After significant testing, these are our picks of the phones to buy
Optus contract mobile plans
Optus Choice contracts are organised into device repayment contracts paired with casual SIM-only plans - meaning you can change plans whenever you like, but still need to pay for your device.
What services does Optus Mobile offer?
Optus provides a wide range of mobile phone handsets on 24-month device payment plans with a set of month-to-month SIM plans. The devices include all the heavy hitters, such as Apple's iPhone range and Samsung's Galaxy S and Galaxy Note phones. For those on a more constrained budget, there are simpler handsets available at lower contract prices, including some handsets bundled free with certain plan combinations.
Your handset repayments will vary depending on the phone you choose, but they're all based off Optus' standard month-to-month Optus Choice contracts, which at a base level at the time of writing look like so:
- Optus Choice 10GB: Unlimited calls and texts plus 10GB of data for $39 a month
- Optus Choice 60GB: Unlimited calls and texts, unlimited international minutes to 35 destinations and 60GB of data for $49 a month
- Optus Choice 100GB: Unlimited calls and texts, unlimited international minutes to 35 destinations and 100GB of data for $59 a month
- Optus Choice 120GB: Unlimited calls and texts, unlimited international minutes to 35 destinations and 120GB of data for $79 a month
Optus frequently runs special offers on its contract phone plans, with either pricing discounts across the life of the plan or bonus data, and sometimes both to entice you to sign up.
- Flexibility. Since the 24-month phone repayment contracts are separate from the month-to-month SIM plans, you can opt for different SIM plan with smaller or larger data cap, depending on your needs.
- Interest-free phone payment. Device payments are interest-free if you remain on any month-to-month SIM plan for 24 or 36 months.
- Free international calls. Many tiers of Optus Choice plans come with an allotment of international calling minutes.
- Data Pool. If you have multiple Optus Choice services on the same billing account, you can pool the data together to maximise the usage of data you're already paying for.
- 24-month lock-in period. If you cancel an eligible Optus plan or move to an ineligible plan, your related device payment plan may be cancelled and you will need to pay out the remaining device payments in full.
- Add-ons and bundles. You may lose your existing add-ons if you change to an ineligible plan. Thes may still be charged in full on your current billing period.
- Phone upgrades. You can't upgrade if your phone isn't up to scratch — and you are signing up for a further two years and paying for a $149 trade up fee as well.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Read why this is one of the best Samsung Galaxy phones yet
Ask an Expert