Cosmetic Surgery Loans
If you’re looking to fund a cosmetic procedure, check out the range of finance options at your disposal.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Getting cosmetic surgery can give you a life-changing confidence boost, which is probably the reason cosmetic surgery is becoming increasingly common in Australia. However, that doesn’t mean that your healthcare provider will cover the procedure you want. If you have been looking at getting a cosmetic procedure, but don't have the funds available, you may want to consider a cosmetic surgery loan. Jump forward to cosmetic surgery for bad credit borrowers.
What's in this guide?
- Compare personal loans for cosmetic surgery
- What is a cosmetic surgery loan?
- What options do you have to finance cosmetic surgery?
- Plastic surgery holidays: What you need to know
- How you can compare cosmetic surgery loans
- Cosmetic surgery loans you can consider with bad credit
- What to consider with a cosmetic surgery loan
- What you'll pay for cosmetic surgery
- How you can apply for a loan for your cosmetic procedure
MacCredit Medical Financing
If you are getting cosmetic dental or medical procedures, compare the payment plans from MacCredit.
- Fixed and variable interest rates
- $0 upfront fees
- Payment plans from $4,000
Please note that the rates, fees and features mentioned here were correct at the time of publication.
- Additional repayments without penalty
- No early exit fees
- Borrow up to $55,000
100% confidential application
NAB Personal Loan Unsecured Fixed
NAB offers a fixed interest rate loan. Use your loan for a holiday, home improvement, a special project or even a wedding. It’s even a smart way to take control of your credit card debt.
- Interest rate from: 9.99% p.a.
- Comparison rate: 10.88% p.a.
- Interest rate type: Fixed
- Application fee: $150
- Minimum loan amount: $5,000
- Maximum loan amount: $55,000
Compare personal loans for cosmetic surgery
What is a cosmetic surgery loan?
A cosmetic surgery loan is essentially finance that you use to pay for cosmetic surgery. Some examples of common cosmetic surgery procedures include facelifts, breast augmentation and liposuction. How much your cosmetic surgery procedure will cost varies widely depending on the procedure, and health insurance rarely covers the costs except in instances of reconstruction or other medical reasons.
What options do you have to finance cosmetic surgery?
When looking for a cosmetic surgery loan, you can consider the following options:
Personal loans allow you to borrow money either using an asset as security or with an unsecured loan, and you can choose a variable or fixed rate option. Depending on the loan you choose, you may be able to borrow between $3,000 and $100,000 for a term of between 1 and 5 years for fixed rate loans or 1 and 7 years for variable rate loans.
Depending on your credit limit, you may be able to finance part of your procedure or even the entire thing. If you plan on using an existing card, confirm the interest rate you will be charged and whether you will be able to manage the minimum repayments. If you decide to get a new card, you may want to opt for one with 0% p.a. on purchases so it can save you money on interest, with some cards offering this for as long as 12 months.
Some lenders specialise in providing financing options for people looking to get medical treatments and procedures. The benefit in dealing with these lenders is that they are most likely familiar with the type of procedures you are looking to finance and the costs that may be involved. They offer payment plans that offer loans for amounts up to $70,000, with reduced fees being another common feature. Be wary of the interest rates that are charged with these loans as they tend to be considerably higher than with other finance options.
Plastic surgery holidays: What you need to know
In order to save money, some Australians opt to go to countries such as Thailand, where cosmetic procedures are cheaper. These are referred to as "plastic surgery holidays", and although you may save yourself some money, you could expose yourself to some serious risks.
Australia’s medical services are among the best in the world, while procedures in other countries may not be as hygienic or safe. If you are considering an overseas procedure, you may want to seek professional advice in order to understand the risks involved.
How you can compare cosmetic surgery loans
- Loan terms. You should try and determine a realistic length of time that you may need to pay back the loan in full then check that these terms are offered by the lender. The length of time you borrow for may affect the amount of interest you pay over the life of the loan and the cost of your repayments.
- Loan amount. Before signing up for the loan, you should check that you will be able to borrow the full amount of money you want. Some lenders have set minimum and maximum amounts, while the amount you will be approved for is also dependent on your credit history.
- Fixed or variable. Fixed rate loans have a set rate for the life of the loan, allowing you to plan your repayments. Variable rate loans may have a fluctuating rate, but you may also be able to take advantage of good market conditions that afford you a lower rate. Variable rate loans tend to offer longer loan terms as well.
- Repayment options. Most personal loans will have the option of weekly, fortnightly or monthly repayments that you can align with your budget, but some lenders are more restrictive. You should also see if you are able to make additional repayments without incurring fees as this option can help you save money on interest.
Options for those with bad credit
Sadly, bad credit is a reality for a number of Australians but that shouldn't stop you from getting the surgery or procedure you deserve. Did you know that there are options for credit-impaired borrowers so you can still get your implants or veneers in Australia or head to Thailand? Before you compare your options, ask yourself the following:
- Are you sure you want the procedure? Cosmetic surgery is a serious medical procedure that is often irreversible. Before you apply for finance, make sure you've properly made up your mind.
- Have you researched the risks? There are various risks associated with different surgeries. Research these risks before you consider your finance options to ensure you understand what you're getting into.
- How much will the surgery cost? This has to include the surgery plus any time you need to take off work or to pay for travel. Calculate your repayments and make sure you will be able to afford the loan for this amount.
Once you've asked yourself these and are still sure you want a bad credit loan for cosmetic surgery, you can compare your options. Start with those in the table below.
Cosmetic surgery loans you can consider with bad credit
What to consider with a cosmetic surgery loan
- Fees. Before you sign up for a loan, you should check all applicable fees that you might incur. Look for fees that you will be charged for the loan to be set up, ongoing loan administration fees plus fees you may be charged for closing the loan early or for making additional repayments.
- Interest rate. The interest rate may be fixed or variable. Although the rate contributes significantly to the cost of the loan, you need to consider this alongside other costs, such as fees, to get an idea of the real cost of the loan.
- Restrictions. Depending on the lender you go with, there may be certain restrictions placed on the loan. For instance, you may not be able to make additional repayments or be able to pay back the loan early. Make sure you are familiar with all aspects of the loan before you apply.
What you'll pay for cosmetic surgery
Below we have listed some of the most common types of cosmetic surgery, their recovery times and their price ranges in Australia.*
Type of surgery
|Rhinoplasty||Commonly known as a "nose job", this is surgery to reconstruct, reshape or otherwise "correct" the nose.||6 weeks||$7,900 - $10,900|
|Otoplasty||This is surgery on the ears that can include correcting "bat ears", "cauliflower ears" or uneven ears.||1-2 weeks||$6,990 - $7,900|
|Brow lift surgery|
Also known as a forehead lift or forehead rejuvenation, this is surgery to raise the brows.
|6 weeks||$5,900 - $6,900|
|Breast surgery||Common types of breast surgery include enlargement, reduction, breast lifts and gynaecomastia correction.||6 weeks||$5,900 - $12,900|
|Bariatric surgery||Bariatric surgery is used as a weight-loss method that helps the patient to control their appetite. This is done using a variety of methods including having a band placed around the upper portion of the stomach.||3-5 weeks||$4,000 - $5,500|
|Cosmetic dentistry||Common cosmetic dental surgery consists of veneers, implants, whitening and crowns.||5 days||$800 - $5,500|
|Laser eye surgery||Laser eye surgery, or Lasik, corrects a person's vision without the use of glasses or contact lenses. Instead, a laser is used to restore vision to the ideal 20/20.||7 - 10 days||$2600 - $3700 (per eye)|
|Hair restoration||This involves removing hair-bearing skin from one area of the body and transplanting it onto the scalp.||2 - 5 days||$3,273 - $13,200|
|Genital surgery||Genital surgery includes procedures such as circumcision and labiaplasty. Prices range depending on the procedure.||6 weeks||$3,500 - $17,990|
*This data was taken from plasticsurgery-sydney.com.au, dentalimplants.com.au, www.sydneyhairtransplant.com.au, visioneyeinstitute.com.au and uppergisurgery.com.au
For Australian couples who are struggling to have a baby, IVF programs are often the only solution. These types of fertility treatments assist the couple with getting pregnant by using donor and implantation techniques. Recent advancements have made these procedures possible for as little as $800, but since they don’t always work the first time, it can become very costly for the couple.
See Also: Personal loans for IVF treatment
How you can apply for a loan for your cosmetic procedure
To apply for a personal loan or credit card to finance a cosmetic procedure, compare your options on finder.com.au and click through to your chosen lender’s website to fill out an online application form. Eligibility requirements will differ between lenders, but you will typically need to be over the age of 18, a permanent Australian resident and have a good credit rating. You will also need to provide the following details when you apply:
- Personal details including your name, age and proof of your identification
- Financial details including your assets, debts and liabilities
- Your income and pay frequency, which may require payslips or tax returns
- Your employer’s name and contact information
More guides on Finder
Brighte Personal Loan
Looking to renovate your home? Find out more about Brighte's personal loan for home improvements and ways in which it may be able to benefit you.
Credit card woes: Where do Aussies turn if they can’t pay off their plastic?
Only half of Australians who find themselves buried under out-of-control credit card debt could dig themselves out, according to Finder.
Free Loan Agreement Templates (Australia)
Learn how to write a loan agreement and find out where you can get free legal templates.
ebroker Business Loans review
Whatever your business loan requirement, ebroker may be able to help. With a range of loan options from over 70 bank and non-bank lenders compared on-site, could you find the right loan for your business?
Now Finance Secured Personal Loan review
Get rewarded for an excellent credit score with a Now Finance personalised rate secured personal loan. Rates vary between 5.95% p.a. and 15.45% p.a. Apply today.
Book a doctor online
Whether you’re looking for everyday care or specialist treatment, there are a range of online providers who can help with your healthcare needs.
Alex Personal Loan review
Alex is a neobank lender specialising in personalised rate personal loans. Find out more about Alex's personal loans and what fees and features are involved.
nmoni Personal Loans review
nmoni is an Australian lender that offers personal loans to both good and bad credit applicants. Find out more about nmoni's rates, fees and features.
Plenti green loans
Becoming more energy efficient has a multitude of benefits for both the environment and your wallet. An added bonus is, you might be able to get a low-rate loan to help you. Find out more about Plenti's green loan here.
Plenti Personal Loans
Looking for a competitive rate? Plenti offers loans funded by investors with rates that are tailored to your personal circumstances.
Personal Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 25.69% p.a. based on your risk profile.
Apply for a loan up to $50,000 and repay your loan over 3 or 5 years terms.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 9.99% p.a. and 18.99% p.a. ( 10.88% p.a. to 19.83% p.a. comparison rate) based on your risk profile
An unsecured loan up to $55,000 you can use for a range of purposes and pay off over up to 7 years. Note: Majority of customers will get the headline rate of 12.69% p.a. (13.56% p.a. comparison rate) or less. See Comparison rate warning in (i) above.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.99% p.a. and 20.49% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Benefit from no ongoing fees and no early repayment fee.
You'll receive a fixed rate between 6.95% p.a. and 17.95% p.a. based on your risk profile
A loan from $5,000 to use for a range of purposes. Make additional repayments or pay off the loan early, penalty-free.
Ask an Expert