Honan landlord insurance

Honan landlord insurance: flexible building and contents cover for your investment property.

No reviews yet. Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Honan Insurance Group is an Australian owned and operated insurance broking company that was established in 1964. It is not an insurance company but rather an insurance broker acting on behalf of its clients. Read on to find out more about what landlord insurance policies it offers.

warningSome landlord insurance policies have temporarily removed benefits such as rent default and a few others because of the pandemic. Make sure to check this with the insurer before deciding on a policy.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Honan website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with Finder.
Compare landlord insurance fast

Honan landlord insurance policy

Honan offers the following landlord insurance policies:

Landlord Residential Building and Contents Insurance

This covers your property for rental-specific losses, including damage to the building. It also covers you for the contents kept there such as any fixtures and furnishings. Outbuildings, walls, gates, fences and swimming pools are also generally included as part of the building. It comes with cover for theft and burglary by tenants and their guests, legal expenses, liability and more.

Landlord Residential Building Insurance

This is for those who don't want contents cover. It only covers you for the building, including outbuildings, walls, gates, fences and in-built swinging pools. You're insured for things like theft, fire and more.

Landlord Residential Contents Insurance

This is designed for landlords with units or apartments who don't want or need building cover, for example, if the building itself is looked after by strata. It covers you for any contents you own and keep at the property. It can cover accidental and deliberate damage by tenants and their guests, tenant theft, burglary, legal expenses and liability.

Honan's policy benefits

Here's an overview of what Honan's landlord insurance policies include.

BenefitsLandlord Residential Building and Contents InsuranceLandlord Residential Building InsuranceLandlord Residential Contents Insurance
Authority fees10% of the sum insured10% of the sum insured
Fumigation costs$5,000$5,000$5,000
Fusion of electric motors$2,500$2,500$2,500
Mortgage discharge legal fees$5,000$5,000
Professional fees10% of the sum insured10% of the sum insured
Removal of debris10% of the sum insured10% of the sum insured10% of the sum insured
Riot and civil commotionSum insuredSum insured$65,000
Removal of fallen trees$2,000$2,000
Exploratory Costs$5,000$5,000
Replacement of external locks$1,000$1,000
Inflation Protection
Damage by tenant's pet$2,500$2,500$2,500
Scorching to bench tops$1,000$1,000$1,000
Tax audit expenses$2,000$2,000$2,000
Rent lossMaximum of $1,500 per week - up to 52 weeks rentMaximum of $1,500 per week - up to 52 weeks rentMaximum of $1,500 per week - up to 52 weeks rent
Rent reduction6 weeks6 weeks6 weeks
Re-letting expenses$500$500$500
Rent default20 weeks rent20 weeks rent20 weeks rent
Removal of debris and storage of tenant's contents following rent default claims$6,000$6,000$6,000
Legal expenses$7,500$7,500$7,500
Legal liability$20,000,000$20,000,000$20,000,000

How does the excess work?

An excess is an amount that you generally need to contribute towards a claim whenever you make one. It's common with all types of insurance. Some of the excesses you may encounter include:

  • Standard excess. This applies to all claims you make unless you are told otherwise. You often have the option of choosing an excess; the higher the excess you choose, the lower your premium.
  • Additional excess. Additional excesses can apply based on individual applications and specific circumstances. They should be outlined to you when you buy a policy. They are usually in addition to the basic or standard excess.

Honan landlord insurance claim process

You can make a Honan landlord insurance claim online. To submit a claim, you'll need the following information:

  • The date, time, cause and location of the event.
  • Photos of the damage.
  • Evidence from the authorities involved, for example, fire, police, health department, building inspector.
  • Damaged items that can be safely inspected.
  • Invoices, receipts.

Frequently asked questions

Who is the underwriter for Honan landlord insurance?

Honan landlord insurance is distributed by Honan Insurance Group Pty Ltd ("Honan") ABN 67 005 372 396, AFSL 246749 under an arrangement with Chubb Insurance Australia Limited, ABN 23 001 642 020, AFSL 239687.

What other types of insurance does Honan offer?

Honan provides a number of business insurance products including crime insurance, cyber insurance, director and officers liability insurance, and public liability insurance.

More guides on Finder

  • Election 2022 housing policies compared: What do first homebuyers get?

    Housing affordability is on the agenda once again, and every party has a different approach.

  • Low deposit home loans

    You may be able to get a low deposit home loan with just 5% cash deposit. Here's the lenders who are more likely to lend you a 95% loan.

  • Finder Earn

    Finder Earn lets you get a return of up to 6.01% p.a. on your capital, compounded daily. Find out how it works and how to get it here.

  • Finder Earn

    Finder Earn lets you get a return of up to 6.01% p.a. on your capital, compounded daily. Find out how it works and how to get it here.

  • Finder Earn

    Finder Earn lets you get a return of up to 6.01% p.a. on your capital, compounded daily. Find out how it works and how to get it here.

  • Does travel insurance cover Airbnb?

    We take a look to see if you are fully protected by insurance if your Airbnb trip goes wrong.

  • Understanding The Australian Election ft. Left Right Out

    From how the voting systems works to which parties line up with your values, we chat with the hosts of Left Right Out podcast about what you need to know before you hit the polls this year.

  • Rent default

    Rent default and loss of rent are 2 different features of landlord insurance you might need.

  • Polestar 2 vs Hyundai IONIQ 5

    Which EV should you buy? The Polestar 2 or the Hyundai IONIQ 5?

  • Private health insurance tax guide

    If you just turned 31 or have started earning over $90k, you'll want to think about taking out health insurance now.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site