Make your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership go further by earning points on hotel stays in Australia and overseas.
Whether you want to stay at a Hilton, a Travelodge or an independent hotel, there are three different ways you can earn Qantas Points on your accommodation. For starters, you can earn points per $1 spent on bookings made through Qantas Hotels.
You can also transfer points from hotel loyalty programs including Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards and IHG Rewards Club, or earn points directly with hotel partners. Use this guide to learn more about these options so that you can earn more points towards your next frequent flyer reward.
Until 11:59pm Thursday 21 February 2019, you'll earn 9 Qantas Points per $1 spent on hotel bookings made through the Qantas website. This is triple the number of points you'd usually earn and applies to stays until 31 December 2019.
What you'll find in this guide
How to earn points through Qantas Hotels
Qantas Hotels is a booking service similar to sites like Hotels.com and Expedia. It has over 200,000 listings around the world and offers a standard earn rate of 3 Qantas Points per $1 spent on bookings.
Here are the steps you need to take to get points through Qantas Hotels:
- Go to https://www.qantas.com/hotels and enter your booking details.
- Browse the search results and click on the hotel you want to book.
- Choose your room type and click on the red button that shows the price. This will take you to the booking page.
- Enter your details, including your Qantas Frequent Flyer number. If you’re already logged in to your account, these details should be automatically added to the booking form.
- Choose how you want to pay, provide the relevant details and click “Pay securely now” to confirm the booking.
Keep in mind that the name on the booking must match the name on your frequent flyer account. Also, you can’t split points between two or more people on the same booking. As long as you follow these steps, your points should show up on your account around eight weeks after you check out (although it could be longer in some cases).
Can I earn bonus Qantas Points on hotel bookings?
Sometimes Qantas Hotels may run a promotion offering additional points for bookings made through the service. For example, you could earn double points with a particular hotel or triple points on all bookings made during a promotional period. These offers come and go, so it’s worth checking the Qantas Frequent Flyer website for any current promotions you could take advantage of when you’re ready to book your next stay.
How to use Qantas Hotels to earn points on Airbnb bookings
The Qantas Hotels search portal also gives you a way to earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on Airbnb bookings using the following steps:
- Select “Airbnb” as your accommodation option instead of “Hotels”. You’ll see this option above the search box on the Qantas Hotels homepage. Alternatively, you can go through qantas.com/airbnb, which automatically selects Airbnb instead of hotels before you start your search.
- Enter your travel plans and click “Search Airbnb”,
- Provide your Qantas Frequent Flyer number and last name. You’ll then be taken to the Airbnb website, which will show a banner down the bottom saying “Qantas Frequent Flyers earn 1 Qantas Point for every AUD$1 spent.”
- Browse different options and click through to complete your booking.
As with hotel stays, the name on your Airbnb booking has to match the name on your Qantas membership. As long as you follow the booking process through Qantas Hotels, you’ll be credited with points around eight weeks after you’ve completed your stay.
How to earn Qantas Points through a hotel loyalty program
If you’re a member of a hotel loyalty program, you may be able to transfer points to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account or earn Qantas Points instead of hotel reward points. There are six major loyalty programs that give you this option, each with different earn rates and details that we’ve outlined below.
|Hotel loyalty program||Earn rate||Key details|
Hotels in Australia:
3 Qantas Points per $1 spent
600 Qantas Points per stay with participating hotel brands
Bookings made directly with Hilton Hotels: 10,000 points = 1,500 Qantas Points
Bookings made through Qantas Hotels: 3 Qantas Points per $1
Bookings made directly with Hilton Hotels:
Bookings made through Qantas Hotels:
|IHG Rewards Club||
Hotels in Australia:
3 Qantas Points per $1 spent
|Le Club AccorHotels||1 Le Club AccorHotels point = 1 Qantas Point||
|Marriott Rewards||Between 1 and 2 Qantas Points per US$1 spent at participating hotels||
|World of Hyatt||
In Australia and New Zealand:
1,000 Qantas Points per eligible stay
600 Qantas Points per eligible stay
Each of these hotel rewards programs also has its own terms and conditions that you’ll need to follow as a member. Make sure you read through them when you sign up, before making a booking or before you transfer points to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account.
How to earn Qantas Points with partner hotels
Many partner hotels let you earn Qantas Points directly when you provide your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership details, including Adina Apartment Hotels, select Crown hotels in Australia, Langham hotels and Travelodge.
To earn points with one of these partners, you need to ask about it at the time of your booking and then show your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card when you check out. Depending on the hotel, you can get the following earn rates for your room price or stay:
- 3 Qantas Points per $1 at participating hotels in Australia.
- 1,000 Qantas Points per qualifying stay at all other participating international hotels.
- 1 Qantas Point per US$1 at select international Jumeirah Hotels and Resorts or Kerzner International Resorts.
- 600 Qantas Points per qualifying stay at international Comfort Inn, Copthorne Hotels, Grand Copthorne and Quality Inn hotels.
In most cases, you’ll earn either 3 Qantas Points per $1 spent in Australia or 1,000 Qantas Points per qualifying stay overseas, with only a few hotel partners offering the other earn rates. You can check out the full list of partners based on location and earn rate below.
With three different ways to earn points and a wide range of hotel partnerships, you have plenty of opportunities to earn Qantas Points on accommodation when you travel. But keep in mind that points are only earned on “eligible” bookings or stays, which could exclude some bookings that offer a promotional rate.
In some cases, this could mean you have to choose between earning Qantas Points and saving on accommodation costs in some cases. So before you make a booking, check the fine print on earning Qantas Points and compare other options to decide if it’s worth it based on your goals.
Want to discover more ways to earn Qantas Points? Check out our complete guide to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program for more inspiration.
Pictures: ShutterstockBack to top