We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
- It's one of the few insurers to offer unemployment benefits — it waives premiums in the event of involuntary unemployment.
- Policies purchased through a financial advisor have a 96.5% claims acceptance rate, the highest of 11 brands tracked on MoneySmart, the Australian government's consumer site.
- It comes with a super save option that lets you insure up to 80% of your income — that's 5% more than most insurers. However, you need to pay extra for it.
Review by our insurance writer Gary Hunter
Asteron Life has been offering insurance to Australians for over 175 years and currently offers three income protection covers: Income Protection Plus, Income Protection Cover and Income Protection – Accident Only Cover.
- Income Protection Plus Cover - Asteron's most basic cover
- Income Protection Cover - Cover available for a whole range of applicants, also available through superannuation
- Income Protection Accident Only Cover - Basic cover to just cover accidental injuries
Asteron income protection at a glance
|Maximum monthly benefit||$60,000 (Up to 75% of your monthly income)|
|Age of entry||18 - 62 for income protection|
|Type of policies offered by Asteron Income Protection|
|How much can I expect to pay?||For an annual income of $75,000:|
|How do I apply?||With an adviser over the phone|
Based on Asteron Life Complete Income Protection insurance. Age of entry varies with the type of premium you choose. Costs are an estimate based on a male, non-smoking office worker and was taken out on April 2019 using Finder's quote engine. Cost is subject to change at anytime.
Based on Asteron Life Complete Income Protection insurance. Information last checked on April 2019. Always consult the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
This cover might be suitable if:
- Cover with a lot of build in benefits e.g. death benefit, access to rehabilitation services
- You want a higher percentage of income covered - there's an option to go from 75% to 80%
- You'd like to get tailored cover with the help of an adviser
- You are after a cheaper policy - our research suggests Asteron is at the lower end in terms of price for a 35 year old male.
Don't get this cover if:
- You are over 62 years old
Based on Asteron Life Complete Income Protection insurance.Information last checked on April 2019. Always consult the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).
Note: The following is based on the Life Insurer Asteron Life & Superannuation Limited. Asteron Life & Superannuation Limited is the insurer behind brands like Asteron Income Protection.
|Claims data||Asteron||Industry Average|
|Average claim time (months)||1.40||1.60|
|Claim disputes (per 100,000 lives insured)||110.1||129.9|
We looked at APRA data for claims over 2017-2018. The statistics above reflect 'income protection' claims.
find out more about asteron life income protection
What does the Asteron Life Income Protection cover?
Asteron Life Income Protection Cover provides compensation when you’re unable to work. In essence, it replaces the income you’d ordinarily earn if you weren’t incapacitated because of illness or injury. The built-in features of this policy include:
- 24-hour worldwide cover
- Three-tier total disability
- Partially disabled benefit
- Death benefit
- Recurring disability
- Benefits against blood-born diseases like HIV, hepatitis B and C for medical professional occupation classes
- Partial payments for when you’re earning reduced income
- Elective Surgery benefit
- Premiums waived for six months for women who are pregnant
- Built-in claims indexation, making sure your benefit increases in line with inflation
- Flexible cover that you can increase without further medical checks if your situation changes (pregnancy or applying for a mortgage)
- Access to support services like rehabilitation and returning to work
|Benefit type||Income Protection Plus Cover||Income Protection Cover||Income Protection - Accident Only Cover|
|Totally Disable Benefit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Partially Disabled Benefit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Death Benefit||6 times||3 times||3 times|
|Premium Waiver Benefit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Premium and Cover Suspension Benefit||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pregnancy Premium Waiver||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Waiting Period Conversion||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Temporary Extended Waiting Period||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Elective Surgery Benefit||Yes||Yes||No|
|Specific Injury Benefit||Yes||o||No|
|Overseas Assist Benefit||Yes||o||No|
|Bed Confinement Benefit||Yes||o||No|
|Family Assist Benefit||Yes||o||No|
|Childcare Reimbursement Benefit||Yes||o||No|
|Day 1 Accident Option||o||o||o|
|Split Income Protection Option||o||o||No|
o Optional additional benefits that can be applied for at an additional cost.
Asteron Life Income Protection Additional Options to Consider
Besides the built-in benefits that come standard with the life income policy, you also have access to additional options. Not only do they upgrade your policy, but they also help tailor it to suit your specific needs. These include:
- Booster Option. This kicks up your Income Protection payments by a third the first three months when you file a claim.
- Day 1 Accident Option. In the case of a serious accident, this option ensures that you receive the total monthly benefit during the waiting period.
- SuperSaver Option. This option allows you to insure up to 80% of your income.
- Child Cover. This insures your child against certain medical conditions like cancer meningitis.
How Much Will Cover cost?
The amount you pay in premiums and the level of cover you are granted are calculated based on the level of risk you represent. Factors like your physical health, whether or not you smoke, age, gender and occupation are taken into account. Depending on your insurance needs and your budget, you can choose the premium structure that suits you best.
- These premiums don’t change until your 65th or 70th birthday (you can choose which) unless you change certain details about the policy. After the 65th or 70th birthday, the premium automatically converts to the Stepped option.
- This policy is recalculated on every policy anniversary based on the standard premium as well as factors like your age, whether or not you smoke, the amount for which you’re insured and your age on your next birthday.
- You can apply for a Mixed policy that combines the Stepped option with either up-to-65-years or up-to-70-years premium.
When Will I Actually Be Paid?
If you need to claim from your income protection policy, here’s what you need to do to get the process started.
- Provide an initial claims form. Both you and your treating doctor have sections to complete.
- Include supporting documentation. You’ll be asked to supply copies of medical reports and investigations conducted. You may also be asked to supply financial documents and/or tax returns.
What is the age of eligibility for Asteron Life Income Protection ?
The minimum entry ages for life income protection is as follow:
- Stepped: 18 to 62 years
- Level: 18 to 60 years
Exclusions To Be Aware Of
There are certain circumstances in which the policy won’t pay out. It’s important to be aware of these general exclusions before signing to purchase the policy. You will not be eligible for benefits in the event of the following:
- war or an act of war
- self-inflicted harm
- voluntary participation in criminal activity
- pregnancy, miscarriage or childbirth except in the case of your disability persisting for more than 90 days
Asteron Income Cover F.A.Q
Still unsure about a few things? Some other questions you might have about your policy...
Ready to receive a quote for Asteron Income Protection?
If you are interested in receiving a quote for Asteron Income Protection, you can make a secure enquiry via the enquiry form located above. An insurance consultant will contact you to discuss you to provide you with a quote based on your details and discuss any policy features you are not sure of. If you are still interested in taking out cover, a consultant will help you submit your policy application.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $90.95 off Nintendo Switch with Amazon Prime
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Mobile plans are now more expensive, but here’s a hack to save $200 a year
Telstra, Optus and Vodafone keep raising their prices even as the rest of the market is more affordable than ever.
Ask an Expert