Optus adds iView and Stan to its data-free streaming list
Optus customers can now stream iView and Stan to their heart’s content without racking up excess data usage fees.
Mobile video streaming is a key differentiator for many premium priced telcos. Optus has been remarkably busy in this area of late, announcing last week that it was adding cricket coverage to its Optus Sports channel with no additional data charges along with its existing deal that sees eligible plans able to watch standard definition Netflix and Presto without incurring excess data charges.
Optus is once again on the attack in this area, announcing today that it’s adding content streamed through Stan and ABC’s iView to the data-free streaming crowd for eligible Optus plans. The deal includes ABC’s iView and iView kids apps, but it’s limited to viewing on mobile devices. If you stream to your mobile and then use Google Cast or Apple Airplay up to a larger screen, you'll incur data charges for your watching session.
If you’re an Optus customer but not on an eligible Optus plan, you can opt to add data-free mobile streaming to your account at a cost of $10 per month. That’s quite a fair deal when you consider that excess data on plans typically costs $10, and that would account for a single hour’s worth of average streaming. If the deal appeals to you, it’s fair to guess you’d do more than an hour’s worth of streaming per month.
- Gem Finder: Happy! Is the most bonkers show you’ll binge this year
- It’s going to be all right: Foxtel confirms Arrested Development Season 5 is coming later this month
- Stan on Qantas: Romper Stomper, No Activity and other originals incoming
- Chromecast Ultra review: Google’s simple streaming solution
- View Finder: Thinking of heading to the movies? Deux it