Online car loans
Thinking of financing a car? Apply online and you could be approved within minutes.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you’re thinking of financing a car, applying online has never been easier. You can be approved within minutes and, if you do it right, you can have the funds disbursed in less than 24 hours.
The entire process of applying for a car loan online is simple, it’s just a matter of having the right supporting documents and a few minutes of your time. From beginning to end, the process involves four stages. You’ll fill out your application and then upload your supporting documents. Your lender will then inform you of a decision, or they’ll request more information, and once approved, you’ll review your contract, sign, and send it back to your lender who will then release the funds to the vehicle seller.
Compare a range of online car loans
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How does applying for a car loan online work?
Stage one: File application
Your online application plays a very important role in helping your lender assess your repayment ability. As a result, you should always fill out an accurate and complete application.
Stage two: Supporting documentation
Once you’ve filled out your application, you’ll need to upload supporting documentation. Depending on the lender, you may be able upload your documentation directly to the loan application or you’ll have to use other methods such as fax or email.
Stage three: Lender decision
Once you’ve submitted your application and supporting documents, your lender will either notify you of its decision or ask for further information. In many cases, after submitting your application lenders can give you approval or pre-approval while supporting documents and other requested information are still pending.
Stage four: Contract review, signing and disbursement of funds
If approved, your lender will send you a loan contract for review. This contract contains vital information including your loan term, repayment schedule and interest rate, so take your time when reviewing it. After reviewing, if you’re comfortable with the terms, you’ll sign the contract and return it to your lender who will then distribute the funds to the vehicle seller.
What do you need to apply for a car loan online?
You’ll need certain information as well as documentation to fill out your application. Generally, you should have the following on hand:
- Personal information. This includes information such as your driver’s license number, contact information, income and residential status.
- Employment information. This includes information regarding your employment history to help your lender assess your stability as an applicant.
- Requested loan details. You’ll need to provide your requested loan amount along with your preferred methods of repayment.
- Driver’s license or certified ID.Your driver’s license, or other valid identification, is used as proof of your current address and to help your lender conduct a credit check.
- Proof of income. These include bank statements, payslips, financial statements, rental income statements or anything else serving as proof of the income declared on your application.
- Proof of insurance. Depending on the lender, you may be required to provide proof of insurance on the car you plan to purchase.
- Vehicle details. You’ll need to provide information about your vehicle’s make and model, the seller’s asking price and the seller’s details (such as location and name of business).
Pros and cons of applying for an online car loan
- Quick process. Most lenders will come to a decision on the same day you apply and, in many cases, you can get funds disbursed in as little as one day.
- Bargaining power. Since just about every individual needs a car, competition among lenders is fierce. This results in better bargaining power for consumers.
- Convenience. Applying for a car loan online is simply much more convenient than having to apply in-person at a dealership or bank.
- Applying too many times.Lenders may deny your application if they see you’ve been applying for too many loans within a short period of time. Doing this also lowers your credit score.
- Short pre-approval times. Keep in mind that any pre-approval you get from a lender will expire in a very short amount of time.
- Credit history. Red flags in your credit history, such as missed or late payments, will hurt your chances of being approved.
Is there anything you should avoid?
- Getting into too much debt. Since car loans involve a lengthy financial commitment, make sure you can afford the repayments required by your lender. Also, compare your options from different lenders to make sure you’re getting the best deal.
- Getting mixed up with shady sellers. Avoid any seller that tells you to falsify information on your loan application. Not only is it illegal, but you carry all the risk while the seller carries none. In addition, make sure you’re fully aware of the car’s condition before buying it. Always have an expert conduct a thorough checkup of any vehicle you plan to purchase.
Have more questions?
Can I still qualify with bad credit history?
There are lenders that may approve your application even with a history of bad credit. However, this would likely mean significantly higher rates and fees.
Can I still qualify with an insufficient income?
If you’re in this situation, you may still be able to qualify by using another asset as additional security for your loan. You can also ask your lender if you could have a loan guarantor.
What happens if I default on my payments?
Since you’re likely to be required to put up your vehicle as security for your loan, your lender will have the right to seize your vehicle if you default on your payments.
More guides on Finder
Citi Clear Credit Card – Exclusive Offer
This Citi Clear Credit Card offer includes 0% on balance transfers for 28 months and a reduced first-year annual fee. Compare and apply here.
First home buyers: Sign up for our free 8-week e-course
Learn everything you need to know to go from wishful buyer to happy homeowner with our FREE first home buyers 8-week course!
Precious metals: What investors should know in 2021
SPONSORED: Here’s what you should know if you’re thinking about adding precious metals to your portfolio.
Business loans for Centrelink recipients
Centrelink might block your business idea from taking off, but a variety of finance options including government schemes can help your business succeed.
Mortgage House Fix and Save home loan
This fixed rate home loan offers the rare ability to make extra payments, allowing you to pay down your debt even faster.
Mortgage House Advantage Investment loan
A review of Mortgage House’s Advantage Investment home loan. Learn more about this loan.
Guarantor Personal Loans
If you don't quite meet the criteria for a personal loan, applying with a guarantor can help get your application over the line.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
CarClarity Car Loan
Find the best car loan for your circumstances with CarClarity. Rates start from just 3.35% p.a. and borrowers can apply for loans from $10,000 to $250,000 for new and used cars.
Car Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.99% p.a.
A low minimum borrowing amount of $2,000 that you can use to purchase a new car or one up to two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.69% p.a.
Take advantage of a competitive rate, pre-approval and no early repayment fees when you finance a car under two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate from 4.99% p.a.
A larger loan of $5,000 or more to help you buy a new or used car. 5-hour pre approval available and no ongoing fees.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.99% p.a.
Purchase a new or used car up to 2 years old and benefit from a fixed rate and no monthly fees. Pre-approval available within 5 business hours.
Ask an Expert