24 ways you can earn more Qantas Points in 2023
From booking flights and accommodation to points-earning credit cards to grocery shopping, here's how to score your rewards faster.
1. Flying with Qantas and its partner airlines
You'll earn Qantas Points whenever you fly with Qantas on a paid ticket. You can also earn points on Jetstar flights, though you'll need to pay for an added Plus or Max bundle.
As a Qantas Frequent Flyer, you also earn points when you book eligible flights with:
- oneworld alliance partners, which include British Airways, American Airlines and Cathay Pacific
- Other partnered airlines such as Emirates and China Eastern
How many points you'll earn depends on where you're travelling and the fare you choose. Generally, the cheaper the fare, the fewer points you get. You're guaranteed to earn a minimum of 800 Qantas Points on every eligible economy Qantas flight, 1,200 points on flexible economy or premium economy and at least 1,400 Qantas Points for business and first class Qantas flights. You can also earn more points with silver, gold or platinum Qantas Frequent Flyer status and with Status Loyalty Bonuses.
2. Booking hotel accommodation
You can earn Qantas Points for a wide range of hotels and serviced apartments.
- Qantas Hotels bookings. You can earn 3 points per $1 spent on hotel bookings made through Qantas Hotels. See Finder's guide to Qantas Hotels for more tips.
- Partner hotel rewards programs. Earn points by linking your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership to a partner hotel rewards program. Eligible schemes include Accor Live Limitless, Choice Privileges, Hilton Honors, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Radisson, Swiss-Belhotel International, TFE Hotels and World of Hyatt. For Australia, Accor Live Limitless is the choice with the widest range of domestic rooms.
3. Booking an Airbnb
You can earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on Airbnb bookings made through Qantas.
Follow these 4 steps to start earning Qantas Points with Airbnb:
- Visit qantas.com/airbnb and log in if necessary.
- Filter your choices by your travel destination, check-in and check-out dates and number of guests.
- Select "Search Airbnb".
- Book your Airbnb and enjoy your stay!
The points can take up to 8 weeks to appear in your account after you've checked out from your Airbnb stay. If you cancel or request a refund for your Airbnb booking, you won't earn any Qantas Points.
4. Shopping at Woolworths
If you're a member of the Everyday Rewards program, you can convert your Everyday Rewards points to Qantas Points. Once you link your accounts and choose the Qantas Points option, you'll get 1,000 frequent flyer points for every 2,000 Woolworths Points in your account. This is equivalent to around 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent at Woolworths and other partners.
When your Everyday Rewards balance reaches 2,000 points, they'll automatically be converted to Qantas Points and should appear in your account within 24 hours. You can increase the number of points you earn by joining Everyday Extra.
5. Qantas Shopping
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program has its own online shopping directory where you can earn points for purchases made at a wide range of retail partners including David Jones, eBay, Net-A-Porter, Apple and Sephora. As of July 2023 there are over 260 partners. To earn points:
- Go to Qantas Shopping and log in with your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership details.
- Browse the stores available and click on the one you want to shop with. You will then be taken to a page for the store, with details of how many points you can earn. Keep an eye out for stores offering bonus points multipliers.
- Click the "Shop now" button. You'll then be redirected to the store's website, with a special URL so you can earn Qantas Points.
- Select and purchase your items.
6. bp fuel purchases
Join BP Rewards and you'll earn Qantas Points on these purchases at bp service stations:
- 2 points per litre on BP Ultimate Unleaded
- 1 point per litre on all other fuels
- 1 point per $1 spent on eligible in-store items
Points should be credited into your account within 7 days.
7. At the movies
You can earn Qantas Points when you see a movie at HOYTS. You'll earn 1 Qantas Point per $2 spent on tickets and candy bar treats if you belong to the HOYTS Rewards program, or 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent if you belong to HOYTS Rewards VIP. VIP costs $15 a year. (Alternatively, you can spend 3,000 Qantas Points to join, but that's a low-value usage.)
8. Spending with a Qantas credit card
You can earn points per $1 spent on eligible purchases using a Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card. These are offered by many banks, including all of the Big Four (ANZ, CommBank, NAB and Westpac).
Many of these cards also offer thousands of bonus points when you sign up during the promotional period and spend a specific amount of money on the card during the first few months. You can often take advantage of other travel-centric perks like Qantas Lounge invitations and complimentary travel insurance with a Qantas Frequent Flyer card.
If you use a Qantas credit card to purchase items from another Qantas Frequent Flyer partner, you will also earn points twice – once from using your credit card and once from shopping with the partner. Make sure you compare a range of frequent flyer cards and consider the potential costs to make sure you find one that suits your budget and needs.
Compare Qantas Frequent Flyer credit cards
9. Using Qantas transaction and savings accounts
You can also earn Qantas Points with a transaction or savings account that can be linked to your frequent flyer account. Both Bankwest and Qudos Bank offer products that reward you with Qantas Points on eligible purchases, ATM withdrawals and deposits in your account. Check out the individual product reviews on Finder.
10. Spending with a Qantas Travel Money card
The Qantas Travel Money card allows you to load and use up to 11 currencies overseas, online and with any business that accepts this prepaid Mastercard. You can earn 1.5 points per $1 spent in foreign currencies and an equivalent to 0.25 points per $1 spent in Australia.
11. Purchasing property and real estate management
Qantas Frequent Flyer has partnered with several property companies to offer points for purchases, investments and property management:
- LK Property. If you purchase an eligible property through an accredited agent in the LK Property Group, you'll earn 1 point per $2 spent on the deposit and the balance of the purchase price. The maximum you can earn is 2 million Qantas Points.
- LJ Hooker. Earn 20,000 points when you list and sell your residential, commercial or industrial property in Australia or New Zealand. You can also earn 10,000 points if you appoint LJ Hooker as your exclusive property management agent for a residential property in Australia and your property is leased.
- Amity Property Group. Earn points when you buy a property in Melbourne with Amity Property Group. Properties priced under $600,000 earn 100,000 Qantas Points; those over $600,000 earn 200,000 Qantas Points.
12. Home loans and personal loans
Several banks offer loans which offer the ability to earn Qantas Points:
13. Booking a cruise
You can earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible cruises booked through the Qantas website. Partners include P&O Cruises, Royal Caribbean International and Carnival cruise lines. Note this won't work if you book your cruise through a travel agent.
14. Travel insurance
If you get cover through Qantas Insurance, you'll earn 1 Qantas Point for every $1 spent on eligible travel insurance policies. Note that Qantas' policies are often pricey, so it's worth comparing travel insurance to make sure you're getting good value.
15. Car hire
You can earn Qantas Points for rental vehicles hired through Avis or Budget both in Australia and overseas.
- Points in Australia. Get 4 points for every $1 value on eligible time and kilometre charges on car hire from Avis or Budget.
- Points overseas. Get 700 Qantas Points per eligible rental with Avis or Budget.
To earn points, make sure you include your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number on the booking.
16. Qantas Wine
You'll earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent with Qantas Wine, or 3 points per $1 spent on Qantas Wines if you're a Qantas Wine Premium Member. Buying wines which include bonus points offers can be a good way to boost your points total; there are regularly offers with 3,000 or more bonus Qantas Points on offer.
17. Qantas Health Insurance
You can earn up to 110,000 Qantas Points when you join or switch to Qantas Health Insurance plus 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on your premium for the first 12 months. Qantas Health Insurance is issued by nib health funds. Before choosing a policy, make sure to compare your health insurance options to ensure you're getting the right cover for you.
18. Energy bills
19. The Qantas Wellbeing app
You'll earn Qantas Points when you're active, when you participate in the sleep health challenge and shop with Wellbeing Partners through the Qantas Wellbeing app. You can participate in challenges (such as cycling to work every day for a week or walking the dog for an hour every night for a week) that'll encourage you to be active while you collect Qantas Points through the app.
20. Taking an Uber to or from the airport
Link your Uber and Qantas Frequent Flyer accounts to start earning Qantas Points. You'll earn 1 Qantas Point for every $1 spent on Uber trips to or from the airport. You can earn points when you book flights from any of these airports:
- Gold Coast
To earn any Qantas Points with Uber you have to make sure to book via the "Uber" button in the "Book" section of the Qantas app.
21. Trade stocks and shares
A few share trading platforms offer Qantas Points options:
- You can earn 100 Qantas Points per trade on Australian and ETF securities trades made with Superhero. Your Qantas Points will be credited to your account within 30 days of completing your trade. You can also earn 1 Qantas Point for every USD$5 transferred to your US wallet using the USD tab in your Superhero wallet.
- Investment advisory firm Elston offer 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible services.
- Leveraged will pay up to 60,000 Qantas Points for every $10,000 you borrow to invest via a Leveraged Margin Loan, Investment Funds Multiplier or Direct Investment Loan.
22. Qantas Car Insurance
Qantas Car Insurance offers 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent, plus bonus points offers depending on what you spend. Car insurance costs vary widely, so compare your car insurance options before signing up.
23. Qantas Home Insurance
Like other Qantas insurance products, this includes 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent. You'll need to meet minimum spend requirements and it's definitely worth comparing home insurance to ensure you're getting the right policy, and not just picking one for the sake of earning points.
24. Optus phone plans
New Optus customers can earn up to 20,000 Qantas Points, plus 10 points per $1 spent on the plan, by switching to a SIM-only plan on a 12-month contract. Here's what you can earn:
|Cost||Data||Bonus points earned|
Note that if you're an existing Optus postpaid customer, you'll need to add an additional service to score points. Also be aware that the points-earning plans often have cheaper Optus counterparts that don't earn points, so choose carefully.
More guides on Finder
Rex Flyer: How to get the most from Rex’s frequent flyer scheme
How many Rex Points can you earn and what's the best way to spend them?
How to earn frequent flyer points with Netflix gift cards
Pay for your streaming and earn extra Qantas or Velocity Points at the same time.
How to buy Qantas Frequent Flyer Points in 2023
Coming up slightly short for a Qantas Reward Flight or upgrade? Here's how to purchase Qantas Points, and whether it's worth it.
BP Rewards: Earn BP or Qantas Points with your petrol
With BP Rewards, you'll earn BP or Qantas Points for your fuel and other spending at participating BP locations in Australia – with fuel rewards and more.
How to transfer your points between Velocity and KrisFlyer
Learn how you can maximise your rewards as a frequent flyer with both Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines.
Priority Pass: The complete Australian guide
Everything you need to know about Priority Pass' pay-per-visit lounge scheme, and when it's worth signing up.
How to earn Qantas Points on Airbnb bookings
finder’s step-by-step guide to earning Qantas Points with Airbnb and how you can earn bonus points on your first booking.
Westpac Altitude Rewards
From cashback to travel and new headphones, we look at the different ways you can spend your Westpac Altitude Points.
When do my frequent flyer and rewards points expire?
Discover when your frequent flyer, credit card or supermarket reward points expire and what you can do to keep your account active.
Ask an Expert