Joint application personal loans
Get your application over the line or assume equal responsibility for finance. Find out the benefits of applying for joint personal loans.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whether you’re looking to finance a car, home renovations or a holiday, there isn’t only one way to secure that financing. Applying for a personal loan as part of a joint application can help you tick more eligibility boxes than you can on your own. It’s also a way for you and your partner to assume equal financial responsibility for a large purchase.
Several lenders offer joint applicant personal loans. This guide will shed some light on these loans and how this type of financing works.
What's in this guide?
How do you apply for a joint personal loan?
You and the person you’re applying with will provide personal, employment and financial details as part of the application. This may be done in one application or in separate sections. The lender will consider the application details as a whole when considering both your eligibilities for the loan.
What are the important points to remember about these loans?
Before you start your application, there are a few things to consider:
- If you are approved, you will assume equal responsibility for the loan with the person you are applying with. This means if either one of you becomes unable to repay, the other is still responsible for the repayments.
- Both applicants will need to meet the criteria for the personal loan.
- You may be eligible for a higher loan amount when submitting a joint personal loan application. It’s important not to take on more of a loan than you need or can afford, even if you are approved for it.
- Joint personal loans are a serious responsibility. Consider the relationship you have with the person you’re applying with and their financial situation. Is their job stable? What is their credit history like? Are they likely to default? These are the things you will need to think about when taking on the responsibility of a loan.
- Additional repayments without penalty
- No early exit fees
- Borrow up to $55,000
100% confidential application
NAB Personal Loan Unsecured Fixed
NAB offers a fixed interest rate loan. Use your loan for a holiday, home improvement, a special project or even a wedding. It’s even a smart way to take control of your credit card debt.
- Interest rate from: 6.99% p.a.
- Comparison rate: 7.91% p.a.
- Interest rate type: Fixed
- Application fee: $150
- Minimum loan amount: $5,000
- Maximum loan amount: $55,000
Compare joint application personal loans
Use the table below to compare a range of loans you can jointly apply for.
What are the benefits of applying with another person?
These loans are an option for several reasons, and they provide a variety of benefits. Here are some of the features:
- Increase your chances of approval. If you are on a lower income, self-employed or just want to bolster your application, a joint personal loan can be a way to do it. The details of both applicants will considered by the lender.
- Share an asset. If you’re planning to share the asset you’re purchasing, such as buying a car with your partner, a joint application could make more sense than one of you applying by yourself. Consider your own personal situation to decide what will work best for you.
- Be eligible for a larger loan. You may be eligible for a larger loan if you apply with a partner. As you both agree to manage the repayments, the lender will consider the income and financial situation of both applicants when deciding how much to lend you.
- Consolidate large debts. If you and your partner have large debts separately, you can both save by applying for a joint debt consolidation personal loan. Split the monthly repayment according to how much debt you contributed to the loan and benefit from the reduced interest and fees.
Which lenders offer joint applicant personal loans, and are there any conditions?
|Lender||Joint applications accepted?||What personal loans can you apply for jointly?||What conditions are there?|
|ANZ||Fixed rate, variable rate loans and car loans||To be eligible you must apply over the phone or inbranch.|
|Bankwest||Car loans and unsecured personal loans||Up to two people can apply.|
|Bank of Melbourne||-||-|
|CommBank||Variable rate, fixed rate and secured car loans||To be eligible you must apply over the phone or inbranch.|
|CUA||Fixed and variable rate personal loans.||Up to four people can apply.|
|Fair Go Finance||-||-|
|Gateway Bank||Secured car loan and unsecured personal loan||You can apply, but you need to download and fax the application or call Gateway.|
|Latitude Financial Services||Secured and unsecured personal loans||Up to two people can apply.|
|IMB||New car loans, unsecured and secured personal loans||You need to be applying as married or de facto joint borrowers.|
|loans.com.au||Car loans||Up to two people can apply.|
|ME Bank||Unsecured personal loan or car finance||Up to two people can apply.|
|NAB||Unsecured fixed and variable rate loans and car loans||Up to two people can apply.|
|NRMA||Car loans||Up to two people can apply.|
|RACV||Car loans, personal loans and debt consolidation loans||Up to two people can apply.|
Joint personal loans can be a convenient option, no matter what reason you’re applying for. Think about who you are entering into the agreement with, both you and their ability to manage the loan, and whether you’re taking on the right loan for the both of you.
More guides on Finder
Non-conforming home loans guide
Imperfect credit? A non-conforming loan might help you become a home owner.
86 400 Neat home loan – variable
This flexible variable rate home loan offer from a digital lender is suitable for both home buyers and investors.
Best energy provider in Australia
Learn how to compare energy providers in your state with our free online tool.
Toyota RAV4 car loans
Compare car loans and discover prices and specs of the Toyota RAV4.
How to find out your credit score using GetCreditScore
Get a firmer grasp of your finances with this free tool.
How to get your credit score using ClearScore
How to get an accurate snapshot of your credit history with this free tool.
CommBank 0.99% Green Loan: Can you get it?
CommBank has announced a new green loan with a 0.99% interest rate, which you can use to buy and install renewable tech in your home.
Joint savings accounts
You can open a joint savings account with another person to save for a shared goal. Here's how they work and how to find the best joint savings account for you.
Afterpay hangover? Beware of impact on home loan approval
Off the back of Christmas spending, a finance expert has warned that your Afterpay habits could negatively impact your home loan application.
UCapital Unsecured Business Loan
A UCapital unsecured business loan can provide up to $300,000 without security, with repayment terms between 3 and 12 months.
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 24.79% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 10.5% p.a.
Apply for up to $50,000 to use for a variety of purposes without needing to add security. Available to self-employed applicants.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 7.91% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
Ask an Expert