Enova Energy: Electricity plans
Australia’s first community-owned energy retailer Enova Energy puts the power back in the hands of NSW residents.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Is Enova Energy right for me?
- What does Enova Energy offer? Electricity in New South Wales.
- Product highlights: Enova offers several renewable energy options and 50% of the company's profits are given back to the community.
- Watch out for: Enova only services the Essential Energy network in rural NSW and doesn't offer gas.
Enova Energy electricity
Enova grew from a community movement against coal seam gas in northern NSW in 2014. Concerned about climate change, carbon emissions and fossil fuels, Northern Rivers residents came together to demonstrate that they could meet their own energy needs. In 2016, Enova Energy launched as Australia's first community-owned energy retailer.
Based in Byron Bay, Enova Energy now offers electricity to residences and businesses in the Essential, Ausgrid and Endeavour Energy networks in New South Wales and south east Queensland. Products are geared towards customers who want to minimise their environmental impact and support the local community and economy.
Enova also runs a registered charity, Enova Community, which puts 50% of the company's profits back into the community to support renewable energy projects.
|State||⚡ Electricity||♨️ Gas|
Can I get solar power?
Yes, Enova offers solar plans with feed-in tariffs to customers who already have solar panel systems. Depending on the plan you sign up for, you may need to have a net meter installed.
If you don't have a solar system installed and aren't able to get one, the company offers a unique opportunity. Customers in certain areas can contribute to a solar garden project which buys and installs solar panels on the roofs of medium-sized businesses. In return, you'll get a credit on your power bill and help support renewable energy.
Can I get GreenPower?
Yes, Enova is GreenPower accredited and offers plans with 50% or 100% of the energy sourced from government-certified renewables.
For those who want to further reduce their carbon footprint, customers can also join a Renewable Development Initiative that helps create and support community solar projects.
Enova Community is Enova's not-for-profit branch that facilitates access to renewable energy for low-income residents and community groups with limited funds. The charity works with several community organisations on the following projects:
- Solar gardens. The solar garden project enables people who can't install solar on their own rooftops to contribute to renewable energy by helping buy solar panels for solar gardens in exchange for a recurring credit on their electricity bill.
- Community housing. In partnership with North Coast Community Housing and the Office of Environment and Heritage, Enova supports community housing solar projects. The company also offers home energy audits to help low-income residents reduce electricity consumption and save money.
- Solar for community groups. Enova has worked with LightnUp Inc, RED Inc and Community Owned Renewable Energy Mullumbimby to install solar panels on rooftops of community organisations.
How can I pay my bills?
Enova accepts several types of payments, including the following:
Why consider Enova Energy?
- Renewable energy. In addition to solar power and GreenPower plans, Enova gives customers who aren't able to install solar panels other opportunities to support renewable energy.
- Community support. Enova is community owned and gives 50% of profits back to the community.
- No-lock-in contracts. If you decide Enova isn't right for you, you can cancel your account at any time.
- Pay-on-time discount. Customers can earn discounts by paying their bills on time each month.
- Monthly billing. While your actual meters will be read quarterly, Enova offers monthly billing to help customers avoid bill shock at the end of the quarter.
- Electronic billing. Enova sends bills via email to reduce the impact on the environment. However, if you prefer paper billing, you can make alternative arrangements by calling customer service.
More guides on Finder
Average SME electricity bill
Want to know if your business is paying too much for energy? We've analysed bills for power from SMEs across Australia.
Solar panel quotes Adelaide
How to get started with solar panels in Adelaide.
Australian-owned energy companies in 2021
Interested in buying local? Here’s who owns the energy companies you see in Australia.
Solar panel quotes Canberra
A complete guide to solar panel installation and quotes in and around Canberra.
Financial assistance for your energy and Internet bills
The coronavirus pandemic means paying for household bills like energy could get tougher. Learn about your financial hardship options.
Clean tech and renewables: unlocking Australia’s green energy potential
Renewable energy expert Ketan Joshi gives us the lowdown on Australia's unique potential for clean energy and rapid decarbonisation.
Top 11 eco-friendly resorts in Sri Lanka
A useful guide to being a more sustainable traveller in Sri Lanka, including where to stay.
Energy Australia vs Origin
Energy Australia vs Origin: Find out who will save you more money.
Top 8 eco-friendly resorts in Thailand for 2021
From nests in the treetops to villas with private infinity pools, there are plenty of sustainable and eco-friendly resorts in Thailand to choose from.
Lower your household bills
Compare internet from over 50 providers in our broadband engine.
Check out our select picks of the best plans available.
Mobile broadband is fast becoming a viable alternative to fixed line.