This Finder exclusive plan gets you a big data for under $1/day.
Optus SIM Only plans
If you need a SIM plan from Optus, the 2nd biggest network out there, here's what you need to know.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Optus sells practically every sort of mobile plan, from the latest smartphone contract to prepaid services. Their SIM-only postpaid plans are packed with data and extras, making them solid value on one of Australia's biggest networks. If you do end up switching to Optus, you can do so easily while keeping your old phone number on your new plan.
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Optus has four different month to month "Optus Choice" plans available for those who bring their own mobile handset. All Optus plans provide data sharing across plans on the same account, and some include a free subscription to Optus Sport.
- Small. 10GB data for $39 per month.
- Medium. 60GB data for $49 per month.
- Large. 100GB data for $59 per month.
- Extra large. 120GB data for $79 per month.
If you break your data limit, you'll be charged $10 for each additional 1GB of data. All but the Small plan include unlimited international calls to 35 countries.
Why switch to Optus SIM only?
If you're not looking for a plan that comes with a mobile phone, Optus has a number of value-packed SIM only plans:
- Coverage. The Optus network reaches 98.5% of the Australian population, making them second only to Telstra.
- Value. From a pure data per dollar angle, all plans but the Small offer great value, coming in at less than $1 per 1GB and reaching high caps. You also get access to the bonus plan features Optus offers at no additional cost.
- Brand security and service. Optus is one of Australia's three biggest telecom companies, and offers a certain amount of security to customers because of this.
How to switch to an Optus SIM only plan
Looking to move over to Optus for your mobile plan? Here's how you do it:
- Purchase the SIM only plan you want online or in an Optus store.
- At sign up, Optus will ask if you want to transfer your existing mobile number to your new service. This is known as 'porting', and you are legally able to transfer your number whenever you wish. Tell Optus your number and current provider if you do wish to port, and they'll do the work for you.
- If you bought your plan online, you'll be sent a SIM with activation instructions. Following these instructions will start porting your old number over. When the porting is finished, your new service will be active and your old service will stop working.
No personal information should be lost during this process, since that's usually stored on your phone or in a cloud backup. If you have any trouble during the process, you should be able to contact Optus' helpline on 13 39 37 for assistance, or use their live chat help.
How to cancel your Optus SIM only plan
On a month to month plan, you can cancel at any time with no extra charges over the phone on 13 39 37 or live chat, though you'll have to pay off any fees still owing. On a contract (say, if you get the SIM only plan with a new handset), you'll be charged an early termination fee that depends on how long is left in the contract.
Prepaid services can be cancelled by simply choosing not to recharge when the expiry period is finished.
- Best mobile plans on the Telstra network
- Boost Mobile gets access to Telstra 5G, but is it worth ditching big T for?
- TPG mobile deal: Get 50% off your phone plan for 6 months, is it worth it?
- Vodafone double data deal: Who qualifies for an extra 40GB?
- Telstra 5G services are about to get a lot cheaper
More guides on Finder
You can get HOYTS movie tickets with Optus from just $12.50.
How does Optus’s “unlimited” data stack up against Telstra and Vodafone?
Optus is finally offering “unlimited” data on its SIM-only plans, but how does it compare to “unlimited” data from Telstra & Vodafone?
Optus 5G plans
Ready for fast speeds? Find out if you're in an Optus 5G coverage area and sign up to one of Optus' 5G plans.
Optus Samsung S20 plans
Pre-order the latest Samsung handset from Optus and get double the data for the first year, plus a free pair of Galaxy Buds+.
Optus iPhone 11 plans
Choose from all three models of the latest iPhone on a range of 24-month and 36-month contracts.
Optus quietly launches its 5G mobile network with the Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Samsung's Galaxy Note10+ 5G will be Optus' first 5G handset, but only with very limited coverage areas.
Optus Samsung S10 plans
Optus fans have plenty of choice for picking up Samsung's latest smartphones.
Optus iPhone XS plans
Optus offers competitive plan pricing for the brand-new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.
Telstra, Optus or Vodafone: Which provider offers the most consistent speeds?
All three networks talk about huge speeds, but which delivers the best results to consumers?
Optus iPhone X plans and pricing compared May 2022
Pick up an iPhone X through Optus with plans that include up to 200GB.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Avoid bill shock and control your spending with the best-value offers.
Ask an Expert