We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Is Power and Water right for me?
- What does Power and Water offer? Electricity in the Northern Territory.
- Product highlights: Power and Water is the only electricity provider in most Northern Territory remote communities. The retailer offers 24/7 customer support and has several customer service centres for those who prefer in-person assistance.
- Watch out for: Electricity is only available in remote areas and there is a limit to the number of customers who can install solar in each community.Power and Water electricity
Power and Water electricity
Power and Water Corporation is an NT Government-owned company and the largest distributor of electricity, water and sewerage services across the Northern Territory. The corporation also retails electricity to remote communities through its not-for-profit arm, Indigenous Essential Services (IES).
IES services 72 remote towns that Power and Water distributes electricity to. It also retails electricity in Jabiru, Nhulunbuy and Alyangula, though Power and Water is not the distributor in those areas.
If you are an NT resident living outside of Darwin, Alice Springs, Katherine or Tennant Creek, your power (as well as your water and sewerage) is most likely provided by IES.
|State||⚡ Electricity||♨️ Gas|
Can I get solar power?
Yes, Power and Water offers solar plans. However, you'll have to apply for an assessment to see if you're eligible. This is because most remote communities run off of isolated power stations, which can be overwhelmed by too much power being fed back into the system.
There is a limit to the number of domestic PV solar systems allowed in each remote community, so if your community has already reached its limit, you won't be able to connect your PV system to the grid or install a new PV system.
To find out if you're eligible for solar, you'll need to complete a rooftop PV application form and send it to email@example.com.
Can I get GreenPower?
No, Power and Water isn't GreenPower certified.
Power and Water also offers the following services and projects:
- Power distribution. Power and Water is the electricity distributor for most of the Northern Territory.
- Solar Energy Transformation Program (SETuP). SETuP is the largest isolated off-grid solar program in Indigenous communities. It has increased solar resources and reduced reliance on diesel fuel.
- Sewerage reticulation. The company upgraded sewer pipes and facilities and added additional sewer connections in Angurugu.
- Creating new water sources. The company increased water sources in Ngukurr, Robinson River and Barunga by creating additional water bores.
- Asbestos replacement. Power and Water replaced asbestos cement water mains and drainage systems in Angurugu and Wadeye.
- Water and wastewater. In addition to electricity, Power and Water supplies water across the Northern Territory and manages wastewater treatment plants and water and sewerage pipelines.
How can I pay my bills?
Power and Water offers several options for bill payments:
Why consider Power and Water?
- Flexible payment options. You can pay your bill with direct debit, credit card, BPAY, via mail, in person or directly through your wages if you're an NT Government employee.
- Limited choice in remote areas. If you live in a remote area of the Northern Territory, Power and Water is likely to be the only electricity provider available to you.
- Paperless billing. Power and Water offers paperless billing to help reduce the impact of paper bills on the environment. It also offers more interactive options for customers trying to better understand their bills. If you would prefer a physical bill, you can still opt for paper billing.
- 24/7 customer support. You can get the support you need at any time with a combination of phone-based customer service, live chat, email and in-person service centres.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Best split system air conditioners in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of split system air conditioners to determine the best available in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Energy plans for low income earners and families
Paying the bills isn't on time isn't always easy. Here's what you you need to look out for.
Best electricity plans for solar owners
Compare feed-in tariffs and more to find a good value plan.
Electricity price changes (June 2020 update)
Energy rates, fees and price structures are far from static. They can change at almost any time for a variety of reasons.
Gas vs Electricity: What’s better for your wallet?
Decide whether electricity or gas is better for your home and wallet with this comprehensive guide.
What is the average (kWh) cost of electricity in Australia?
The amount you pay per unit of power depends on many factors. Find out how much you should be paying and how you can save.
Lower your household bills
Compare internet from over 50 providers in our broadband engine.
Check out our select picks of the best plans available.
Mobile broadband is fast becoming a viable alternative to fixed line.