Want to save when upgrading your phone? Vodafone lets you trade in your old phone and get bill credit or money towards a new device.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you're planning to stick with Vodafone when your current phone contract expires, you might as well save some money on your next phone by trading in the one you have now.
How does Vodafone trade-in work?
The Vodafone device trade-in program allows you to trade in your old mobile phone or tablet to either earn credit towards your phone bill or towards a new device plan. The amount of credit you receive depends on the model and condition of your device. Not all devices are eligible.
This process was previously known as Vodafone's New Phone Every Year program.
To trade in, follow these steps:
- Check device. Use Vodafone's eligibility checker to see if you can trade in your device, as well as how much credit you might get.
- Download the trade-in app. This app is available from the Apple App Store and Google Play.
- Prep your device. Back up any data you want to keep and remove SIM cards or other accessories.
- Hand it in. Call Vodafone on 1300 650 410 or go in-store. You'll need a valid ID (such as a driver's licence).
What terms and conditions do I need to watch out for?
As with anything, Vodafone's trade-in scheme has a few strings attached. Here are the main ones that might cause you problems:
- Eligibility. Not only do you have to have one of the devices that Vodafone accepts, you must also have a current Vodafone postpaid plan and be the account holder.
- Credit reduction. Even if you follow all the steps and get a credit amount stated for your device, that may not be what you actually receive. The evaluator in-store or at Asurion (if you go via the mail-in customer care method) may decide your phone is worth less than you were told.
- Credit is not upfront. Any credit from your device will only be applied immediately in full to your bill if you sign up for a new device plan at the same time. Otherwise, you can only have the credit applied in instalments over 12, 24 or 36 months, meaning you have to stay with Vodafone for at least a year. Credit is lost if you cancel your plan early.
- Trade-in limit. You can only trade in one device every year or two devices if you sign up to new device payment plans with both.
How can I tell if my device will be accepted?
Your phone's condition and functionality will be assessed by the Vodafone Trade-In app, which will require you to grant several permissions for a full assessment. While condition is determined on an individual basis, Vodafone states that good condition means your device is:
- Able to turn on and off and function normally (e.g. touch screen, buttons, microphone, etc)
- Free from physical damage, including cracks but not normal wear and tear
- Not liquid damaged or network locked
- Not activation locked (such as through Find My iPhone or Find My Device)
The worse the condition of your device, the less credit you'll receive, potentially down to zero.
Compare phone plans with Vodafone
Ready to trade your phone in for a new one with Vodafone? Take a look at the latest handsets on offer from Vodafone
Frequently asked questions
Latest mobile news
Telstra has hopped on board with EOFY deals on a bunch of phones, accessories and more, including the latest iPhone 12 and Samsung Galaxy S21 models.Read more…
You'll get a Samsung phone for cheaper, but be prepared to sign up for a brand new credit card to get it.Read more…
Are you in the market for a new mobile phone or plan? These limited-time deals from Click Frenzy™ could set you up nicely.Read more…
Latest report from the TIO reveals consumers are signing up for services and products they don't fully understand or need.Read more…
You can now snag a brand-spanking new Samsung Galaxy S21+ handset with a sweet discount through Telstra.Read more…
You can now share you data between 10 Telstra plans. Find out how it works and which Telstra plans offer this feature.Read more…
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Get no excess data charges on these unlimited data mobile plans.
Avoid bill shock and control your spending with the best-value offers.