22 ways you can earn more Qantas Points in 2021
From booking flights and accommodation to points-earning credit cards to grocery shopping, earn your rewards faster.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
From taking flights, going to the movies, doing your groceries and shopping online to choosing the right credit card or insurance, there are plenty of ways to earn Qantas Points in the air and on the ground. To make sure you're rewarded for every dollar you spend, here's host of ways you can earn more Qantas Frequent Flyer Points.
1. Flying with Qantas and its partner airlines
You'll earn Qantas Points when you fly with Qantas and on some Jetstar flights. As a Qantas Frequent Flyer, you can also earn points when you book eligible flights with oneworld alliance partners (such as British Airways, American Airlines and Cathay Pacific) and other partnered airlines like Emirates and China Eastern.
How many points you'll earn will depend on where you're travelling and the fare you choose. You're guaranteed to earn a minimum of 800 Qantas Points on every eligible economy Qantas flight, 1,200 points on flexible economy or premium economy and at least 1,400 Qantas Points for business and first class Qantas flights. You can also earn more points based on your Qantas Status level and Loyalty Bonuses.
2. Booking hotel accommodation
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program has over 188,000 accommodation options available around the world, from 5-star hotels and boutiques to rooms or whole houses listed on Airbnb. Whatever your budget and tastes, here are the 4 key ways you can earn Qantas Points when you book your accommodation.
- Qantas Hotels bookings. You can earn 3 points per $1 spent on hotel bookings made through Qantas Hotels, an online service that also offers no booking fees. See Finder's guide to Qantas Hotels for more tips.
- Partner hotel rewards programs. Earn up to 3 points per $1 spent or up to 1,000 points per booking by linking your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership to a partner hotel rewards program such as Hilton Honors or Marriot Rewards.
- Direct bookings with hotels. Many hotels around the world offer Qantas Points for direct bookings, including those in the Hyatt, Marriot and InterContinental Hotels portfolios. Point rates vary, but all you have to do is ask the hotel staff if you’re able to do this when you book, and then show your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card when you check out.
As well as these standard options, accommodation partners may also have promotions that you can take advantage of, such as discounts or extra Qantas Points.
3. Booking an Airbnb
You can earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on Airbnb bookings made through Qantas.
Follow these 4 easy steps to start earning Qantas Points with Airbnb:
- Visit qantas.com/airbnb and select "Airbnb" (rather than "Hotels").
- Filter your choices by your travel destination, check-in and check-out dates and number of guests.
- Select "Search Airbnb" and enter your Qantas Frequent Flyer number and surname.
- Book your Airbnb and enjoy your stay!
The points can take up to 8 weeks to appear in your account after you've checked out from your Airbnb stay. If you cancel or request a refund for your Airbnb booking, you won't earn any Qantas Points.
4. Shopping at Woolworths
If you’re a member of the current Everyday Rewards program, you can opt to automatically have your Woolworths Points converted to Qantas Points. Once you link your accounts and choose the Qantas Points option, you'll get 1,000 frequent flyer points for every 2,000 Woolworths Points in your account.
With 1 Woolworths Point earned per $1 spent in-store and online at Woolworths supermarkets and BWS, this works out to be 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent. Once you've earned 2,000 Everyday Rewards, they'll automatically be converted to Qantas Points and should appear in your account within 24 hours.
5. Online shopping
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program has its own Online Mall where you can earn points for purchases made at a wide range of retail partners including David Jones, eBay, Net-A-Porter, Apple and Sephora. To earn points:
- Go to the Qantas Shopping Online Mall and log in with your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership details.
- Browse the stores available and click on the one you want to shop with. You will then be taken to a page for the store, with details of how many points you can earn.
- Click the “Shop now” button. You’ll then be redirected to the store’s website, with a special URL so you can earn Qantas Points.
- Select and purchase your items.
6. On restaurant reservations
You can collect 100 Qantas Points per person, per booking when you dine at one of 18,000 Quandoo restaurants in more than 12 countries. Quandoo is one of the largest online restaurant booking platforms and you can pick up points dining out when you book reservations through the Qantas Restaurants portal on Qantas.com or through the Qantas app.
7. At the movies
As if you need another excuse to indulge in a flick and some popcorn, you can earn Qantas Points when you see a movie at HOYTS. You'll earn 1 Qantas Point per $2 spent on tickets and candy bar treats if you belong to the HOYTS Rewards Bronze program, or 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent if you belong to HOYTS Rewards Silver membership.
8. Spending with a Qantas credit card
You can earn points per $1 spent on eligible purchases using a Qantas Frequent Flyer credit card. Many of these cards also offer thousands of bonus points when you sign up during the promotional period and spend a specific amount of money on the card during the first few months. You can often take advantage of other travel-centric perks like Qantas Lounge invitations and complimentary travel insurance with a Qantas Frequent Flyer card.
If you use a Qantas credit card to purchase items from another Qantas Frequent Flyer partner, you will also earn points twice – once from using your credit card and once from shopping with the partner. Just make sure you compare a range of frequent flyer cards and consider the potential costs to make sure you find one that suits your budget and needs.
Compare Qantas Frequent Flyer credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
9. Using Qantas transaction and savings accounts
You can also earn Qantas Points with a transaction or savings account that can be linked to your frequent flyer account. For example, both Bankwest and Qudos Bank offer products that reward you with Qantas Points on eligible purchases, ATM withdrawals and deposits in your account. Check out the individual product reviews on Finder.
10. Shopping with a Qantas Travel Money card
The Qantas Travel Money card allows you to load and use up to 11 currencies when you go overseas or shop online. You can earn 1.5 points per $1 spent in foreign currencies and 0.25 points per $1 spent in Australia. The card also doubles as your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership card. Plus, you can earn double points with Qantas partners when you use Qantas Travel Money card to pay.
11. Purchasing property and real estate management
Qantas Frequent Flyer has partnered with the following 2 property companies to offer points for purchases, investments and property management:
- LK Property. If you purchase an eligible property through an accredited agent in the LK Property Group, you'll earn 1 point per $2 spent on the deposit and the balance of the purchase price up to 2 million points.
- LJ Hooker. Earn 20,000 points when you list and sell your residential, commercial or industrial property in Australia or New Zealand. You can also earn 10,000 points if you appoint LJ Hooker as your exclusive property management agent for a residential property in Australia and your property is leased.
12. Home loans and car loans
Macquarie Bank has partnered with Qantas to offer both a car loan and a home loan that earn points in different ways. We’ve outlined the point details of each below:
- Macquarie Bank Flyer Home Loan
You have 3 different ways to earn points through your Macquarie Bank Flyer Home Loan:
- 10,000 Qantas Points for every $100,000 drawn down at settlement.
- 1,000 Qantas Points each month for the life of your loan (as long as your outstanding loan balance is at least $150,000).
- 25,000 bonus Qantas Points on the third and fifth anniversaries of your loan, calculated from the day of settlement (as long as the outstanding loan balance is at least $150,000).
To give you an idea of the total points potential of this account, you could earn 160,000 Qantas Points over 5 years if you had a $500,000 home loan.
- Macquarie Bank Car Loan
Earn 1 point for every $1 financed up to a maximum of $100,000 for each contract with a Macquarie Bank car loan. For example, if you wanted to buy a new car for $30,000 and got all of that financed through this loan, you would get 30,000 Qantas Points.
13. Booking a cruise
You can earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible cruises booked through the Qantas website. You can choose from 15,000 cruise itineraries, 18 international cruise lines and 178 ships. Partners include P&O Cruises, Royal Caribbean International and Carnival cruise lines.
14. Going skiing
You can earn 2,000 Qantas Points on ski packages booked through Skimax. There are conditions for how many nights and days must be booked for accommodation and lift passes depending on the location.
|Northern Hemisphere (excluding Europe)||Southern Hemisphere||France||Italy||Austria||Switzerland|
|Accommodation||7 nights||5 nights||7 nights||7 nights||7 nights||7 nights|
|Lift pass||6 days||5 days||6 days||N/A||N/A||N/A|
15. Travel insurance
You can travel with peace of mind and reward yourself when you get cover through Qantas Insurance. Earn 1 Qantas Point for every $1 spent on eligible travel insurance policies. Most policies are included except for cancellation and baggage.
Terms, conditions and eligibility requirements apply.
16. Car hire
- Points in Australia. Get 4 points for every $1 value on eligible time and kilometre charges on car hire from Avis or Budget.
- Points overseas. Get 700 Qantas Points per eligible rental with Avis or Budget.
To earn points, just make sure you include your Qantas Frequent Flyer membership number on the booking.
17. Food and wine
The Qantas Frequent Flyer program offers several ways for you to earn points on meals and wine. These include:
- Deliveroo. You can earn 1,000 Qantas Points when you add your Qantas Frequent Flyer number to your Deliveroo account and place your first order. You'll then earn 200 Qantas Points when you order 4 or more times in a calendar month.
- Qantas Wine. Treat yourself to premium wines and gourmet food from Australia's leading wine regions and reward yourself with points through Qantas Wines. You'll earn 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent or 3 points per $1 spent on Qantas Wines if you're a Qantas Wine Premium Member.
18. Qantas Health Insurance
You can earn up to 100,000 Qantas Points when you join or switch to Qantas Health Insurance plus 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on your premium for the first 12 months. Qantas Health Insurance is issued by nib health funds. Before choosing a policy, make sure to compare your health insurance options to ensure you're getting the right cover for you.
19. Energy bills
You can reward yourself with Qantas Points every time you pay your energy bills by switching to Red Energy. You'll earn 7 Qantas Points per $1 spent on electricity and gas bills paid on time with a Qantas Red Plus plan or 2 Qantas Points per $1 spent on your bills with a Qantas Red Saver plan.
20. Staying active and healthy with the Qantas Wellbeing app
You'll also continue to earn Qantas Points when you're active, when you participate in the sleep health challenge and shop with Wellbeing Partners through the Qantas Wellbeing app. You can participate in challenges (such as cycling to work every day for a week or walking the dog for an hour every night for a week) that'll encourage you to be active while you collect Qantas Points through the app.
21. Taking an Uber to or from the airport
Link your Uber and Qantas Frequent Flyer accounts to start earning Qantas Points. There are 2 ways you can earn Qantas Points with Uber:
- Earn Qantas Points directly when you're travelling to and from selected larger Australian airports.
- Convert Uber Rewards points to Qantas Points. Uber Rewards launched in Australia in early 2020. Gold, Platinum or Diamond Uber Rewards members can convert 750 Uber Rewards to 200 Qantas Points. To reach Gold, you need to earn 1,200 Uber Rewards points.
You'll earn 1 Qantas Point for every $1 spent on airport Uber trips, regardless of your tier.
You can earn points when travelling between these eligible airports:
- Byron Bay
- Gold Coast
If you haven't signed up to Uber yet, you can score 2,000 bonus Qantas Points if you join and book your first Uber trip for anywhere in Australia (not just trips to the airport).
To earn any Qantas Points with Uber you have to make sure to book via the "Uber" button in the "Book" section of the Qantas app.
22. Shop with onsport.com.au
You can earn 5 Qantas Points per $1 spent on sports equipment and outdoor products purchased through onsport.com.au.Back to top
More guides on Finder
Points travel is back, how can you earn more points?
Picking the right credit card makes a massive difference.
20% off Qantas Points flights: Watch out for the catch
I love a bargain, but I won't be booking any flights myself.
CommBank Ultimate Awards Credit Card with Qantas Points
With 70,000 bonus Qantas Points on offer and up to 1.2 points per $1 spent, how do the features on this CommBank credit card stack up?
Velocity’s Million Points Giveaway for frequent flyers explained
Here's what you need to do to be in the running to become a points millionaire.
Qantas Points planes take off to these international cities in November
Book your trip to the United States and the United Kingdom with points now.
In 9 years I’ve never paid credit card interest – here’s how
I've had 4 credit cards, earned a lot of points and used perks without ever paying a cent in interest – and you can too.
Virgin Tasmania flights sale from $49 and double status credits
EXPIRED: Virgin Australia launches more direct Tassie services with flexible flights taking off from October 2021.
Virgin Velocity status extension and bonus credits: There’s one big catch
Bonus Status Credits and international flight rewards are coming back too.
COVID vaccination rewards from Medibank, Finder, Qantas, Telstra and more
Major names in health insurance and travel have moved fast to offer rewards to people who've received the COVID-19 vaccination.
Qatar Airways launches global sale with 5,000 bonus Qmiles
EXPIRED: Flights start from $1,399 to 140 destinations including London, Istanbul, Barcelona and more.
Ask an Expert