Petplan pet insurance
Compare pet insurance policies on offer from globally recognised insurer Petplan.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Since the company's beginnings more than 35 years ago in the UK, PetPlan has grown to become the largest and most experienced pet insurance pet insurance provider in the world. Now available in Australia, Petplan offers four pet insurance policies to help you pay the vet bills for your cat and dog: Essential, Classic 1, Classic 2 and Ultimate.
Underwritten by Allianz Australia, these policies cover vet bills for injuries, accidents and illnesses, as well as third party liability expenses, loss by theft and complementary therapies. Keep reading to learn more about what is covered under the different PetPlan policies.
Petplan pet insurance is not currently available via Finder. But don't fret! You can head to their website at www.petplan.com.au for more information or compare a bunch of other pet insurance companies with Finder.
Petplan offers four levels of cover to suit a range of budgets: Essential, Classic 1, Classic 2 and Ultimate.
Cover is also available for alternative or complementary treatments, advertising and reward for a lost pet, loss by theft or straying, death from illness or injury, and holiday cancellation costs if your pet goes missing or needs surgery.
Petplan even offers horse insurance to provide cover for the cost of your horse’s veterinary treatment, as well as death from injury or illness or loss by theft or straying.
- Essential. When your pet requires veterinary treatment for injury, accident or illness, this policy provides $7,000 of cover. Offering cover for a 12-month period, Petplan Essential Pet Insurance includes $1,000 of complementary therapies cover and $1 million of third party liability cover (for dogs only). Other features include a lump sum benefit if your pet dies from illness or injury (this is an optional extra) as well as boarding your pet while you are hospitalised, advertising for a lost pet and holiday cancellation fees when you cannot travel due to your pet’s health.
- Classic 1. This mid-level policy offers cover for life, which means that as long as you renew your policy each year, there is no time limit during over the life of your pet during which you can claim for illness or injury. The maximum amount you can claim for veterinary fees rises to $10,000 for dogs and $9,000 for cats under this policy, while there’s also $2,000 of complementary therapies cover and $3 million of liability protection. Other features include cover for boarding fees, advertising costs, quarantine expenses and optional lump sum death payments.
- Classic 2. This policy offers the same cover as the Classic 1 policy but to a higher level: you can receive up to $15,000 of cover for your dog’s vet bills and $10,000 worth of cover for your cat. This policy offers cover for life.
- Ultimate. Ultimate Pet Insurance from Petplan offers $20,000 for the treatment of accidents, illness and injuries for dogs and $15,000 for cats. The level of third party liability cover rises to $5 million and the amount of complementary therapies cover rises to $4,000. Ultimate Insurance provides all the same benefits as the other three policies but to a higher or identical level. In addition, some benefits which are offered as optional extras on other policies, such as loss by theft or straying and a death benefit, are included as standard. This policy also offers cover for life.
- Horse Insurance. Petplan Equine Insurance offers cover for veterinary fees, death from illness or injury, loss by theft or straying, disposal following humane destruction or death, saddlery and tack, and horse floats and horse-drawn vehicles.
|Lifetime Cover||Ultimate||Classic 2||Classic 1||Essential|
|Third party liability (dogs only)|
|Death from illness|
|Death from injury|
|Advertising and reward|
|Loss by theft or straying|
|Quarantine expenses and loss of documents|
There are several factors that will influence the cost of your Petplan Pet Insurance premiums, including:
- The breed of your pet. Dogs cost more to insure than cats, and Petplan covers a higher proportion of dog vet bills than it does for cats. You’ll also have to consider the fact that certain breeds cost more to cover - for example, a Great Dane will typically have higher veterinary bills than a Maltese.
- The policy you choose. The lower your level of cover, the less you will have to pay for premiums. Essential Pet Insurance from Petplan will cost you less than the higher level of cover available with an Ultimate Pet Insurance policy.
- Where you live. You may live in an area where you are statistically more likely to have your pet stolen, or where there may be a higher risk of your pet getting hit by a car. This will be reflected in the premium you pay.
- Your claims history. Your cover will cost more if you have previously made a claim for your pet.
Petplan will not provide any cover if:
- Your claim is for a condition that is specifically excluded from cover on your certificate of insurance.
- Your pet is less than eight weeks old at the time cover commences.
- Your claim is for a pre-existing condition or for an illness that starts in the first 21 days of cover.
- Your claim is for death from an illness or disease that occurs after your pet’s eighth birthday.
- Your claim is for routine treatment or preventative care, such as a vet check-up.
- Your claim is for the cost of an elective procedure or treatment, such as desexing.
- Your dog is used for guarding or track racing.
- Your dog’s breed is banned in Australia or your dog has been declared dangerous by a government authority.
- Your claim is connected to your pet being confiscated or destroyed by any government, public or local authority.
- Your claim is caused by you breaking animal health or importation laws.
- Your claim is caused by a malicious act, deliberate injury or gross negligence by you.
- Your claim is for an illness that your pet contracted while outside Australia or New Zealand.
- Your claim relates to a disease transmitted from animals to humans.
- Your claim is for a dog not vaccinated against distemper, hepatitis, kennel cough, leptospirosis (in areas where it is recommended) and parvovirus
- Your claim is for a cat not vaccinated against feline infectious enteritis, feline leukaemia and cat flu
If you wish to make a claim on your Petplan policy, all you have to do is download a claim form from the Petplan website, complete the form and then submit it to Petplan. Make sure to fill out all the relevant details on your form, and in some cases your vet will need to fill out certain details.
You’ll need to submit your claim form along with copies of itemised receipts and invoices. Claims can be submitted by post or by email.
If you want to ensure that your pet always gets the highest level of care, the pet insurance options offered by Petplan are well worth considering. However, it’s vital that you compare policies from a range of insurers before deciding on just one.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Pets in apartments: Sydney ruling sparks insurance questions
The NSW Supreme Court has given the go-ahead for pets in apartments. But there are things to consider before moving a furry friend into your home.
Best Google Pixel 5 cases in Australia 2020
Need a case for your Pixel 5 smartphone? Here are the best cases in Australia for a variety of styles and levels of protection.
As Australia reopens, don’t forget travel insurance
Travel insurance isn't just for overseas trips.
Life insurance for 35-year-olds
Compare life insurance policies for 35-year-olds
Top work perks: Aussies want more paid leave and insurance post-COVID
Finder asked 1,066 Australians about the top three perks they’d like their employer to provide in a post-COVID workplace. Flexibility, more leave and company health insurance topped the list.
Life insurance for new parents
We talk you through life insurance options for new parents.
Coronavirus: Common scams to watch out for
Details on the most common scams to avoid during the coronavirus health crisis, plus tips for keeping your information safe online.
TradeGecko inventory review
TradeGecko offers inventory management solutions that are suited to meet the needs of wholesale businesses and e-commerce companies.
You can get swimming pool insurance included with most home and contents insurance policies. Find out who provides cover and what insurance you need.
You might like these...
How much does it cost to insure a dog in Australia?
Ask an Expert