If you’re happy with the handset you’ve got, Optus SIM Only contract plans are worth considering.
What services do Optus SIM plans offer?
Optus operates its own 4G Plus network across Australia, although the precise technology and frequency you connect on will depend on both your location and the capabilities of your specific device.
SIM Only plans, as the name suggests, involve you bringing an existing owned and unlocked smartphone to the Optus network and receiving a SIM card to insert into your device as well as service for the term of your contract period. Optus SIM plans are available only on 12-month contracts. As postpaid contract plans, Optus offers a range of inclusions, but any usage over and above those inclusions will incur additional fees that you’ll be charged at the end of each contract month.
How much do Optus SIM plans cost?
Optus offers SIM Only postpaid plans on an annual basis only.
Here's the typical pricing on Optus' SIM Only plans:
- $39 My Plan Plus: Unlimited calls and texts plus 10GB of data for $39 a month
- $49 My Plan Plus : Unlimited calls and texts, up to 400 international minutes to 35 destinations and 30GB of data for $49 a month
- $59 My Plan Plus : Unlimited calls and texts, unlimited international minutes to 35 destinations and 80GB of data for $59 a month
- $79 My Plan Plus : Unlimited calls and texts, unlimited international minutes to 35 destinations and 120GB of data for $79 a month
Optus frequently runs specials on its 12-month SIM-only plans, so it's well worth comparing current values.
- EPL inclusions. Fans of English football can watch matches on their phones thanks to Optus Sport.
- Data Pool. If you’ve got other Optus mobile contract products you can share your data around easily with these plans.
- Fewer inclusions than full phone contracts. If you’re considering the 12 month SIM Only plans, especially at higher rates, it’s worth comparing against a full two year phone contract, especially as the inclusions differ and you may be able to score a 'free' phone upgrade as part of the deal.
- No month-to-month plans. Optus no longer offers month-to-month SIM Only plans, so you have to commit for at minimum a full year.