Vodafone prepaid plans offer a focus on flexibility with long-term expiries and international inclusions.
What Prepaid services does Vodafone Mobile offer?
Mobile network brand Vodafone provides prepaid SIM-only services on its own 4G and 3G networks across Australia. It also sells a limited and frequently changing range of prepaid handsets on outright terms; these are nearly always quite low-end budget-centric models.
Vodafone prepaid offerings include its Combo Plus plans, which come with a variety of higher-end inclusions, as well as its 365 Plus long-expiry plans.
How much does Vodafone Mobile cost?
Vodafone prepaid Combo Plus deals sell for $30-$50 as a starter pack. Each tier includes unlimited standard national calls and texts, but the lower-tier $30 option expires after 28 days whereas the higher tiers feature 35-day expiries.
Starter packs for Vodafone’s 365 Plus long-expiry plans are also offered for between $30 to $50. As the name suggests, expiry for all recharges and starter packs is 365 days. Calls are charged at 20c per minute. That’s the same price you’ll pay for a text, while data will cost you 2c per MB.
What extras does Vodafone Mobile offer?
In the prepaid space Vodafone doesn’t lay on all that many extras, which isn’t entirely surprising given that the core appeal of a prepaid plan is budget certainty rather than additional enticements. It does include a quota of calling minutes to selected International destinations on its higher-tier Combo Plus plans, though, with up to 1150 international minutes available every month.
- International call inclusions. Not too many prepaid plans consider international calling, except perhaps to charge you extra for it.
- Long expiry options. All 365 Plus plans include 365 days expiry.
- Smaller network. Vodafone’s done a lot of work on improving its network, but this is most notable in metropolitan areas. In regional spaces, it’s the smallest of the three competing networks.
- 28 day expiry on the cheapest Combo Plus plan. It’s become more common on prepaid plans, but the difference between a 28 and 30 day recharge adds up to nearly an extra recharge every calendar year.
Vodafone prepaid recharge options
There’s a wide variety of ways to recharge your Vodafone prepaid mobile phone service depending on your personal preference. As with many prepaid plans it’s worth reading the terms and conditions to determine if there are advantages to recharging earlier than your expiry period in order to take advantage of any rollover bonuses, which may vary by plan.
- Recharge online: Vodafone has a dedicated web portal (https://myaccount.myvodafone.com.au/recharge/new) for managing prepaid recharges for your own phone, or any Vodafone prepaid phone number. Payments are accepted through Visa, Mastercard, American Express or PayPal.
- Via MyVodafone app: Vodafone provides a dedicated smartphone app for managing your prepaid use, including recharges. It’s available for free for iOS (download here), Android (download here) or Windows Phone devices(download here)
- Recharge via SMS: You can recharge your Vodafone prepaid service via text message, sending a specific keyword to enable an automatic recharge as long as you’ve already assigned a credit card to your account. Vodafone’s video takes you through the process:
- Via voucher: Recharge vouchers for Vodafone prepaid services are available from a wide variety of mass market retailers, as well as at any Vodafone store. Vouchers do have specific expiry dates, so it’s important to apply them at the right time otherwise you may find they have expired. Vouchers can be redeemed through Vodafone’s web portal or the MyVodafone app.
Latest Vodafone news
Whether you're looking for a 12-month, 24-month or 36-month contract, here's what buying the iPhone XR will cost you at Vodafone. Read more…
If you don't want to shell out more than $1,000 upfront for Huawei's latest smartphones, these contract options are your best bet. Read more…
If you're looking to grab Huawei's new Mate 20 on contract, Vodafone's your one and only option. Read more…
Pre-orders for the Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL are now open with Vodafone on 12-month, 24-month or 36-month contracts. Read more…
Here's what you'll pay for a Google Pixel 3 from Australian telcos. Read more…