After significant testing, these are our picks of the phones to buy
Telstra runs the largest 4G network in Australia providing services on both contract and prepaid terms as well as the 24/36 month and month by month contract SIM-only services detailed here. It has the widest current deployment of 4G services through both metropolitan and regional areas of Australia. Its 4G network, which it dubs "4GX", offers the highest category speeds of any network in Australia in metropolitan areas, and in many regional areas it’s effectively the only network choice to speak of.
- "4GX" Network Telstra's 700MHz "4GX" network provides some of the fastest speeds you'll see on any mobile network in Australia, network conditions & location permitting. If you've got a modern smartphone, it'll generally be speedy on Telstra's network.
- Unlimited talk & text All Telstra's SIM-only plans come with unlimited standard calls and texts
- Peace of Mind data: choice of being slowed to 1.5Mbps after data allowance is reached or $10/GB excess data charges available at full network speed.
- Access to Telstra Air. Telstra provides access to its Telstra Air Wi-Fi network for most contract plans.
- Premium pricing. Telstra pitches itself as a premium network and prices accordingly, which means in a direct comparison it is often the most expensive option.
- Less generous data allowances. Telstra typically offers less data for your dollar than its rivals.
- Can cost more than you think. Because these are postpaid plans, if you do use a lot of data, roam overseas or call internationally you can end up paying more, unlike the full cap of a prepaid plan.
How much does Telstra Mobile cost?
Telstra’s SIM-only plans are offered on a month-to-month basis and span four sizing tiers: Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large. Each comes with unlimited standard calls and texts every month. The Small plan clocks in at $50 per month and comes with 15GB of data, the Medium plan costs $60 per month and comes with 60GB of data, the Large plan costs $80 per month and includes 100GB of data and the Extra Large plan tops out at $100 per month for 150GB of data.
What extras does Telstra Mobile offer?
If your home phone or broadband service is also via Telstra it’s worth investigating whether or not you might get a bundling discount on a SIM-only plan, or for your other services because of a SIM-only plan. Either way, you’re saving money.
Telstra runs a public Wi-Fi network dubbed "Telstra Air" via its stores, many public phone booths (the ones with pink tops are the giveaway) and via its customer broadband networks, and access to the network is included with all its SIM-only plans.
What excess charges could I face on these plans?
Telstra's SIM only plans don't include a handset by definition, so there's no additional handset repayments to face. For plans with a fixed call quota, any calls made that exceed that quota will be added to your monthly postpaid bill when it rolls over. This isn't an issue for unlimited call plans, and all of Telstra's current SIM-only plans do include unlimited standard national text inclusions.
By default, if you exhaust your data quota with any of Telstra's SIM-only plans, you won't have to pay any excess usage fees. Instead, your Internet speed will be slowed to a maximum of 1.5Mbps for the rest of the month.
Premium services, such as calls to numbers starting with 19 prefixes will attract additional charges, as will calls to some satellite services.
Telstra's SIM-only plans don't include international call inclusions, which means that on most plans you will incur additional charges for international calls and texts. You can check Telstra's call rates for its international calling destinations on its web site.
If you roam while travelling internationally, you will incur roaming charges for your usage. Telstra sells travel passes that offer unlimited standard calls and texts as well as data provisions for $30, $70, $140 and $300 if purchased upfront. Otherwise you'll be subject to variable call and data rates depending on the country you travel to. Telstra's full costings schedule for each country where roaming is available can be found here.
Finally, if you cancel your contract early, you may be subject to an early termination charge.
How to contact TelstraBack to top
- Telstra, Optus & more offer free data and discounts for working from home: How much more do you get?
- Vodafone’s 5G network is now online
- Telstra postpaid customers can score a heavily discounted Kayo Sports subscription
- 365 Day & Long Expiry Prepaid Mobile Plans March 2020
- Optus rolls out new Samsung Galaxy S20 plans with free Buds+ and double data
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Read why this is one of the best Samsung Galaxy phones yet
Ask an Expert