Compare internet from over 50 providers in our broadband engine.
Essential Energy: Electricity distributor
Energy distributor Essential Energy supplies electricity to residences and businesses in New South Wales and Queensland.
Quick facts about Essential Energy
- Essential Energy is an electricity distributor, which means it doesn't sell energy.
- It supplies electricity to more than 800,000 properties in New South Wales and Queensland.
- If you are looking for an electricity or gas retailer, check out the available providers in your state.
Essential Energy electricity network
Owned by the State Government of New South Wales, Essential Energy manages an energy grid that covers 95% of the state as well as parts of South-East Queensland. The company supplies electricity to more than 800,000 residential, community and business properties.
Additionally, the distributor performs the following services:
- 24/7 on-call assistance for power outages and faults.
- Maintenance of power poles, wires and streetlights.
- Meter readings of historic Essential Energy meters.
The company also owns Essential Water, which supplies water to over 10,000 customers in Broken Hill and surrounding areas including Menindee and Silverton. Essential Water also provides sewerage services in Broken Hill.
|State||⚡ Electricity||♨️ Gas|
If you want to connect a new property to the Essential Energy network, you'll have to fill out an application form and submit it for approval. If you are already connected to the network but you need to alter or upgrade the connection, you can apply online. However, if you have a high-voltage connection, you'll need to get a contestable works review or electrical approval.
If you own a property or are moving into a property that already has an electricity connection, contact your retailer or sign up for an energy plan to arrange your energy supply.
How do I contact Essential Energy?
|Emergencies and supply interruptions||13 20 80|
|General enquiries||13 23 91|
|International support||+61 2 5525 4500|
Lower your household bills
Check out our select picks of the best plans available.
Mobile broadband is fast becoming a viable alternative to fixed line.
Ask an Expert