From flights and grocery shopping to exchanging money, here are 22 ways you can earn Qantas Frequent Flyer Points faster.
Qantas Points open up a world of rewards, from flight redemptions and seat upgrades to merchandise from the Qantas Store. While it's easy to think of how you'd use Qantas Points, it can be hard to find ways to earn them. The good news is the Qantas Frequent Flyer program has a range of partners that allow you to earn points for all kinds of everyday spending.
So if you're stuck in a rut when it comes to earning Qantas Points, here we look at 22 simple ways you can boost your frequent flyer account balance and get those rewards faster.
22 ways to earn more Qantas Points
1. Earning points on flights
You can get points and Status Credits for flights with Qantas, oneworld alliance partners and other partner airlines. Qantas offers a base rate for point earnings that is determined by your flight details, including departure and arrival locations, fare class and the airline that you fly with.
A key detail to keep in mind is that the minimum points earned are higher for flights with Qantas or Jetstar when compared to the base rates offered for other carriers. For example, a Discount Economy fare for a flight with Qantas from Sydney to Los Angeles would get a minimum of 4,500 points, while the same journey on a Premium Economy fare would earn 11,250 points. In contrast, if you booked this flight with a oneworld airline partner such as British Airways, you would get a minimum 1,875 points for the Discount Economy fare and 8,250 points for the Premium Economy fare.
Keep in mind that these are the base rates, and the total number of points you earn depends on a range of factors. To find out more about how many points you can earn on every eligible flight, check out the sections below:
2. Earn points for accommodation
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program has over 188,000 accommodation options available around the world, from five-star hotels and boutiques to rooms or whole houses listed on Airbnb. Whatever your budget and tastes, here are the four key ways you can earn Qantas Points when you book your accommodation.
- Qantas Hotels bookings. You can earn 3 points per $1 spent on hotel bookings made through Qantas Hotels, an online service that also offers no booking fees.
- Partner hotel rewards programs. Earn up to 3 points per $1 spent or up to 1,000 points per booking by linking your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership to a partner hotel rewards programs such as Hilton Honors or Marriot Rewards.
- Direct bookings with hotels. Many hotels around the world offer Qantas Points for direct bookings, including those in the Hyatt, Marriot and InterContinental Hotels portfolios. Point rates vary, but all you have to do is ask hotel staff if you’re able to do this when you book, and then show your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card when you check out.
- Airbnb. If living like a local is more your style when travelling, you can make the most of it by earning 1 Qantas Point per AUD$1 spent on Airbnb bookings made through qantas.com.
As well as these standard options, accommodation partners may also have promotions that you can take advantage of, such as discounts or extra Qantas Points.
3. Earn points with Vodafone
Sign up for a MyMix Red Global mobile phone plan with Vodafone and you can earn between 6,000 and 20,000 bonus Qantas Points. You can choose between an $80, $100 and $120 phone plan on a 24-month contract, or a 12-month SIM-only plan. Use the following steps to sign up and claim these points:
- Go to the Qantas Points Vodafone webpage (www.qantaspoints.com/earn-points/vodafone).
- Browse the phone plans.
- Click on the plan you want and follow the prompts to complete your purchase.
Points will be credited within 30 days of form submission. Note that the current bonus point offer is only available until 31 December 2016.
4. Earn by spending at Woolworths
If you’re a member of the current Woolworths Rewards program, you can opt to automatically have your Woolworths Points converted to Qantas Points. Once you link your accounts and choose the Qantas Points option, you'll get 870 frequent flyer points for every 2,000 Woolworths Points in your account.
With 1 Woolworths Point earned per $1 spent in-store and online at Woolworths supermarkets and BWS, this works out to be around 0.43 Qantas Points per $1 spent. Qantas Points will first be credited to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account on 15 December 2016, and then every three months after that date.
5. Earn points for online shopping
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program has its own Online Mall where you can earn points for purchases made at a wide range of retail partners including David Jones, eBay, Net-A-Porter, Apple and Sephora. To earn points:
- Go to the Online Mall and log in with your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership details.
- Browse the stores available and click on the one you want to shop with. You will then be taken to a page for the store, with details of how many points you can earn.
- Click the “Shop now” button. You’ll then be redirected to the store’s website, with a special URL so you can earn Qantas Points.
- Select and purchase your items.
Earning Qantas Points on an iPad
Jamila is saving up Qantas Points for a holiday and wants to buy a new iPad, so she decides to order it through the Qantas Online Mall. She goes to the website, logs in and selects Apple.com from the list of stores. The Apple page on the Online Mall informs her that she will earn 2 points per $1 spent.
Jamila clicks “Shop Now” and is taken to the Apple website. She browses the iPads available and selects an iPad Air for $759, earning her 1,518 Qantas Points.
6. Earn points when you buy movie vouchers
Book movie vouchers through the Qantas Frequent Flyer website and you’ll earn 2 points per $1 spent. Vouchers can be used at participating cinemas around Australia, including HOYTS, Event Cinemas and many independents.
Just go to the movies.qantaspoints.com website, browse participating cinemas and follow the prompts to buy your vouchers. Note that Qantas requires a minimum purchase of four vouchers per transaction. There is also a maximum purchase of 10 vouchers in a 24-hour period.
7. Use a Qantas Frequent Flyer Credit Card to earn points
You can earn points directly on your everyday spending using a Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card. Many of these cards also offer introductory bonus points when you sign up during the promotional period and spend a specific amount of money on the card during the first few months.
If you use a Qantas credit card to purchase items from another Qantas Frequent Flyer partner, you will also earn points twice – once from using your credit card and once from shopping with the partner. Just make sure you compare a range of frequent flyer cards and consider the potential costs to make sure you find one that suits your budget and needs.
Offer ends 31 October 2018 Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply A frequent flyer card that features bonus points, a first year annual fee waiver and complimentary insurance covers.
Receive up to 40,000 bonus Qantas points
Qantas Money Credit Card Offer
Offer ends 31 October 2018
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
A frequent flyer card that features bonus points, a first year annual fee waiver and complimentary insurance covers.
Qantas Frequent Flyer Credit Cards Comparison
8. Qantas transaction and saving accounts
Qantas Frequent Flyer banking partners Bankwest and Qudos Bank allow you to earn points on select transaction and savings accounts with the following products:
- Bankwest Qantas transaction account. This everyday account offers 5 Qantas Points on eligible purchases made with the Bankwest Qantas Debit Mastercard and 12 points for every $100 in your bank account each month. For example, if you have a balance of $1,000, you would get 120 points. It also offers 5 points for overseas ATM withdrawals, although foreign transaction fees may apply.
- Qudos Bank Qantas Points Saver account. Previously known as Qantas Credit Union, Qudos Bank currently provides the only savings account that earns Qantas Points on your balance. This account offers 400 points for every $1,000 on your average monthly balance per annum. Balances can be up to $1 million, and there is no account fees or application fees.
Just remember to compare a range of bank accounts before choosing one that earns Qantas Points so that you can find the right option for your needs.
9. Earn Qantas Points per $1 spent with the Qantas Travel Money
The Qantas Travel Money card allows you to load and use up to 11 currencies when you go overseas or shop online. It earns 1.5 points per $1 spent overseas and 0.25 points per $1 spent in Australia. The card also doubles as your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card.
Once you have a Qantas Travel Money card, you can activate it online and load money onto it in Australian dollars. You can then transfer this money to any of the 10 other currencies on the card to lock in an exchange rate before you go overseas. If you’re not planning on travelling any time soon though, you could also choose to load Aussie dollars on the card and use it for everyday transactions so you can earn Qantas Points for your spending without a credit card.
10. Earn points on duty free shopping when you fly
Qantas gives you the opportunity to shop duty free and earn points while you’re flying, with the In Sky Shopping service that’s available on selected Qantas flights. You can pre-order from an extended range of products online, or look for the In Sky Shopping catalogue in your seat pocket and order from your flight attendant. You’ll earn 1 point per $1 spent when you show your Qantas membership card or tell your flight attendant your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number.
11. Earn Qantas Points for real estate purchases and management
Qantas Frequent Flyer has partnered with the following two property companies to offer points for purchases, investments and property management:
- LK Property. Earn 1 point per $1 spent when you purchase an eligible property through an accredited agent of LK Property Group.
- LJ Hooker. Earn 20,000 points when you list and sell your residential, commercial or industrial property in Australia or New Zealand. You can also earn 10,000 points if you appoint LJ Hooker as your exclusive property management agent for a residential property in Australia and your property is leased.
Boosting Qantas Points with property
Avi is in the market for an investment property in Brisbane. He also wants to earn more Qantas Points for a trip he’s planning to London next year.
After browsing a range of investment property options, Avi finds one he likes with LK Property Group, costing $600,000. After purchasing the property, he decides to appoint LJ Hooker as his exclusive property management agent. The property is leased within a month, earning Avi 10,000 Qantas points.
LK Property points: 600,000
LJ Hooker points: 10,000
With these points in his Qantas Frequent Flyer account, Avi can fly return from Brisbane to London in First Class (384,000 points). He would also have 226,000 Qantas Points remaining for flights or other redemptions in the future.
12. Choose a car loan or home loan that offers Qantas Points
Macquarie Bank has partnered with Qantas to offer both a car loan and a home loan that earn points in different ways. We’ve outlined the point details of each below:
This home loan account offers three ways to earn Qantas Points:
- 10,000 Qantas Points for every $100,000 drawn down at settlement
- 1,000 Qantas Points each month for the life of your loan (as long as your outstanding loan balance is at least $150,000)
- 25,000 bonus Qantas Points on the third and fifth anniversaries of your loan, calculated from the day of settlement (as long as the outstanding loan balance is at least $150,000)
To give you an idea of the total points potential of this account, you could earn 160,000 Qantas Points over 5 years if you had a $500,000 home loan.
Get 1 point for every $1 financed up to a maximum of $100,000 for each contract with a Macquarie Bank car loan. For example, if you wanted to buy a new car for $30,000 and got all of that financed through this loan, you would get 30,000 Qantas Points.
13. Cruise holidays that allow you to earn Qantas Points
Qantas offers 1 point per $1 when you use its cruise booking service online. Powered by CruiseGuru.com.au, Qantas Cruises has over 10,000 cruise itineraries, 17 international cruise lines and 162 ships. Partners include P&O Cruises, Royal Caribbean International and Carnival Cruise lines.
You can also earn 1 point per $1.50 you spend when you book a cruise through one of Cruiseco's travel agents who specialise in cruises. Cruiseco has a range of hot deals, port and cruise information and exclusive cruise charters available all around the world.
14. Get Qantas Points when exchanging foreign currency
You can earn Qantas Points when you buy foreign currency with Qantas Travel Money online, or when you buy or sell foreign exchange or buy a Foreign Currency Cash Passport at a Travelex outlet in Australia or New Zealand. Qantas Point are awarded at the following rates:
- AUD$50 to AUD$299: Earn 1 point for every $5 of value
- AUD$300 to AUD$999: Earn 1 point for every $3 of value
- AUS$1,000 to AUD$10,000: Earn 1 point for every $1 of value
15. Earn Qantas Points on a ski holiday
You can earn points when you book selected Skimax Qantas flights, ski packages and accommodation. Skimax offers packages to all the major skiing destinations, including:
- New South Wales and Victoria ski resorts in Australia
- Queenstown, Mt Hutt and Wanaka in New Zealand
- British Columbia and Alberta in Canada
- Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and California in the United States
- France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy in Europe
- Niseko, Hakuba, Shiga Kogen, Rusutsu and Furano in Japan
- Argentina and Chile in South America
- Yongpyong in South Korea
You can earn 2,000 points on packages to Japan, Canada, USA, Europe and South America, and 1,000 points on packages to Australia and New Zealand. You will also earn points on eligible Qantas flights to your destination.
16. Earn Qantas Points for your travel insurance
QBE Insurance offers a wide range of travel insurance options to suit the differing needs of each traveller. You can enjoy a number of benefits when you order travel insurance from QBE:
- 1 point per dollar spent on QBE Insurance, excluding Australian Cancellation and Baggage insurance.
- An extra 1,000 Qantas Point when you buy an Annual Multi Trip insurance policy.
- Reinstatement of Qantas Points lost because of cancellation or amendment, for any reason covered by the insurance policy
17. Earn points on your travel car hire
You can earn Qantas Points for rental vehicles hired through Avis or Budget both in Australian and overseas.
- Points in Australia. Get 4 points for every $1 value on eligible time and kilometre charges on car hire from Avis or Budget.
- Points overseas. Get 700 Qantas Points per eligible rental with Avis or Budget.
To earn points, just make sure you include your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number on the booking.
18. Magazine and newspaper subscriptions
Buy your favourite magazines and newspapers through online service isubscribe.com.au and you’ll earn 4 points per $1 spent. All you have to do is enter your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number during the checkout when placing your order.
isubscribe.com.au offers over 2,500 titles and a wide range of subscription options to choose from. Some examples of the points you could earn are included in the table below (in order of least to most points earned):
|Title||Subscription||isubscribe Cost||Qantas Points earned|
|Marie Claire||12 months||$74||296|
|The Australian||6 months (weekend delivery)||$91||364|
|Vanity Fair (US)||12 months||$235||940|
19. Earn Qantas Points at restaurants
Get 100 points when you dine out by booking through Qantas Restaurants. There are currently over 3,000 participating restaurants, bars and cafes around Australia to choose from. The service also includes user reviews, average prices per diner and lets you search by location, cuisine and occasion.
To give you an idea of how many points you could earn through this service, if you dined out once a week and used this service to book each time, you could earn 5,200 Qantas Points in a year.
Daisy is an eager foodie in Sydney and regularly dines out. She hears about Qantas Restaurants and decides to see how many points she can earn by using this service.
Daisy estimates that she dines out an average of four times per week. If she made a booking every time, she would earn 400 Qantas Points per week. Over a year, that works out to be 20,800 points.
That’s enough points for Daisy to get an economy return flight from Sydney to Melbourne (16,000 points) a $100 Westfield gift card (18,370 points) or a Sunbeam Piccolo espresso machine (19,890 points).
20. Get Qantas Points for dining and wining
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program offers several ways for you to earn points on meals and wine. These include:
- Deliveroo. You can earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent when you link your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership to your Deliveroo account and order online or through the Deliveroo app.
- Qantas Wine. The Qantas Wine program gives Frequent Flyer members the opportunity to buy wines served in First and Business class. It also has a range of wine subscriptions that provide new wine selections to you every quarter. Sign up for Premium membership for $99 (or 13,000 Qantas points), and you’ll earn 3 points per $1 spent through this service. You'll also receive invites to gourmet food and wine events around Australia and get a free joining gift valued at $50.
- Qantas Restaurants. This online booking service offers up to 200 Qantas Points per diner when you make your reservation online. Note that the current 200 point offer ends 31 December 2016.
21. Get more points with Qantas Assure health insurance
This health insurance option is underwritten by QBE and offers three different ways to earn Qantas Points:
- Top Hospital and Extras Cover. Earn up to 50,000 bonus sign on Qantas Points when you take out a Top Hospital and Top Extras Cover policy.
- Qantas Assure app. Earn up to 15,000 Qantas Points per year through the Qantas Assure App for activities such as walking.
- Insurance premium payments. Qantas Frequent Flyer members earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 value of insurance premium.
Before choosing a Qantas Assure policy, make sure you consider a range of other health insurance options so that you know you are getting cover that suits your needs.
22. Get fit and earn points with Snap Fitness
Qantas Frequent Flyer members now have the opportunity to earn points on gym workouts at Snap Fitness, with the following options:
- New month-to-month memberships. Get a new month-to-month membership at Snap Gym and earn 100 points per month. New gym members also get a bonus 1,000 points for this option.
- New 12-month full payment memberships. Choose this plan and earn 3,500 bonus Qantas points, plus 100 points per month.
- Existing members. Add your Qantas Frequent Flyer details to your existing Snap Fitness membership to earn 100 points per month. Just talk to a club team member to get it sorted.
Using any of these 22 options for earning Qantas Points is sure to boost your frequent flyer balance. And with Qantas Frequent Flyer regularly updating its options, you could have even more ways to earn points in the future.Back to top