Mazda3 car loans
Learn all you need to know about getting a loan to buy one of the nation's favourite hatchbacks.
The Mazda3 is a premium feeling, well-built, elegantly-styled hatch.
Consistently high sales have proven the findings of motoring journalists, who described the Mazda3 as having a great spec, a pleasing level of safety tech and a modern design aesthetic. In the battle of the hatches, it's up there with the Toyota Corolla and the Hyundai i30.
Here's everything you need to know about applying for a competitive car loan for a Mazda3.
Mazda3: Specs and pricing
In Australia, Mazda offers customers six grades for the Mazda3 as well as two body styles. Prices range from $28,888 for the introductory G20 Pure (like Toyota's Corolla, there's no price difference between hatch and sedan models), topping out with the G25 Astina at $41,758.
Mazda equips Australian models with either a 2.0-litre or 2.5-litre Skyactiv-G petrol engine. This line of combustion engines set a mass production landmark, having the highest compression ratio to date. The benefits are a 15% improvement in fuel economy and torque. Next year, Mazda plans to trump this version with the Skyactiv X.
Across the Mazda3 stable, buyers can choose either a six-speed manual or an automatic transmission.
Mazda3 G20 Pure
Kicking things off, the G20 Pure sets a high benchmark for entry models. For just $28,888, you get the following:
- 16-inch alloys
- Halogen daytime running lights
- LED headlamps (with auto on/off)
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Active driving display (head-up display)
- A/C (standard)
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC)
- 7-inch multi-information display
- All-round power windows (one-touch up/down)
- Cloth seats
- DAB+ radio
- 8-speaker audio system
- Bluetooth phone connectivity
- Keyless starting
- 8.8-inch infotainment widescreen
- Sat nav
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Power folding exterior mirrors and electric adjustment
- Rear spoiler
- iPod compatible USB input
Where the 3 really seems to excel is with its abundant safety assists, which no doubt helped it to achieve a five-star ANCAP crash rating. The following are included as standard:
- 7 airbags
- Driver attention alert
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Forward obstruction warning (FOW)
- High beam control
- Intelligent speed assistance
- Lane departure warning
- Lane-keep assist system (LAS)
- Rear parking sensors
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Reverse camera
- Smart brake support (forward, with pedestrian and cycle detection) and reverse
- Smart brake support (rear crossing) (SBS-RC)
- Smart city brake support (SCBS) (forward, with pedestrian and cycle detection) and reverse
- Traffic sign recognition
- Emergency stop signal
- Tyre pressure monitoring
Mazda3 G20 Evolve
Moving up a notch, we arrive at the G20 Evolve, which has a drive-away price of $30,649.
In addition to the Pure spec, you'll also receive the following:
- Metallic grey 18-inch alloys
- A/C dual-zone climate control, with rear vents
- Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
- Leather-wrapped gear shift knob and steering wheel
- Rear seats have a centre fold-down armrest
- Autos have paddle shifters for gears
Mazda3 G20 Touring
If you have $33,518, you can afford the G20 Touring. This model adds extra passenger comforts such as the following:
- Advanced keyless entry
- Auto-dimming exterior mirrors (on driver's side)
- Exterior mirrors with reverse tilt-down function
- Position memory on wing mirrors
- Overhead sunglass storage pocket
- Black leather seat upholstery
- 10-way power-adjustable driver's seat with lumbar adjustment and two-position memory
- Front illuminated vanity mirrors
Mazda3 G25 Evolve
Mazda sells the G25 Evolve with a drive-away cost from $34,044. This is the first of the 2.5-litre Mazda3s, so you have a little more get up and go under your right foot.
Highlights, in addition to the Touring spec, include the following:
- Cylinder deactivation
- More powerful and torquey 2.5-litre Skyactiv-G engine
Mazda3 G25 GT
What do you get for the $37,643 Mazda asks for the G25 GT?
- Heated exterior mirrors
- Heated front seats
- 12-speaker, premium sound system from Bose
- Heated steering wheel
Mazda3 G25 Astina
The premium G25 Astina sells from $41,758. This model is fully decked out and stand-out inclusions include the following:
- 18-inch black alloys
- 360° surround-view monitor
- Adaptive LED headlights
- Cruising and traffic support
- Driver monitor
- Front cross-traffic alert
- Front parking sensors
- Glass sunroof with power tilt and slide
- Black leather or optional Burgundy
Why buy a Mazda3?
Hatchbacks are a really popular car and the market is competitive. Why, then, should you buy the Mazda3 over the slightly more popular Toyota Corolla or its close rival, the Hyundai i30?
- The Mazda3 looks cutting edge.
- It has one of the most impressive equipment lists of any hatch.
- It's reportedly great to drive, with responsive handling.
- Reviewers say it's quiet in the cabin.
- Motoring experts said it felt like a very high-quality vehicle.
How to pick a great car loan
Here's how to quickly evaluate a car loan offer:
- Does it have a low interest rate?
- Are there any application fees?
- Do you have to pay a monthly fee
- Are the monthly repayments affordable?
- Do you have some payment flexibility? Can you pay back the loan early or pay extra one month?
Generally, you'll want to look for a lower interest rate figure, small (or even zero) application fees, minimal or no monthly charges, monthly payments that sit comfortably in your budget and some leeway to overpay as desired.
How to compare car loans for the Mazda3
There are a lot of car finance options out there, here we're focussing on secured and unsecured car loans.
Secured car loan
Comparing secured car loans, you'll note that they tend to have more attractive rates attached to them. This is because the lender registers a legal interest in your vehicle. That way, should you default on your loan, they can recover their losses (taking back the car). Because of this reduced risk assessment, they can offer loans with more competitive rates. The downside is, you are typically restricted with what the funds can be used for, so it's unlikely you can borrow extra to cover insurance or modifications after purchasing.
Unsecured car loan
If you find yourself in a situation where you'd like to take out a loan for the purchase of a car, but also to cover other related costs, check out an unsecured car loan. The interest rates will be slightly higher as loan lenders don't hold your car as security against the loan. On the plus side though, you have more freedom in deciding what you'll use the funds for.
Don't forget to calculate the true cost of a loan, you'll need to include things like the application fee and monthly account charges as well as interest.
How to use our car loan comparison tool
If you're thinking about taking out a loan for the Mazda3, here's what you need to do. Find the price of the model you're most interested in, we've listed the current drive-away prices (as of December 2019) on this page. Then, put that number into the loan tool, select the number of years you'd like to borrow the money over and you're done! All available loans will appear.
If you find that the monthly repayment is out of your budget, play around with the term length. Paying the money back over a longer period results in breaking the cost of a car into smaller chunks. A three-year loan is roughly twice as much per month as a car loan taken over six years. Note, however, you will pay more in interest, so the arrangement will technically cost you more.
Is all this talk of numbers and figures taking you back to high school maths class? Scratching your head? Our simple car loans guide will fill you in on the ins and outs of car loans, without the confusing jargon. After reading that, you'll be a car loan pro!
Mazda3 loans comparison table
Recent car reviews
- Jaguar F-type Chequered flag edition review: hands-on
- Mazda CX-30 Review
- Mazda CX-5 GT Turbo Review: Hands-on
- 2020 Audi RS6 Avant review
- Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe
Car Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate of 5.45% p.a.
A low minimum borrowing amount of $2,000 that you can use to purchase a new car or one up to two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 5.29% p.a.
Take advantage of a competitive rate, pre-approval and no early repayment fees when you finance a car under two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate from 5.69% p.a.
A larger loan of $5,000 or more to help you buy a new or used car. 5-hour pre approval available and no ongoing fees.
You'll receive a fixed or variable rate depending on the lender you are approved with
Apply for up to $250,000 and use cash or trade in a vehicle to use as a deposit. Optional balloon payment available.
Ask an Expert