This Finder exclusive plan gets you a big data for under $1/day.
Vodafone Red Plus postpaid plans
Vodafone Red Plus SIM only plans offer a unique way to get your phone on an interest-free contract over 12, 24 or 36 months with a month-to-month SIM plan.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Compare Vodafone SIM only postpaid plans
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What services does Vodafone offer?
Vodafone provides services for contract mobile customers on its own 3G and 4G networks which provide services across Australia.
Its Vodafone postpaid SIM-only contract offerings include SIM-only plans on month-to-month, 12 or 24 month terms, as well as plans that include a wide range of smartphones. Depending on your choice of plan tier and device there may be repayments involved in a handset plan. Once you've hit your data limit, you can keep browsing for free with "endless" data with capped speed.
How much does Vodafone Mobile cost?
Vodafone's approach to mobile contracts used to follow the normal routine of a handset paired with a mobile plan and handset repayments over 24 months, but in 2017 it re-engineered its approach to plans that included a handset.
New Vodafone mobile plans explicitly separate the handset contract from the mobile plan in terms of repayments, although you must maintain a Vodafone mobile plan over the life of your handset contract.
That's an approach that gives you a lot of flexibility because you can opt to pay off a handset over 12, 24 or 36 months at any given plan price, although it does mean that higher plan prices don't get lower handset repayments. As such, it's important to carefully consider the total cost paid for a phone plus service through Vodafone Australia.
That starts with Vodafone's SIM-only postpaid plans, which come in multiple variants depending on whether you favour larger data allowances to use while in Australia or need more calling minutes for select international destinations. All of Vodafone's SIM only plans include unlimited standard national calls and texts, plus inclusions relative to their pricing tiers.
- SIM Only Lite: 10GB for $40 per month. "Endless" data speed cap of 2Mbps.
- SIM Only Lite+: 30GB for $45 per month. Includes 100 international minutes for countries in Zone 1. "Endless" data speed cap of 2Mbps.
- SIM Only Super: 60GB for $55 per month. Includes 1,000 international minutes for Zone 1 countries, and 100 minutes for Zone 2 countries. "Endless" data speed cap of 10Mbps.
- SIM Only Super+: 100GB for $65 per month. Includes unlimited international minutes to Zone 1 countries, and 200 minutes for Zone 2 countries. "Endless" data speed cap of 10Mbps.
- SIM Only Ultra: 150GB for $120 per month. Includes unlimited international minutes to Zone 1 countries, and 300 minutes for Zone 2 countries. "Endless" data speed cap of 25Mbps.
These figures are the baselines presently, but it's well worth checking what Vodafone's current plan deals are at a given point in time since it frequently offers special deals that either cut prices or increase data quotas on plans and sometimes both.
You can also get a bundled discount of up to 20% on Vodafone Mobile plans if you have 2 or more (or other qualifying Vodafone network products) via its Vodafone Bundle & Save discount scheme.
You can sign up for just a SIM-only version of these plans without a handset.
What extras does Vodafone Mobile offer?
Vodafone offers an unusual level of flexibility in its contract phone inclusions, depending on whether your usage suits international calling, heavy data usage or entertainment via streaming and online media. You can mix and match certain combinations within those plans depending on whether you want international calling or additional data provisions.
Vodafone offers its contract customers a very simple international roaming proposition; for $5 per day while roaming across a large number of countries you can access any provisions in your contract at no additional charge. Given that all its contract plans include unlimited calls and texts, that’s a lot better than many roaming deals you might otherwise consider.
What excess charges could I face on these plans?
Vodafone makes a point of bundling standard infinite national calls and texts with its contract plans, but the use of the word standard there is a bit of a clue that there are some usage types that you can incur charges for. As these are postpaid plans, any additional usage will be charged for on top of your regular monthly scheduled fee.
Within Australia, you will incur additional charges for calls or texts made to or from premium services, with charge rates as set by the premium service provider.
Vodafone sticks to the industry standard for excess data usage charges, with any use above your existing quota charged at $10 per GB. This charge applies as soon as you go over quota, even if it's only by a little, and is then levied for each additional GB of usage, or part thereof.
Many (but not all) of Vodafone's plans include international calling inclusions to selected countries in the form of calling minutes. Exhaust those, or call countries not included in Vodafone's offers, and you'll pay Vodafone's current international calling rates which can be found here.
Vodafone customers who roam internationally in 55 selected countries incur a flat $5 per day roaming charge, which covers access to your existing plan inclusions. That means that you can use your data and call inclusions for contacting Australian numbers to the extent of your plan provision for a flat $5 fee. Outside of those countries, Vodafone charges a flat $1 per minute to make or receive calls, 75c per text message sent and $1 per MB of data usage.
Vodafone customers who wish to exit their contract early will incur cancellation fees, typically charged as a flat sum multiplied by the number of months remaining on the contract, plus any outstanding handset repayment fees. This doesn't apply if you cancel within your first contract month, as long as you return the handset in good working order.
- $5 Roaming. There isn’t an easier roaming deal out there than Vodafone’s simple $5/day roaming deal for contract customers.
- Choice of extras. Vodafone's contract plans are exceptionally flexible depending on your calling, data and entertainment needs
- Network satisfaction guarantee. Vodafone will let you gracefully exit your contract if you’re not happy in the first 30 days
- Smaller network. Vodafone’s done a lot of work on improving its network, but this is most notable in metropolitan areas. In regional spaces, it’s the smallest of the three competing networks.
- No 700Mhz. Vodafone notably did not compete in the spectrum auction for 700Mhz frequencies, which means its overall 4G coverage and speeds in some areas can be limited.
- 6 easy ways to earn Qantas Points on everyday expenses
- EOFY sales: Last chance to save on mobiles and tech
- As household costs rise, here are 6 easy switches to save you money
- Mobile EOFY sales include $10 plans from Optus, Boost and more
- Optus MVNOs can now support eSIMs, but what’s so great about that?
More guides on Finder
Vodafone iPhone plans
Vodafone has some great deals if you're looking for an affordable way to own a new iPhone, with no excess data charges involved.
Vodafone 5G coverage
Vodafone 5G is currently available in over 350 suburbs across 6 Australian states - NSW, VIC, QLD, SA, WA and ACT.
Vodafone $5 roaming review
Vodafone's $5 roaming is the simplest way to use your mobile plan's data and calls while you travel, but how does it work?
Previously called Vodafone's New Phone Every Year program, Vodafone trade-in allows you to save on a new phone using your old one.
Vodafone SIM plans compared
Everything you need to know about Vodafone's SIM-Only plans.
Vodafone prepaid plans
Vodafone's prepaid plans are the only ones in the market that offer 35-day expiries. Find out more on Vodafone's prepaid plans here.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Avoid bill shock and control your spending with the best-value offers.
Ask an Expert