If you’re happy with the handset you’ve got, Optus SIM-only contract plans are worth considering.
What services do Optus SIM plans offer?
Optus operates its own 4G Plus network across Australia, although the precise technology and frequency you connect on will depend on both your location and the capabilities of your specific device.
SIM-only plans, as the name suggests, involve you bringing an existing owned and unlocked smartphone to the Optus network and receiving a SIM card to insert into your device as well as service for the term of your contract period. Optus SIM plans are available on either a month-to-month or 12-month contract basis. As postpaid contract plans, Optus offers a range of inclusions, but any usage over and above those inclusions will incur additional fees that you’ll be charged at the end of each contract month.
How much do Optus SIM plans cost?
Like most carriers, Optus offers SIM-only postpaid plans on either an annual basis or a rolling month-to-month term, with slightly higher data values if you do sign up for the full year.
For 12-month contracts, here's the typical pricing on Optus' SIM-only plans:
- My Plan Plus 12M SIM-only $25: Unlimited calls and texts, 3GB of data, $25
- My Plan Plus 12M SIM-only $35: Unlimited calls and texts, 6GB of data, $35
- My Plan Plus 12M SIM-only $35: Unlimited calls and texts, 30GB of data, $35
- My Plan Plus 12M SIM-only $45: Unlimited calls and texts, 50GB of data, $45
- My Plan Plus 12M SIM-only $55: Unlimited calls and texts, 80GB of data, $55
Optus frequently runs specials on its 12-month SIM-only plans, so it's well worth comparing current values. Here's the current run of Optus 12-month SIM-only plans:
If you're not sure that Optus will be the network for you, you can always opt for a month-to-month SIM-only plan, with pricing that typically looks like this:
- My Plan Plus SIM-only $45: Unlimited calls and texts, 3GB of data, $45
- My Plan Plus SIM-only $55: Unlimited calls and texts, 15GB of data, $55
- My Plan Plus SIM-only $65: Unlimited calls and texts, 25GB of data, $65
- My Plan Plus SIM-only $75: Unlimited calls and texts, 40GB of data, $75
There's quite the difference there between the 12-month and month-to-month plans to entice you to a longer term. Optus runs some specials on its month-to-month plans but it's nowhere near as common.
- Choice of monthly or annual plans. If you want the flexibility to move you can commit for a single month, or get better data inclusions for committing for a full year.
- EPL inclusions. Fans of English football can watch matches on their phones thanks to Optus Sport.
- Data Pool. If you’ve got other Optus mobile contract products you can share your data around easily with these plans.
- Fewer inclusions than full phone contracts. If you’re considering the 12 month SIM only plans, especially at higher rates, it’s worth comparing against a full two year phone contract, especially as the inclusions differ and you may be able to score a 'free' phone upgrade as part of the deal.
- Month To Month plans aren’t quite as good value. If you opt for Optus’ month to month plans you not only pay more than the 12 month price, but also get less data to use along the way.