Complete Guide: How to earn more Qantas Points
From flights and accommodation to credit cards and grocery shopping, here are 21 ways you can earn Qantas Frequent Flyer Points faster.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
You can collect Qantas Points on a lot more than your next flight. From going to the movies, doing your groceries and shopping online to choosing the right credit card or insurance, there are plenty of ways to earn Qantas Points in the air and on the ground. To make sure you're rewarding every dollar you spend, here are 21 ways you can earn more Qantas Frequent Flyer Points.
Earn 100,000 bonus Qantas Points
Offer ends 03 May 2021
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
Qantas Money Credit Card Offer
Enjoy premium frequent flyer perks with 100,000 bonus Qantas Points, airport lounge passes and overseas travel insurance.
- Earn 100,000 when you spend $4,000 or more on eligible purchases within 3 months of approval.
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for the first 18 months, with a one-time 1% BT fee
- $199 annual fee for the first year ($299 p.a. thereafter)
- Minimum credit limit: $6,000 | Purchase rate: 19.99% p.a.
21 ways to earn more Qantas Points
1. Flying with Qantas and its partner airlines
You'll earn Qantas Points when you fly with Qantas and Jetstar. As a Qantas Frequent Flyer, you can also earn points when you book eligible flights with oneworld alliance partners (such as British Airways, American Airlines and Cathay Pacific) and other partnered airlines like Emirates and China Eastern.
How many points you'll earn will depend on where you're travelling and the fare you choose. You're guaranteed to earn a minimum of 800 Qantas Points on every eligible economy Qantas flight, 1,200 points on flexible economy or premium economy and at least 1,400 Qantas Points for business and first class Qantas flights. You can also earn more points based on your Qantas Status level and Loyalty Bonuses.
2. Booking accommodation
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program has over 188,000 accommodation options available around the world, from five-star hotels and boutiques to rooms or whole houses listed on Airbnb. Whatever your budget and tastes, here are the four key ways you can earn Qantas Points when you book your accommodation.
- Qantas Hotels bookings. You can earn 3 points per $1 spent on hotel bookings made through Qantas Hotels, an online service that also offers no booking fees. See Finder's guide to Qantas Hotels for more tips.
- Partner hotel rewards programs. Earn up to 3 points per $1 spent or up to 1,000 points per booking by linking your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership to a partner hotel rewards programs such as Hilton Honors or Marriot Rewards.
- Direct bookings with hotels. Many hotels around the world offer Qantas Points for direct bookings, including those in the Hyatt, Marriot and InterContinental Hotels portfolios. Point rates vary, but all you have to do is ask the hotel staff if you’re able to do this when you book, and then show your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card when you check out.
- Airbnb. You can earn 1 Qantas Point per AUD$1 spent on Airbnb bookings made through qantas.com. Check out Finder's guide to earning Qantas Points with Airbnb for more information.
As well as these standard options, accommodation partners may also have promotions that you can take advantage of, such as discounts or extra Qantas Points.
3. Shopping at Woolworths
If you’re a member of the current Everyday Rewards program, you can opt to automatically have your Woolworths Points converted to Qantas Points. Once you link your accounts and choose the Qantas Points option, you'll get 1,000 frequent flyer points for every 2,000 Woolworths Points in your account.
With 1 Woolworths Point earned per $1 spent in-store and online at Woolworths supermarkets and BWS, this works out to be 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. Once you've earned 2,000 Everyday Rewards, they'll automatically be converted to Qantas Points and should appear in your account within 24 hours.
4. Online shopping
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program has its own Online Mall where you can earn points for purchases made at a wide range of retail partners including David Jones, eBay, Net-A-Porter, Apple and Sephora. To earn points:
- Go to the Qantas Shopping Online Mall and log in with your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership details.
- Browse the stores available and click on the one you want to shop with. You will then be taken to a page for the store, with details of how many points you can earn.
- Click the “Shop now” button. You’ll then be redirected to the store’s website, with a special URL so you can earn Qantas Points.
- Select and purchase your items.
5. On restaurant reservations
You can collect 100 Qantas Points per person, per booking when you dine at one of 18,000 Quandoo restaurants in more than 12 countries. Quandoo is one of the largest online restaurant booking platforms and you can pick up points dining out when you book reservations through the Qantas Restaurants portal on Qantas.com or through the Qantas app.
6. At the movies
As if you need another excuse to indulge in a flick and some popcorn, can earn Qantas Points when you see a movie at HOYTS. You'll earn 1 Qantas Point per $2 spent on tickets and candy bar treats if you belong to the HOYTS Rewards Bronze program or 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent if you belong to HOYTS Rewards Silver membership.
7. Spending with a Qantas credit card
You can earn points per $1 spent on eligible purchases using a Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card. Many of these cards also offer thousands of bonus points when you sign up during the promotional period and spend a specific amount of money on the card during the first few months. You can often take advantage of other travel-centric perks like Qantas Lounge invitations and complimentary travel insurance with a Qantas Frequent Flyer card.
If you use a Qantas credit card to purchase items from another Qantas Frequent Flyer partner, you will also earn points twice – once from using your credit card and once from shopping with the partner. Just make sure you compare a range of frequent flyer cards and consider the potential costs to make sure you find one that suits your budget and needs.
Compare Qantas Frequent Flyer Credit Cards
8. Use a Qantas transaction and saving accounts
You can also earn Qantas Points with a transaction or savings account that can be linked to your frequent flyer account. For example, both Bankwest and Qudos Bank offer products that reward you with Qantas Points on eligible purchases, ATM withdrawals and deposits in your account. Check out the individual product reviews on Finder
9. Shop with a Qantas Travel Money card
The Qantas Travel Money card allows you to load and use up to 11 currencies when you go overseas or shop online. You can earn 1.5 points per $1 spent in foreign currencies and 0.25 points per $1 spent in Australia. The card also doubles as your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card. Plus, you can earn double points with Qantas partners when you use Qantas Travel Money card to pay.
10. Purchasing property and real estate management
Qantas Frequent Flyer has partnered with the following two property companies to offer points for purchases, investments and property management:
- LK Property. If you purchase an eligible property through an accredited agent in the LK Property Group, you'll earn 1 point per $2 spent on the deposit and the balance of the purchase price up to 2 million points.
- LJ Hooker. Earn 20,000 points when you list and sell your residential, commercial or industrial property in Australia or New Zealand. You can also earn 10,000 points if you appoint LJ Hooker as your exclusive property management agent for a residential property in Australia and your property is leased.
11. Home loans and car loans
Macquarie Bank has partnered with Qantas to offer both a car loan and a home loan that earn points in different ways. We’ve outlined the point details of each below:
- Macquarie Bank Flyer Home Loan
You have three different ways to earn points through your Macquarie Bank Flyer Home Loan:
- 10,000 Qantas Points for every $100,000 drawn down at settlement.
- 1,000 Qantas Points each month for the life of your loan (as long as your outstanding loan balance is at least $150,000).
- 25,000 bonus Qantas Points on the third and fifth anniversaries of your loan, calculated from the day of settlement (as long as the outstanding loan balance is at least $150,000).
To give you an idea of the total points potential of this account, you could earn 160,000 Qantas Points over 5 years if you had a $500,000 home loan.
- ANZ home loan
If you apply for an eligible ANZ home loan over $300,000 by 31 August 2019 and settle by 31 January 2020, you can earn 300,000 Qantas Points. Terms and conditions apply.
- Macquarie Bank Car Loan.
Earn 1 point for every $1 financed up to a maximum of $100,000 for each contract with a Macquarie Bank car loan. For example, if you wanted to buy a new car for $30,000 and got all of that financed through this loan, you would get 30,000 Qantas Points.
12. Book a cruise
You can earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible cruises booked through the Qantas website. You can choose from 15,000 cruise itineraries, 18 international cruise lines and 178 ships. Partners include P&O Cruises, Royal Caribbean International and Carnival Cruise lines.
13. Go skiing
You can earn 2,000 points on ski packages to Japan, Canada, USA, Europe and South America, and 1,000 points on packages to Australia and New Zealand booked through Skimax.
14. Travel insurance
You can travel with peace of mind and reward yourself when you get cover through Qantas Insurance. How many points you'll earn will depend on the type of cover you choose:
- Earn 1,000 bonus Qantas Points on sign up when you take out this policy.
Annual multi trip - Comprehensive cover for 12 months
- Earn 1,000 bonus Qantas Points on sign up when you take out this policy.
- Collect 1 point per $1 spent on your policy.
- Earn up to 5,000 Qantas Points through the Qantas Wellbeing app.
Terms, conditions and eligibility requirements apply.
15. Car hire
You can earn Qantas Points for rental vehicles hired through Avis or Budget both in Australia and overseas.
- Points in Australia. Get 4 points for every $1 value on eligible time and kilometre charges on car hire from Avis or Budget.
- Points overseas. Get 700 Qantas Points per eligible rental with Avis or Budget.
To earn points, just make sure you include your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number on the booking.
16. Food and wine
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program offers several ways for you to earn points on meals and wine. These include:
- Deliveroo. You can earn 1,000 Qantas Points when you add your Qantas Frequent Flyer number to your Deliveroo account and place your first order. You'll then earn 200 Qantas Points when you order four or more times in a calendar month.
- Qantas Wine. Treat yourself to premium wines and gourmet food from Australia's leading wine regions and reward yourself with points through Qantas Wines. You'll earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent or 3 points per $1 spent on Qantas Wines if you're a Qantas Wine Premium Member.
17. Qantas Health Insurance
You can earn up to 100,000 Qantas Points when you join or switch to Qantas Health Insurance plus 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on your premium for the first 12 months. Qantas Health Insurance is issued by nib health funds. Before choosing a policy, make sure to compare your health insurance options to ensure you're getting the right cover for you.
18. Energy bills
You can reward yourself with Qantas Points every time you pay your energy bills by switching to Red Energy. You'll earn 7 Qantas Points per $1 spent on electricity and gas bills paid on time with a Qantas Red Plus plan or 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on your bills with a Qantas Red Saver plan.
19. Paying for parking
When you use Secure Parking's Secure-a-Spot online parking booking service, you'll earn 3 Qantas Points per $1 spent.
20. Staying active and healthy with the Qantas Wellbeing app
You'll also continue to earn Qantas Points when you're active, when you participate in the sleep health challenge and shop with Wellbeing Partners through the Qantas Wellbeing app. You can participate in challenges (such as cycling to work every day for a week or walking the dog for an hour every night for a week) that'll encourage you to be active while you collect Qantas Points through the app.
If you belong to the Snap Fitness gym, you'll earn up to 120 Qantas Points every time you visit your gym and check-in via the Qantas Wellbeing app. You'll receive 10 points for the first check-in, 20 points for the second check-in and 50 points for the third check-in. New Snap Fitness Gym members can also receive a sign-up bonus of 1,000 Qantas Points after 30 days of joining.
21. At the pharmacy
You can earn 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent at TerryWhite Chemmart pharmacies. If you also join the TerryWhite Chemmart REWARDS program and spend $30 or more in one transaction within 90 days of joining, you'll score 1,000 bonus Qantas Points.
Using any of these 21 options for earning Qantas Points is sure to boost your frequent flyer balance. And with Qantas Frequent Flyer regularly updating its options, you could have even more ways to earn points in the future.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Xbox Series S: Where to buy in Australia
Xbox Series S is a lower-cost alternative to the Xbox Series X. Here's a list of stores where you can buy the console for the best price.
Citi Rewards Card – Bonus Points Offer
Earn flexible rewards points as you spend and enjoy a big 100,000 bonus points offer with the Citi Rewards Credit Card.
HSBC Platinum Credit Card
This card offers 0% interest on balance transfers for 36 months, a discounted $29 first year annual fee and platinum benefits including airport lounge passes and complimentary insurance covers.
Citi Rewards Card – Velocity Points Offer
Enjoy 100,000 bonus Velocity Points, a reduced first-year annual fee and points per $1 spent with the Citi Rewards credit card.
American Express Velocity Business Card
The American Express Velocity Business Card earns points per $1 spent and offers complimentary travel insurance and two complimentary Virgin Australia lounge passes each year.
The American Express Business Card
The American Express Business Card offers reliable service, a wide range of benefits, additional features, and competitive fees.
American Express Qantas Business Rewards Card
The Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card offers 150,000 bonus Qantas Points, no pre-set spending limit and platinum perks including complimentary insurances.
Kogan Money Black Card – Exclusive Offer
Pay 0% interest on balance transfers and get a $50 Kogan.com Credit with a new Kogan Money Black Card.
Citi Rewards Card – Points & Gift Card Offer
Enjoy an introductory 90,000 bonus Citi reward Points, a $100 Coles eGift card, plus a reduced first-year annual fee with this Citi Rewards Card offer.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert