This October deal is hard to look past.Read more…
Telstra trade in
Return your old phone or tablet and get a credit on an upcoming bill with Telstra.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Telstra's device trade in scheme takes certain models of phones and other gadgets in decent condition and converts them into credit on one of your bills.
The 'Telstra New Phone Feeling' program used to be part of this, but is not available to new customers as of January 2020.
How does Telstra trade in work?
Telstra's trade in program allows customers to exchange older devices for credit that will then be applied to their upcoming bills. Only certain Apple, Samsung, and Google phones are eligible.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Log into the app. The Telstra trade in portal is available once you've logged into the My Telstra app, available from both the Apple App Store and Google Play.
- Assess eligibility. Go to the services tab and select your mobile number. Select "Got an old device?" and complete the eligibility assessment.
- Prepare your device.Back up any data you want to keep, disable location and locking features, remove your SIM card, and reset your device to factory settings.
- Send in your phone.Telstra only accepts trade in devices via the registered satchel that they will send to you. Once your device has been returned and processed, you'll receive your bill credit in full within the next 2 billing cycles.
What are the terms and conditions?
Luckily, Telstra's trade in program is relatively straightforward, but there are a few details that might trip you up.
- Eligibility. In addition to owning one of the devices that Telstra will accept, you must be a current Telstra postpaid account holder and be 18 or older.
- Time limit. Once you've received your return satchel or an eParcel notification that it has arrived, you must send your device within 10 days. If you don't, it could be refused.
- Reduced credit.Upon receiving your device, Telstra may decide that it doesn't match your description of its condition. In this case, they may give you the choice of accepting a smaller amount of credit than quoted, or return your device to you.
How do I tell if my device is in 'good condition'
While the exact condition of your device will be calculated through the My Telstra trade in portal and Telstra itself, Telstra suggests that phones in good condition:
- Are able to power on and off without being connected to a charger.
- Have uncracked, unscratched screens without internal damage like dimming or discolouration.
- Have cameras that can take photos free of visible chips or cracks.
- Not be noticeably discoloured on the exterior, or bent.
- Have a low number of scratches or dents on the case be visible in natural light.
You may still be able to trade in devices that aren't in great condition, but the credit value will drop sharply the more damaged your device is.
What is Upgrade and Protect (trading up)?
Upgrade and Protect is a feature that you can add to a new device payment plan when you purchase it. Essentially, it allows you to upgrade or replace that device during the life of the contract without paying its full remaining value.
The process of upgrading involves paying a one-off redemption fee based on your device's condition, returning your device, and entering into a new device payment contract with the replacement device.
Compare phone plans with Telstra
Find the latest Telstra phone plans below to get an idea of what's available so that you're ready to trade-in or trade-up your device.
Frequently asked questions
Latest mobile news
Telstra Day discounts are back from now until midnight.Read more…
Get enough data on your mobile plan so you're not struggling to upload your Instagram stories while you're out and about.Read more…
Now's your chance to get any of the S21 phone models for $500 less than their original price.Read more…
amaysim is right on trend for offering a good amount of data for cheap.Read more…
Get 50GB for just $10 on your first 3 recharges with our Finder exclusive amaysim deal. You won't find this plan anywhere else.Read more…
More guides on Finder
Google Pixel 6: Everything we know so far
Google is lining up a new design and an entirely new processor system for the Pixel 6 range as it shifts back into the premium phone market.
Telstra’s 1-day sale: $500 off S21 Ultra and iPhone 12 Pro
Telstra Day discounts are back from now until midnight.
Turtle Beach Recon controller review: Full control
The Recon controller provides some much needed extra control for Xbox and PC gamers but makes some trade offs to get there.
Vodafone S21 sale: Skip the iPhone 13 and get $500 off Samsung instead
Now's your chance to get any of the S21 phone models for $500 less than their original price.
Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max review: Everything about it is big, including the price
The iPhone 13 Pro Max is the top-of-the-line Apple device. It has a big battery, camera and price tag, but is it worth the extra cash?
Apple iPhone 13 Pro review: Incremental improvements make for a superb premium phone
You don't need to upgrade to the iPhone 13 Pro if you're using the iPhone 12 or 11, but if you do, you're going to get a seriously impressive handset.
Apple iPhone 13 review: A well-balanced iPhone for long-term upgraders
Apple's upgraded iPhone 13 isn't quite its most desirable model, but it strikes a fine balance between price and features if you're firmly in the iPhone camp and looking for an upgrade from a much older handset.
Apple iPhone 13 Mini review: An impressive device, except for the battery
The iPhone 13 Mini packs a lot of power. But fantastic performance and camera capabilities don't quite make up for the weak battery.
Where to buy the Apple iPhone 13 in Australia
Here are all the places you can buy the iPhone 13 in Australia.
iPhone 13 trade-in offers: Telstra vs Optus vs Vodafone best deals
You could save hundreds of dollars with an iPhone 13 trade-in offer from Telstra, Optus or Vodafone.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Exclusive to Finder, this amaysim deal give big data at small prices.
Avoid bill shock and control your spending with the best-value offers.
Ask an Expert