After significant testing, these are our picks of the phones to buy
Optus SIM Only plans
If you need a SIM plan from Optus, the 2nd biggest network out there, here's what you need to know.
Optus sells practically every sort of mobile plan, from the latest smartphone contract to prepaid services. Their SIM-only postpaid plans are packed with data and extras, making them solid value on one of Australia's biggest networks. If you do end up switching to Optus, you can do so easily while keeping your old phone number on your new plan.
Optus has four different month to month "Optus Choice" plans available for those who bring their own mobile handset. All Optus plans provide data sharing across plans on the same account, and some include a free subscription to Apple Music and Optus Sport.
- Small. 10GB data for $39 per month.
- Medium. 60GB data for $49 per month.
- Large. 100GB data for $59 per month.
- Extra large. 120GB data for $79 per month.
If you break your data limit, you'll be charged $10 for each additional 1GB of data. All but the Small plan include unlimited international calls to 35 countries.
Why switch to Optus SIM only?
If you're not looking for a plan that comes with a mobile phone, Optus has a number of value-packed SIM only plans:
- Coverage. The Optus network reaches 98.5% of the Australian population, making them second only to Telstra.
- Value. From a pure data per dollar angle, all plans but the Small offer great value, coming in at less than $1 per 1GB and reaching high caps. You also get access to the bonus plan features Optus offers at no additional cost.
- Brand security and service. Optus is one of Australia's three biggest telecom companies, and offers a certain amount of security to customers because of this.
How to switch to an Optus SIM only plan
Looking to move over to Optus for your mobile plan? Here's how you do it:
- Purchase the SIM only plan you want online or in an Optus store.
- At sign up, Optus will ask if you want to transfer your existing mobile number to your new service. This is known as 'porting', and you are legally able to transfer your number whenever you wish. Tell Optus your number and current provider if you do wish to port, and they'll do the work for you.
- If you bought your plan online, you'll be sent a SIM with activation instructions. Following these instructions will start porting your old number over. When the porting is finished, your new service will be active and your old service will stop working.
No personal information should be lost during this process, since that's usually stored on your phone or in a cloud backup. If you have any trouble during the process, you should be able to contact Optus' helpline on 13 39 37 for assistance, or use their live chat help.
How to cancel your Optus SIM only plan
On a month to month plan, you can cancel at any time with no extra charges over the phone on 13 39 37 or live chat, though you'll have to pay off any fees still owing. On a contract (say, if you get the SIM only plan with a new handset), you'll be charged an early termination fee that depends on how long is left in the contract.
Prepaid services can be cancelled by simply choosing not to recharge when the expiry period is finished.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Read why this is one of the best Samsung Galaxy phones yet
Ask an Expert