We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Asteron Life income protection: Our verdict
- It's one of the few insurers to offer unemployment benefits — it waives premiums in the event of involuntary unemployment.
- Policies purchased through a financial advisor have a 96.5% claims acceptance rate, the highest of 11 brands tracked on MoneySmart, the Australian government's consumer site.
- It's good if you're after a cheaper policy - our research suggests Asteron is at the lower end in terms of price for a 35 year old male.
- It comes with a super save option that lets you insure up to 80% of your income — that's 5% more than most insurers. However, you need to pay extra for it.
- There is a policy fee on top of the premium you pay.
Read a more detailed review on:
Key points of Asteron Life income protection options
- Income Protection Plus Cover. Asteron's most comprehensive cover option.
- Income Protection Cover. Cover available for a whole range of applicants and also available through superannuation.
- Income Protection Accident Only Cover. Basic protection that only covers accidental injuries.
Key standard features of Asteron Life income policies
When you take out a Life insurance policy, you also have the option to add on the following:
- 24-hour worldwide cover
- Three-tier total disability
- Partially disabled benefit
- Death benefit
- Recurring disability
- Benefits against blood-born diseases like HIV, hepatitis B and C for medical professional occupation classes
- Partial payments for when you're earning reduced income
- Elective Surgery benefit
- Premiums waived for six months for women who are pregnant
- Built-in claims indexation, making sure your benefit increases in line with inflation
- Flexible cover that you can increase without further medical checks if your situation changes (pregnancy or applying for a mortgage)
Note: Be sure to check the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for terms and conditions.
Additional add ons
- Booster Option. This kicks up your Income Protection payments by a third the first three months when you file a claim.
- Day 1 Accident Option. In the case of a serious accident, this option ensures that you receive the total monthly benefit during the waiting period.
- SuperSaver Option. This option allows you to insure up to 80% of your income.
- Child Cover. This insures your child against certain medical conditions like cancer meningitis.
Still wondering if Asteron is right for you? Here are the main pros and cons summarised:
- It offers unemployment benefits.
- It has a high claims acceptance rate.
- Its comes with lots of options.
- You need to pay extra for the super save option.
- It can cost more to pay premiums monthly.
How do I make a Asteron Life income protection claim?
To make an Asteron life income protection claim, you need to:
- Provide an initial claims form. Both you and your treating doctor have sections to complete.
- Include supporting documentation. You'll be asked to supply copies of medical reports and investigations conducted. You may also be asked to supply financial documents and/or tax returns.
What are some of the key exclusions of Asteron Life income protection?
There are certain circumstances in which the policy won't pay out. It's important to be aware of these general exclusions before signing to purchase the policy. You will not be eligible for benefits in the event of the following:
- war or an act of war
- self-inflicted harm
- voluntary participation in criminal activity
- pregnancy, miscarriage or childbirth except in the case of your disability persisting for more than 90 days
Read the PDS for more information on the general exclusions that apply to your policy.
Compare other direct life insurance policies below
More guides on Finder
Your comprehensive guide to getting trailer insurance for caravans, mobile homes and box trailers.
Lowest home loan rates
Learn how to look for the cheapest home loans and how to pick them out from a broad selection on offer.
Rent default and loss of rent are 2 different features of landlord insurance you might need.
5 things you must know about cruise travel insurance
Learn the key facts on what is – and isn't – covered by cruise travel insurance.
Life insurance & mental health: Your questions answered
What is and isn’t covered by life insurance when it comes to mental health, answered by financial and health experts.
Polestar 2 vs Hyundai IONIQ 5
Which EV should you buy? The Polestar 2 or the Hyundai IONIQ 5?
Why are women charged more than men for income protection?
Financial literacy advocate Pascale Helyar-Moray on what women do to avoid losing out to higher costs.
3 reasons I ditched my life insurance as a first home buyer
Why did Finder's insurance expert drop his cover before the ink dried on his mortgage papers?
Travel insurance and COVID cover: Your top questions answered
What is and isn’t covered by travel insurance when it comes to COVID.
Luno review 2022
Finder’s Luno review covers everything you need to know before signing up. Find info on fees, registration, cryptocurrencies on offer and more.
Ask an Expert