Choose from 3 levels of cover and receive up to 80% cover for Veterinary bills with Medibank Pet Insurance
Your pet deserves the best medical attention you can afford when they become ill; however, pet care is expensive and without proper pet insurance, you may be forced to pay tens of thousands of dollars to cover the costs. Medibank offers pet health coverage that makes it possible for you to choose your own vet and get up to 80% coverage for all accidental injuries and illnesses.
Medibank Pet Insurance provides financial protection for sudden and unexpected accidental injuries or illnesses, as well as, coverage for all eligible vet expenses under three different insurance coverage, Bronze Paw Cover, for accidents only; Silver Paw Cover, for both accidents and illness; and Gold Paw cover, for accidents, illness and all optional routine care.
Medibank Pet Insurance provides a number of policy options for the budget conscious, as well as those individuals who don’t mind spending a little extra money on the additional cover features of insurance for their pets. Medibank Pet Insurance Policies include:
- Bronze Paw Cover –The budget conscious pet insurance option that provides coverage for accidental injuries only. Accidental injury cover is provided for pets 8 weeks and older and include coverage for:
- Snake bites toxicity
- Bite or fight wound abscesses
- Traumatic ligament or tendon injury or
- Abrasion or lacerations of tissue, mucous membrane or skin due to external violence.
- Silver Paw Cover – Includes coverage against accidents and illnesses. All pets are eligible for this cover however, pets older than 9 years old will not qualify for illness protection in the event that there was a break, lapse or change in the level of cover after reaching the age of 9.
- Gold Paw Cover – Is a combination of both the Bronze and Silver Paw Cover with a few additional benefits and features that will ensure your pet is always in the best health possible. The Gold Paw Cover includes optional routine and preventative care coverage for, but not limited to:
- Vaccinations or health check
- Teeth cleaning
- Heartworm preventative medication
- Cremation or burial
- Prescription diets
- Dewclaw removal; and
- Obedience training
|Bronze Paw CoverExcess Options||Accidental Injuries Only$8000 Annual benefits limit$300 Annual Limit/consultations & vet visitsNo excess, $100 or $2006 month waiting period/cruciate ligaments||10% Discount for Medibank members|
|Silver Paw CoverExcess Options||Accidents and Illness Only$12000 Annual benefit limit$300 Annual limit/consultation & vet visitsNo excess, $100 or $20030 day waiting period/illnesses6 months for cruciate ligaments||10% Discount for Medibank members|
|Gold Paw Cover Excess options||Accidental Injuries, Illnesses + Optional Routine care$15,000 Annual benefit limit$300 Annual limit/consultation & vet visits$165 annual limit/routine & preventative careNo excess, $100 or $20030 day waiting period for illnesses6 months for cruciate ligaments||10% Discount for Medibank members|
Along with the stated, included benefits, Medibank offers a number of additional benefits for your pet’s comfort and your peace of mind.
- Emergency Boarding – will pay for your pet’s emergency boarding if you are hospitalised for five or more consecutive days.
- Essential Euthanasia – pays for humane and essential pet euthanasia, treatment by a veterinarian.
- Paralysis Tick Benefit – pays the sub-limit shown on your Certificate Of Insurance for tick paralysis treatment.
- Pet Overseas Travel Insurance – pays for vet expenses while you are travelling in certain areas where Australian quarantine regulations don’t require your pet being quarantine when you return home.
To avoid confusions and general misunderstandings normally associated with insurance and filing a claim, you must be informed about the company’s general exclusions; things they will not pay for in the event they occur. The general exclusions that Mediabank Pet Insurance will not cover, unless otherwise stated on your policy, include, but are not limited to:
- Pre-existing Conditions – refer to any condition or symptoms of a condition occurring prior to the Commencement Date or during any applicable Waiting Period:
- Day-to-Day Care – for the following are not covered:
- Grooming and bathing
- Accessories such as: cage hire or pill poppers
- Prescription or dietary foods
- Preventative procedures or treatments
- Dental Care – for teeth cleaning, dental procedures, gingivitis, tooth fractures or removal of deciduous or fractured teeth or any oral disease.
- Certain Treatments and conditions such as those attributed:
- With behavioural problems
- Cell-replacement therapies
- Inconclusive diagnosis even if the treatment protocol is consistent with the treatment administered for Accidental injuries or Illnesses and
- With a decision to pursue a treatment that was not recommended by your veterinarian.
- Elective procedures and treatments – such as cosmetic procedures; routine examinations; cryptorchidism; and debarking.
You never know the quality insurance you have, until it’s time to make a claim. It can take months to find the proper channels and file a claim which pays out; however, to avoid some of the complications associated with filing a claim, to file your claim with Medibank, follow these four steps below for a smooth claim process:
- You must first complete and sign the claim form found on the medibank website. All claims must be submitted in writing and if it’s your first time filing a claim, submit the form with
- A full veterinary history must also be submitted if it is the first claim you’re filing within the first six months of your cover.
- All original, itemised tax invoices, receipts and consultation notes must be submitted with your claim form.
- The form must be signed by both you and your vet.
Medibank Pet Insurance is the optimal choice for pet insurance coverage. Choosing Medibank as your insurance provider, automatically provides a 10% discount on your policy and with up to 80% back on all eligible vet bills, Medibank is one of the top Pet Insurance providers in Australia. Your pet medical expenses can be as little as $244 for a simple ear infection or as much as a whopping $13,000 for multiple fractures; therefore, to avoid paying this as out of pocket expenses, Medibank offers protection for:
- After-hours emergency
- Prescription medications and drugs
- Laboratory and diagnostic tests
- Emergency boarding
- Cruciate ligament surgery
- Vet consultations
- Surgery and
- Specialist care
So, why choose Medibank? The answer is simple, their Pet Insurance Policies provide protection against various health issues; hereditary or congenital diseases; vet or specialist treatments; and optional benefits for routine and preventative care. They are also a trusted provider that has been in the business for years.
Q. Will I need to provide a full medical history in order for me to get pet insurance?
A. No, there is no need to provide a full medical report for your pet in order for you to get a Medibank Pet Insurance; however, when you are filing your first claim, a full veterinary history must accompany your claim form.
Q. What type of pets does Medibank insure?
A. Medibank only provides insurance for cats and dogs; however, they don’t insure pets used for commercial purposes, such as dogs working on rural properties; neither do they provide insurance protection for breeds listed as dangerous by your state or territory.
Q. What are the accidents covered under the Accidental Injury only policy?
A. The Accidental Injury policy provides coverage for a wide range of accidental injuries caused by any of the following:
- Motor vehicle incidents
- Allergic reaction to insect bites, other than bites from tick or flea or
- Burn or electrocution
The Accidental Injury cover only policy will cover accidents that result in the following injuries:
- Snake bites toxicity
- Bone fractures
- Laceration or abrasion of tissue, sin or mucous membrane caused by violence; and
- Bite or fight wound abscesses
Q. Do you cover more than one pet per household?
A. If you have more than one pet and require insurance protection for all of them, each pet will have their own policy with their own individual excess options and cover choices. There is, however, a multi-pet discount of 5% when you insure more than one pet with Medibank Pet Insurance.
Q. What options do I have for paying my premium?
A. Premium payments can be made by direct debit or with the use of a credit card; either fortnightly, monthly or annually.
Q. Does Medibank have assigned vets, or can I use any veterinarian I choose?
A. No, Medibank does not assign any specific vet to anyone pet. You have to option to take your pet to any veterinarian in Australia.
Q. Do you provide coverage for hereditary or congenital defects?
A. Yes, your pet will be covered for hereditary or congenital defects if there are no clinical signs or symptoms prior to you taking out your Medibank Pet Insurance.
Q. What are the specific Waiting Periods that apply?
A. There is a 30 day waiting period for conditions covered under the Illness and tick paralysis section and a 6 months Waiting period for cruciate ligament conditions.
Q. Is there anything that won’t be covered under my policy?
A. All insurance policies have what is known as exclusions built into each policy. These exclusions or benefit limits help to keep your insurance premiums manageable and affordable. Some exclusions that Medibank will not cover include, but aren’t limited to:
- Pet foods
- Elective procedures; and
- Preexisting conditions and grooming
For a comprehensive list of what isn’t covered under your insurance policy, read the Combined Product Disclosure Statement and Financial Services Guide.
Q. How soon does my Pet Insurance policy become active?
A. Your policy becomes active at midnight on the day your application is accepted. Once your application is active, you can make a claim after the commencement date.
Q. Am I covered for third party liability?
A. No, Medibank does not provide coverage for Third Party Liability; however, your domestic contents insurance should provide this coverage.