Find the electricity, gas and solar concessions and rebates available in your state
Many households are entitled to reduced energy costs through government rebate and concession programs. Available rebates in Australia include discounts on electricity bills, discounts on natural gas or LPG costs, financial hardship assistance to help keep the power on and rebates for people who need to use energy-intensive medical equipment.
The types of rebates available to you depend on the state you live in and whether or not you meet eligibility requirements. To be eligible for a rebate, you generally have to have a valid pension or concession card, but each rebate and concession has different requirements so make sure to check specific requirements for the discount you're interested in.
Residents of NSW, VIC and QLD
If you live in New South Wales, Victoria or Queensland, click your state below for more information on the energy rebates and concessions available to you.
Residents of South Australia
South Australian residents may be eligible for the following rebates or concessions:
- Energy Bill Concession. Electricity discounts for eligible concession cardholders.
- Medical Heating and Cooling Concession. Rebates for people who are medically unable to regulate their body temperature.
- Cost of Living Concession. Reduces the cost of basic utilities including water, gas, medical bills and electricity for those with an eligible pension or concession card.
- Residential Park Resident Concession. Concession for people living in residential or caravan parks who have an eligible concession card or receive an eligible Centrelink payment.
- Home Dialysis Electricity Concession. Electricity for patients with kidney disease who receive dialysis treatment at home.
Residents of Tasmania
If you live in Tasmania, you may be eligible for the following rebates or concessions:
- Annual Electricity Concession. Electricity discounts for eligible concession cardholders.
- Heating Allowance. Discounts for eligible pensioners to help with heating costs.
- Life Support Concession. Rebates for those with energy-intensive life support equipment.
- Medical Cooling Concession. Rebates for people who are medically unable to regulate their body temperature.
Residents of Western Australia
If you live in Western Australia, you may be eligible for the following rebates or concessions:
- Energy Concession Extension Scheme (ECES). Electricity discounts for eligible WA residents.
- Hardship Utility Grant Scheme (HUGS). Financial assistance for those who are struggling to pay their utility bills.
Residents of Northern Territory
Northern Territory residents may be eligible for the following rebates or concessions:
- NT Concession Scheme. Electricity and water concession for eligible pension and concession cardholders.
- NT Seniors Recognition Scheme. An annual payment that can be used for travel, electricity and/or water.
Residents of the ACT
If you live in the Australian Capital Territory, you may be eligible for the following rebates or concessions:
- The Utilities Concession. Electricity, natural gas, water and sewerage discounts for eligible pension and concession cardholders.
- Energy Concession. Electricity and gas discounts for residents of the ACT who have eligible pension and concession cards.
Additional ways to save on energy costs
If you are experiencing financial hardship and having trouble paying your energy bill, contact your energy provider and ask if they have a hardship scheme or payment plan that could help reduce your financial stress. If you think you're paying too much for energy, you might also be able to cut down your costs by switching energy providers.
You can also save by doing the following:
- Using more energy-efficient appliances
- Solar feed-in tariffs
- Reducing your energy use for heating and cooling
- Finding ways to reduce your water consumption