Electricity Distributors in Victoria | Finder

Victorian Electricity Distributors

Find out who your electricity distributor is in Victoria.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

Your electricity distributor is in charge of delivering power to you, but you don't get to pick which one you get. Instead, your distributor will be one of Jemena, Citipower, AusNet Services, Powercor or United Energy, depending on where you live in Victoria.

What is an electricity distributor?

Electricity distributors build and maintain the power lines, substations, cables and other infrastructure that delivers power to homes and properties. A distributor does not usually generate the power itself, and instead, takes responsibility for ensuring the electricity gets where it needs to go.

What's the difference between a distributor and a retailer?

In contrast to distributors, retailers have nothing at all to do with power production or transmission, and are simply the middlemen who create power plans for you to purchase. Here are a few major differences between a retailer like Origin or Red Energy and a distributor:

Build and maintain power poles, wires, and infrastructure.Build and maintain the individual power connection of properties.
Repair damage to the electricity network.Repair local electrical faults that aren't part of the greater power grid.
Read your energy meter and send that information to your retailer.Issue your power bill, which is based on/estimated from your meter readings.
Sell power to energy retailers at wholesale prices.Sell energy to consumers at retail prices using power plans.

Who is my distributor?

For residents of Victoria, there are actually five distributors – more than any other state or territory. Your distributor will be one of Jemena, CitiPower, AusNet Services, United Energy or Powercor, depending on where you live.

Here's some information about each distributor and the areas they operate.


Jemena has $11 billion worth of power lines, cables and substations, and brings power to roughly 350,000 premises. It is majority-owned by the State Grid Corporation of China and Singapore Power.

Jemena mostly operates in north-western Melbourne, including areas like Footscray, Roxburgh Park, Sunbury, Coburg and Ivanhoe.

  • Contact: For general enquiries, call 1300 131 871. To report electrical faults, call 131 626.


Together with Powercor, another distributor with the same owners, Citipower supplies electricity to roughly 1.1 million customers. Citipower claims that its distribution costs only make up 23% of your power bill, compared to 50% in other Australian states.

As the name implies, you're most likely on the Citipower network if you're in the Melbourne CBD or inner suburbs.

  • Contact: For faults, ring 13 12 80. For general enquiries, call 1300 301 101.

AusNet Services

AusNet Services has $10.8 billion worth of electricity and gas network infrastructure, covering an area of 227,600 square kilometres and reaching 2.1 million households.

It operates mostly in eastern Victoria, plus the northern and eastern suburbs of Melbourne a bit further from the city centre. This includes communities like Hazelwood, Wodonga, Morwell, Glenrowan and Rowville.

  • Contact: To report faults, ring 13 17 99. If you have general enquiries, ring 1300 360 795.

United Energy

United Energy provides power to more than 660,000 customers, with a network of 200,000 plus poles and 13,000 kilometres of wires.

Its distribution area is mostly in parts of southern Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula, with areas like Rosebud, Blackburn, Mornington and Bentleigh falling under its network.

  • Contact: To report electrical faults, ring 132 099. For general enquiries, get in touch via 1300 131 689.


Powercor is owned by the same group of companies as Citipower, and together they serve roughly 1.1 million Victorians. The Powercor network is the largest in Victoria.

You're probably part of the Powercor network if you live outside of Melbourne in Western Victoria, with towns like Ballarat, Geelong, Mildura, and Shepparton being served by it.

  • Contact: For faults, ring 13 24 12. For general enquiries, ring 13 22 06.

More guides on Finder

Lower your household bills

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site