Do you want to find out the previous sale details of a property? Here’s how to get all the info you need online.
When you're looking to buy a home it's essential to research the past sales history of properties you're interest in. You need to find out when a property was last sold, how much it sold for and if it's had multiple owners in recent years. Finding the answers to these questions can teach you a great deal about the value of a property, so let’s look at where you can go to get the information you need.
You can check out property histories on Domain right now
Where can I find a property’s sold history?
Property listing sites are a good place to start. You could look at some of the following sites:
- Domain. Research over 13 million properties, see sales and rental histories and study market trends. You can also check whether a property was sold at auction or by private treaty. Even if a property's sale history is private you can search sold properties by suburb and the listings are ordered by price, giving you a reasonable estimation.
- Realestate.com.au. Find property sales histories, market trends and suburb profiles. The website also has a useful insights tool for investors.
- Onthehouse.com.au. Search over 12 million properties and review sales histories and estimated property values.
- All homes. Property listing site that shows sales histories for over 10 million properties and auction results.
Note that there are many other websites that may also help with your search for property sales history. Take the time to do a search online so you can get the most specific information for any property you’re thinking of buying.
Why is a property’s sold history important?
The previous sales history can tell you a lot about a property. By finding out how much the current owners paid for the property, for example, you can get a good idea of how much the property was worth in the past. This will also help you form a better idea of whether the current asking price represents value for money. You can also get an idea of how the property’s value has changed and whether it could increase at a similar rate in future years.
But price isn’t the only important factor. Most property listing websites can provide information about when and how often the property was sold. This information can be used to help you decide if the property is right for you. For example, it may have experienced a high ownership turnover in the past decade, suggesting there is something wrong with the house, apartment or unit in question.
Finally, you can also access information about local market trends and which real estate agency handled previous sales. This information helps you form a clearer picture about the pros and cons of the property.
Other information you can find when researching a property’s sold history
Researching a property’s sold history on the websites listed above can also generate a wide range of other useful information, including:
- The property’s rental history. Some real estate listing websites allow you to access data on when the property has previously been leased and the value of the rent.
- Renovation history. Most listings of a property’s sold history will also include photos from previous sales listings. If the property has been renovated by previous owners, you may be able to use these photos to get a better idea of what was changed in the renovation.
- Property reports. Many listings sites, banks and other companies offer free property reports that list comparable sales in the same area, price estimations and sales history. Reports often come in PDF form and can be emailed to you, providing a quick and convenient source of information.
- Price estimates. Many property websites offer an estimate of the property’s current value to give you an idea of whether the asking price is fair. However, remember that these prices are estimates and should be used as rough guides only.
- Maps. Not only can you look at where the property is located but in some cases you can also view specific details regarding a home’s dimensions.
- The local property market. Some sites, for example realestate.com.au, provide additional information such as suburb profiles and median suburb property price histories to help you understand market trends and work out the value of the property compared to similar properties in the area.
Finding out about a property is one of the first steps you should take when looking at investments or a home. Start searching for the sold history of properties today to help you make an informed decision about where to buy.
Need to finance a home purchase? Compare mortgages from across the market
Aussie Home Loans is both a lender and a mortgage broker, and offers a range of services.
- FREE Suburb and Property Report with every appointment.
- Access 3,000+ loans from over 20 lenders.
- Get expert help with your loan application, including paperwork and eligibility.
- Over 1000 brokers who are able to help you in your local area.
The Adviser’s number 1 placed mortgage broker 5 years running (2013-2017)