Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Bupa Landlords Insurance review

Bupa Landlords Insurance offers 3 main options for property owners and money off for members.

No reviews yet. Write a review

You might be familiar with Bupa health insurance, but that's not the only type of protection they offer. You can also get Bupa Landlords Insurance in Australia. Like its health insurance policies, it has a few different options: buildings cover, contents cover and combined building and contents cover. You can also get 10% off if you're a Bupa member.

We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Bupa website or compare a bunch of other landlord insurance companies with Finder.
Compare landlord insurance fast

What does Bupa landlord insurance cover?

Bupa Landlord Insurance offers three different policies: contents insurance, bulding insurance and a combined building and contents insurance. Here are some of the main insured events a policy can cover you for:

Bupa Landlord Insurance is issued by Open Insurance Pty Ltd acting on behalf of the insurer, The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd.

If you purchase the policy and change your mind, it comes with a 14-day cooling-off period. This means if you haven't made a claim, you can receive a refund if you cancel the policy within 14 days from the issue of the policy (including each renewal).

Here's a breakdown of Bupa landlord insurance features

Check icon

Standard features

A Bupa landlord insurance policy comes with a long list of features including:

  • Contents in the open air at your site
  • Cover for strata title property owners
  • Loss of rent following damage
  • Malicious acts and theft by tenants
  • Removal of debris and fees
  • Legal liability of $20 million

plus icon

Optional add-on

Bupa lets you add on some features and benefits to your policy at an additional cost. These include the following:

  • Electrical motor burnout covers the fusion or burning out of the wiring of a domestic motor by an electrical current.
  • Loss of rent covers your lost rental income if your home is uninhabitable due to loss or damage.
  • Rental default covers your lost rental income and associated legal expenses if your tenant fails to pay their rent.

cross icon


Like any insurance provider, there are certain general exclusions that apply under a landlord insurance policy. With Bupa, some of these include:

  • Actions of the sea such as high tide
  • Building work, including any extensions or renovations
  • Hydrostatic pressure or hydrodynamic pressure
  • Inherent defects, structural faults, faulty workmanship or faulty design
  • Insects, birds, wildlife or vermin
  • Mould or mildew
  • Scratching, chewing, tearing or soiling by any animal kept on the property
  • Tree roots, tree felling or tree lopping
  • Wear and tear, rust, corrosion or depreciation
  • Your building being unoccupied for longer than 100 consecutive days

For a full list of what is and isn't covered, make sure to review Bupa's PDS for a detailed overview.

What excesses are there with Bupa?

An excess is a contribution that you need to make whenever you make a claim. Most types of insurance require you to do this, including Bupa. With them, you may have to pay an excess when you make a claim for the following:

  • Anything. A basic excess generally always applies and should be outlined in your policy schedule
  • Earthquake- or flood-related events. The higher of your chosen basic excess or a fixed excess of $500 generally applies
  • Malicious acts and theft by tenants. The higher of your chosen basic excess or a fixed excess of $500 applies per event.
  • Additional covers. If you have any type of add-on cover with your policy, you may have to pay an additional excess.

Submitting a claim through Bupa Landlords Insurance

Filing a claim with Bupa is pretty straightforward. You can call its 24/7 claim support on +61 2 7201 5060 or claim online through its online portal. When you claim it's a good idea to have the following

  • Your policy number
  • Your contact details
  • Details of others involved in the claim if applicable.
  • Any letters or documents about the incident.

If you can, you should also do the following:

  • Take photos of the damage.
  • Try and keep damaged property so it can be inspected.

Frequently asked questions

Who is the underwriter for Bupa Landlords Insurance?

Bupa Landlords Insurance policies are issued issued by Open Insurance Pty Ltd acting on behalf of the insurer, The Hollard Insurance Company Pty Ltd.

Will Bupa Landlords Insurance cover subletting tenants?

Bupa Landlords Insurance is unlikely to cover subletting, like most insurers.

Who is eligible for a Bupa landlord insurance policy?

A landlord insurance policy from Bupa is designed for owners of residential rental properties that are tenanted under a rental agreement of at least three months in duration. It is ​​not suitable if the property is used for holiday letting, house sitting arrangements or temporary sharing or if the property is likely to be unoccupied for more than 100 days.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site