- It comes with lots of benefits many others don't offer, including lawful removal and disposal of tenants' possessions for up to $10,000 if a tenant leaves without notice and damage from drug distribution and storage.
- It's good for extra perks. When you take out a policy, you get access to discounts and savings as an RACV member.
- It's not for everyone — only people with property in Victoria can get access to RACV.
Review by our insurance and innovations editor Gary Ross Hunter
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the RACV website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with finder.Compare landlord insurance fast
What does RACV landlord insurance cover?
RACV landlord insurance comes with three insurance cover options: building insurance, contents insurance or combined contents and building insurance. Here's some of the main insured events it covers:
All policies require to pay a basic excess and come with a cooling off period of 21 days which is the industry standard. This means if you cancel your policy within three weeks of taking it out, you can get a full refund.
RACV landlord insurance cover features
Here are some of the main features that a RACV landlord insurance will cover you for if you make a claim for an insured event like a fire, storm or theft.
- Loss of rent
- Damage by tenants
- Lock replacement costs up to $800
- Damage from drug distribution and storage:
- Lawful removal and disposal of tenants' possessions costs
- Legal liability cover
- Rent default
RACV's general exclusions are similar to many other insurers. You won't be covered for:
- Loss or damage caused intentionally by you or by someone else with your or your tenant's consent.
- Items that are covered by an insurance policy taken out by an owners' corporation or other similar body.
For a full list of general exclusions, make sure you read the RACV landlord insurance PDS.
RACV landlord insurance complaints
We looked at home insurance complaint data from the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) between July to December 2020. The data breaks down different underwriters and compares their business size to the number of complaints processed.
When comparing insurers, keep in mind that insurers with a larger market share serve more customers so can potentially get more complaints.
Here's an overview of how RACV did:
- RACV had a very low number of complaints for the period we looked at, suggesting customers are generally very happy with its service.
- Although it only received 5 complaints, 3 were escalated to the AFCA, meaning they couldn't be resolved internally.
Bottom line about RACV landlord insurance
RACV landlord insurance is good if you want a reliable and trustworthy insurer that comes with lots of extra perks. However, it's only available to people with property in Victoria.
If you're not yet ready to take out a policy, you can compare other landlord insurance brands side-by-side here.
FAQs about RACV landlord insurance
RACV landlord insurance reviews
If you've held or currently hold an RACV landlord insurance policy, we'd love to hear from you. Your reviews help other Australians decide if RACV is right for them. Some reviews are from a survey commissioned by Finder.