Petmed Pet Insurance
Insure your pet with Petmed and get flexible benefit limits and a choice between policies for old and young pets.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Pet insurance can give you financial protection and peace of mind if your beloved companion is injured or ill. Petmed offers flexible policies with varying excess levels and three annual benefit limits. The company also has policies aimed specifically at young pets and old pets. These options, and the ability to make claims online, make Petmed's pet insurance policies worth looking into.
Petmed pet insurance is not currently available via Finder. But don't fret! You can head to their website at www.petmed.net.au for more information or compare a bunch of other pet insurance companies with Finder
What policies does Petmed offer?
Young Pets Cover
Available to dogs and cats between eight weeks and nine years of age, Petmed Young Pets Cover provides cover for your choice of either 65% or 80% of eligible vet bills when your pet is sick or injured. You also have the flexibility to choose from three annual benefit limits, $5,000, $12,000 or $18,000, to suit your cover needs and budget. The policy includes cover for illness, accidental injury, hereditary conditions, cancer, skin conditions, ear and eye conditions, gastrointestinal problems and more. You also have the flexibility to choose an excess of $0 or $99.
Seniors Cover offers protection against vet bills for pets nine years of age and over. There is no upper age limit to the policy, which covers 65% of vet bills for all the same conditions as Young Pets Cover. Once again, you receive a choice of annual benefit limits ($5,000, $10,000 or $15,000) and excesses ($99 or $199) so that you can tailor a policy to suit your needs.
What isn’t covered?
Your Petmed pet insurance claim will not be paid in the following situations:
- It is for a pre-existing condition.
- It is for dental care, the treatment of dental diseases, orthodontics, teeth cleaning or the treatment of teeth fractures.
- It is for regular, prescription or dietary pet food.
- It is for vitamin or mineral supplements.
- It is for any preventative procedures and treatments, such as flea control, worm control and vaccinations. However, you can obtain cover for some preventative procedures by selecting the optional routine care benefit.
- It is for the grooming or bathing of your pet.
- It is for accessories such as crates, bedding and collars.
- It is for training, socialisation, therapy or any type of alternative therapy.
- It is for the cost of treatment resulting from your pet being used for commercial or occupational purposes.
- It is for the treatment of any condition that can be attributed to a behaviour problem, for example an anxiety disorder.
- It is for any form of cell-replacement therapy, including stem cell therapy.
- It is for the cost of medication not approved or listed by the APVMA (Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medication Authority).
- You decide to follow a course of treatment different to the one recommended by your vet
- It arises as a result of breeding or obstetrics.
- It is for ambulance fees and non-essential hospitalisation costs.
- It is for after-hours treatment or a house call by your vet (except in situations where the vet believed an emergency consultation was necessary).
- It is for any elective procedure or treatment.
- You fail to take reasonable precautions to protect your pet.
- It arises due to a malicious act, deliberate injury or gross negligence caused by you or anyone living with you.
How to file a claim with Petmed
There are two ways to submit a claim under your Petmed pet insurance policy:
- Online. You can fill out and submit a claim form via Petmed’s online Pet Portal. You will also need to upload copies of the itemised invoice and the consultation note from your pet’s vet visit.
- By post. You can download a claim form from the Petmed website or phone the insurer to have them mail a form to you. Once you and your vet have completed and signed the form, you can post it back to Petmed.
All claims must be submitted and received within 90 days of the treatment being provided.
Why choose Petmed?
There are several reasons why you should consider choosing Petmed pet insurance for your dog or cat, including the following:
- Cover for pets of all ages. Petmed offers pet insurance policies to cover pets eight weeks of age or older. If you choose Seniors Cover, there is no upper age limit to worry about.
- Cover for up to 80% of vet bills. Petmed provides cover for up to 80% of vet bills when your pet is sick or injured, helping to ensure that your furry friend always gets the care he or she needs.
- Choose a benefit limit of up to $18,000. You can choose from a wide range of annual benefit limits to tailor a policy to suit your cover needs.
- Comprehensive cover standard. Unlike some pet insurance policies which only cover accidental injury, all Petmed pet insurance plans provide comprehensive cover for illness, accidental injury and hereditary diseases. This provides a high level of peace of mind for pet owners.
- Flexible cover options. Petmed offers pet insurance plans to suit a wide range of budgets, allowing you to choose a level of cover that you can afford and that matches your pet’s veterinary care needs.
- Optional routine care benefit. This extra-cost policy option allows you to take out cover for a number of routine and preventative veterinary treatments, such as vaccinations and worm or flea control.
- 20 years’ experience. Petmed has been offering insurance cover to suit the needs of Australian pet owners for more than 20 years, so you can rest assured that you are dealing with a reliable and experienced insurer.
Frequently asked questions about Petmed pet insurance
More guides on Finder
Oral-B iO9 Electric Toothbrush Review: Say hello to your new toothbrush master
Oral B’s smarter electric toothbrush provides an exceptional cleaning experience, but its price point will put it out of the reach of many.
How to buy Robinhood stock from Australia
Robinhood is set to go public as soon as June. Here's what you need to do to buy in from Australia.
Best raincoats and rain jackets in Australia
We’ve found the nine best raincoats and rain jackets you can buy in Australia right now.
Optical inclusion: Extras cover the top reason for taking out health insurance, survey finds
Extras cover is the number one drawcard for Australians who take out private health cover, new research from Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site, reveals.
Best pop-up tents in Australia
If you’re searching for a pop-up tent, we can help you find the perfect option for your needs.
Perth hotels with spas in the room
Find out where you can enjoy your own spa bath with these Perth hotels.
Best SSDs in Australia
Speed up your system with one of the best SSDs you can buy right now in Australia.
Going up: 4.6 million health insurance customers are missing out on potential savings
Millions of Australians could be missing out saving money on their health insurance policy, according to Finder, Australia’s most visited comparison site.
Australian NaturalCare discount codes and coupons April 2021
Explore a compellingly diverse catalogue of health-promoting household essentials today and score a discount with one of these Australian NaturalCare promo codes.
You might like these...
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?
Ask an Expert