Do you want to find out the previous sale details of a property? Here’s how to get all the info you need online.
When you’re deciding whether or not to buy a property, it’s essential to find out as much as you can about it to work out if you’re getting a good deal. From real estate market trends to flood maps and crime statistics, there’s a wealth of useful information online.
But a property’s sold history is a particularly important area to research. When was the property last sold? How much did it sell for? Has it had multiple owners in recent years? Finding the answers to these questions can teach you a great deal about the value of a property, so let’s look at where you can go to get the information you need.
Why is a property’s sold history important?
The previous sales history can tell you a lot about a property. By finding out how much the current owners paid for the property, for example, you can get a good idea of how much the property was worth in the past. This will also help you form a better idea of whether the current asking price represents value for money. You can also get an idea of how the property’s value has changed and whether it could increase at a similar rate in future years.
But price isn’t the only important factor. Most property listing websites can provide information about when and how often the property was sold. This information can be used to help you decide if the property is right for you. For example, it may have experienced a high ownership turnover in the past decade, suggesting there is something wrong with the house, apartment or unit in question.
Finally, you can also access information about local market trends and which real estate agency handled previous sales. This information helps you form a clearer picture about the pros and cons of the property.
Where can I find a property’s sold history?
A simple Google search will churn up plenty of useful results on a property’s previous sales history. Some of the websites that offer this data include:
Find out when the property was sold, for how much and which real estate agency handled the sale.
Research over 13 million properties, see sales and rental histories and study market trends. You can also check whether a property was sold at auction or by private treaty.
This website features sold histories, land sizes and price estimates for more than 12 million properties.
Search a property’s sales history, view past photos and block of land maps.
Note that there are many other websites that may also help with your search for property sales history. Take the time to do a search online so you can get the most specific information for any property you’re thinking of buying.
Other information you can find when researching a property’s sold history
Researching a property’s sold history on the websites listed above can also generate a wide range of other useful information, including:
- The property’s rental history. Some real estate listing websites allow you to access data on when the property has previously been leased and the value of the rent.
- Renovation history. Most listings of a property’s sold history will also include photos from previous sales listings. If the property has been renovated by previous owners, you may be able to use these photos to get a better idea of what was changed in the renovation.
- Price estimates. Many property websites offer an estimate of the property’s current value to give you an idea of whether the asking price is fair. However, remember that these prices are estimates and should be used as rough guides only.
- Maps. Not only can you look at where the property is located but in some cases you can also view specific details regarding a home’s dimensions.
- The local property market. Some sites, for example realestate.com.au, provide additional information such as suburb profiles and median suburb property price histories to help you understand market trends and work out the value of the property compared to similar properties in the area.
Finding out about a property is one of the first steps you should take when looking at investments or a home. Start searching for the sold history of properties today to help you make an informed decision about where to buy.