Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Transfer of property title ownership: How to transfer a house title

Changing property ownership between spouses or other co-owners is relatively straightforward, but there are a few steps involved. Here's what you need to know.

There are a number of reasons why people look into changing the names on a property title. You might have shared ownership between high and low income earners and you want to spread the capital gain and income tax liabilities. Or perhaps there's been a relationship breakdown and one co-owner is transferring the property to the other.

You need to know the different types of ownership structure to help you work out how to transfer ownership. This guide to changing property ownership will help you determine which property ownership structure suits you best and how to move forward with a transfer of ownership.

If you need expert help navigating title changes and property ownership questions you should consider speaking to a conveyancer or solicitor. They can help you with issues related to ownership and property law.

Types of ownership structure

  • Outright ownership. You are the sole owner of the property. Your name alone is on the deed and you are responsible for the property. The property is likely to be owned in your own personal name.
  • Joint tenants. You own the property equally with someone else. Together you both have full ownership of the property. One joint tenant cannot pass their share onto another person when they die; it automatically passes instead to the other joint tenant.
  • Tenants in common. This is where 2 or more people own specified portions of the property. This can be a 50/50 split, or 70/30, or any other combination. Each owner has their own rights to their share and can sell it to others, or offer it in a will to someone else. The other tenants in common don't have an automatic right to the whole property.
  • Trust ownership. This is where the property is owned and managed by a trust, which is an entity that holds assets in trust on behalf of its beneficiaries. There are a number of trust types, although the most common are family trusts. These are useful for when property is being left to younger family members.
  • Company ownership. You can also own property through a company. Profits are liable to be taxed at business tax rates, which currently has a base rate of 25%, assuming the property is an investment.

Adding your partner's name to your house

Why change the property ownership?

There are many reasons people may want to change the ownership details of the property, ranging from a change in circumstance or situation all the way to gifting to a family member or inheritance. Below is a list of the most common reasons people have for changing property ownership:

  • Divorce. When you purchase a property as part of a relationship and that relationship breaks down you will want to make changes to the details of ownership.
  • Change ownership structure. You may have originally chosen an ownership structure that no longer is relevant for you and anyone you may own the property with.
  • Family reasons. The owner of the property may have become quite ill or unable to properly look after their own affairs and they have decided to pass the property onto a family member, or the owner may have died. All these situations would require that the family make changes to the ownership.
  • Change in circumstance. A property may have been purchased with the assistance of a friend or family member or as a joint purchase and now there has been a change in financial circumstance that allows one owner to buy the other out.
  • Gifting property to family. It's a very common scenario that family members want to transfer property to other family members, like a parent giving a home to their child.

How much does changing property ownership cost?

  • Stamp duty. Changing property ownership will incur stamp duty, which will be calculated based on the valuation of the land. Usually it is between 3% and 5.5%. In some states like Victoria, stamp duty can be waived. Find out more here.
  • Capital gains tax (CGT). Selling or transferring ownership may incur CGT. If the sale involves an investment property, then the seller will need to pay CGT. As a general rule, it is 25% of the capital gain. Read more about Capital Gains Tax.
  • Fees. When you sell or transfer the title of a property, you change the conditions of the mortgage, which may incur break fees. If you require a lawyer, there may also be legal fees and valuation fees.

Steps involved in changing property ownership

The steps involved in changing property ownerships vary depending on the type of property ownership, how you are changing it and whether it is under a mortgage. Below are some of the key steps involved.

1. Check the mortgage. If the property still has a home loan attached to it you will need to have the details of this on hand as they may also need to be adjusted depending on your reason for making a change to the property ownership.

2. Get a copy of the property title. You can contact your local state office that looks after land titles for a copy of the property's title as a reference for changing the details.

3. Fill out a property title transfer form. You can get this from your government agency that looks after land titles for the form/s required to change the property ownership. You can also ask them for instructions on how to properly fill this out. If you are in New South Wales, you can read our guide here.

4. Submit the title transfer form. Once you have completed the form with all relevant details you will need to submit it to your local state government land office that looks after property titles.

5. Pay the relevant fee. Any change of title or adjustment to property ownership will incur a fee to be paid to the relevant state government office.

6. Wait for the processing of the form. The relevant agency will process the form and if all is well will make the relevant adjustments to the ownership details held by the state.

If you have a mortgage still attached to the property you will need to notify your bank of the change to property ownership and they may ask you to alter your loan documents to match the property title details.

Beware of tax legislation

There are anti-tax avoidance rules that state you must have a valid reason for transferring the title of a property apart from tax benefits. Be sure you know your reason and be certain to document it.

Why you can trust Finder's home loan experts

We're free
You won't pay any more by taking out a home loan with us. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare loans.
expert advice
We're experts
We've researched and rated dozens of home loans as part of our Finder Awards. We provide unique insights and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.
We're independent
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by a third party. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home loan lenders, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
We're here to help
Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find a home loan by explaining the nitty gritty details simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

156 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    MatthewApril 24, 2024

    Hi, me and my partner are separated and divorcing soon. I will be buying her share in the house, putting the title under name only and obtaining mortgage. My mortgage brokers want to know the title transfer fee or any other fee I need to pay, so that they can consider that amount in my loan as well. could you please advise how much do I need to pay in Brisbane for title transfer and if there is any other sort of fee I need to consider?

    Default Gravatar
    MelindaOctober 14, 2023

    I’m currently on the property title of my parents house. This means that the three of us are on the title. Due differences in the family I would like to be removed from the title. Leaving the house in their name. I’ve been on the title in name only.
    Is this possible?

      AngusOctober 18, 2023Finder

      This sounds like a complex situation – you’ll need to consult a lawyer to have any adjustments made. Good luck!

    Default Gravatar
    KieranAugust 4, 2023

    I own my house but my marriage has ended. No I’ll feelings. All I want to do is put my wife’s name on the deed and if possible take mine off. Can you tell me the most simple way to go about this.

      RichardAugust 10, 2023Finder

      I suggest talking to a conveyancer to set this up. There may also be stamp duty payable if the name on the title is changing. There are exceptions for family members, however, and this may include marriage breakdown.

    Default Gravatar
    DallasJuly 25, 2023

    I was in a de facto relationship. My mothers home was sold to me very cheap by my brother who had acquired it through my mothers will. I payed the full amount myself, with no input from my de facto. It was the only house I owned and my principle place of residence. At the time, I was facing financial difficulties, and I wrongly feared that my bank had the ability to seize it and sell it if I were to file bankruptcy. So the property was put into my partners name. The relationship has ended and he has told me he is keeping my childhood home. I am no longer living there and he has remained in the house. The property is not worth a lot of money, so it’s only him being spiteful. Do I have any rights to the house or have I made a huge mistake?
    Thank you.

      RichardJuly 26, 2023Finder

      Please contact a lawyer for professional advice. I’m afraid we can’t really help you here.

    Default Gravatar
    DeniseJuly 7, 2023

    If you are reverting back to your maiden name, is it necessary to change your name on the title which is in your married name?

      RichardJuly 19, 2023Finder

      Hi Denise,

      Depending on where you live, you could use a change of name form to update the title. Check your state’s land titles office.

Go to site