
- Plans audited & page updated
- Telstra SIM-only plans audited for accuracy, page reformatted.
19 Dec, 2018
Unlimited national/international talk/text + 60GB data for $59/month from Telstra deals
Telstra runs the largest 4G network in Australia providing services on both contract and prepaid terms as well as the 12/24 month and month by month contract SIM-only services detailed here. It has the widest current deployment of 4G services through both metropolitan and regional areas of Australia. Its 4G network, which it dubs "4GX", offers the highest category speeds of any network in Australia in metropolitan areas, and in many regional areas it’s effectively the only network choice to speak of.
- "4GX" Network Telstra's 700MHz "4GX" network provides some of the fastest speeds you'll see on any mobile network in Australia, network conditions & location permitting. If you've got a modern smartphone, it'll generally be speedy on Telstra's network.
- Unlimited talk & text All Telstra's SIM-only plans come with unlimited standard calls and texts
- Peace of Mind data: choice of being slowed to 1.5Mbps after data allowance is reached or $10/GB excess data charges available at full network speed.
- Apple Music Telstra's 12 month SIM-only plans include a bonus Apple Music subscription for 6 months
- Access to Telstra Air. Telstra provides access to its Telstra Air Wi-Fi network for most contract plans.
- Premium pricing. Telstra pitches itself as a premium network and prices accordingly, which means in a direct comparison it is often the most expensive option.
- Less generous data allowances. Telstra typically offers less data for your dollar than its rivals.
- Can cost more than you think. Because these are postpaid plans, if you do use a lot of data, roam overseas or call internationally you can end up paying more, unlike the full cap of a prepaid plan.
How much does Telstra Mobile cost?
Telstra’s SIM-only plans are offered on either a 12 or 24 month basis, with slightly different pricing structures but the same overall plan naming scheme. Like its contract mobile 24 month plans it offers plans with S, M and L naming schemes, relating largely to the cost of the plan and the inclusions, most notably the data inclusions.
All Telstra's SIM-only plans come with unlimited standard calls and texts every month. The baseline 12-month S plan costs $39 per month and comes with 15GB of data, the M plan costs $59 per month and comes with 30GB of data and the L plan costs $79 per month and includes 60GB of data.
What extras does Telstra Mobile offer?
Telstra’s 12 month SIM-only plans include a bonus Apple Music subscription for 6 months, with all music streamed through the app free from data charges.
If your home phone or broadband service is also via Telstra it’s worth investigating whether or not you might get a bundling discount on a SIM-only plan, or for your other services because of a SIM-only plan. Either way, you’re saving money.
Telstra runs a public Wi-Fi network dubbed "Telstra Air" via its stores, many public phone booths (the ones with pink tops are the giveaway) and via its customer broadband networks, and access to the network is included with all its SIM-only plans.
What excess charges could I face on these plans?
Telstra's SIM only plans don't include a handset by definition, so there's no additional handset repayments to face. For plans with a fixed call quota, any calls made that exceed that quota will be added to your monthly postpaid bill when it rolls over. This isn't an issue for unlimited call plans, and all of Telstra's current SIM-only plans do include unlimited standard national text inclusions.
Data is strictly metered on Telstra's SIM-only plans, and what this means is that once you've exhausted your data quota (if you do), any excess usage will be charged at a flat $10 per gigabyte or part thereof. As such, as soon as you go over quota you'll pay a minimum of $10 extra.
Premium services, such as calls to numbers starting with 19 prefixes will attract additional charges, as will calls to some satellite services.
Telstra's SIM-only plans don't generally include international call inclusions except at the highest level, which means that on most plans you will incur additional charges for international calls and texts. You can check Telstra's call rates for its international calling destinations on its web site.
If you roam while travelling internationally, you will incur roaming charges for your usage. Telstra sells travel passes that offer unlimited standard calls and texts as well as data provisions for $30, $70, $140 and $300 if purchased upfront. Otherwise you'll be subject to variable call and data rates depending on the country you travel to. Telstra's full costings schedule for each country where roaming is available can be found here.
Finally, if you cancel your contract early, you may be subject to an early termination charge.