Enova Energy: Electricity plans
Australia’s first community-owned energy retailer Enova Energy puts the power back in the hands of NSW residents.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Is Enova Energy right for me?
- What does Enova Energy offer? Electricity in New South Wales.
- Product highlights: Enova offers several renewable energy options and 50% of the company's profits are given back to the community.
- Watch out for: Enova only services the Essential Energy network in rural NSW and doesn't offer gas.
Enova Energy electricity
Enova grew from a community movement against coal seam gas in northern NSW in 2014. Concerned about climate change, carbon emissions and fossil fuels, Northern Rivers residents came together to demonstrate that they could meet their own energy needs. In 2016, Enova Energy launched as Australia's first community-owned energy retailer.
Based in Byron Bay, Enova Energy now offers electricity to residences and businesses in the Essential Energy network in NSW. Products are geared towards customers who want to minimise their environmental impact and support the local community and economy.
Enova also runs a registered charity, Enova Community, which puts 50% of the company's profits back into the community to support renewable energy projects.
|State||⚡ Electricity||♨️ Gas|
Can I get solar power?
Yes, Enova offers solar plans with feed-in tariffs to customers who already have solar panel systems. Depending on the plan you sign up for, you may need to have a net meter installed.
If you don't have a solar system installed and aren't able to get one, the company offers a unique opportunity. Customers in certain areas can contribute to a solar garden project which buys and installs solar panels on the roofs of medium-sized businesses. In return, you'll get a credit on your power bill and help support renewable energy.
Can I get GreenPower?
Yes, Enova is GreenPower accredited and offers plans with 50% or 100% of the energy sourced from government-certified renewables.
For those who want to further reduce their carbon footprint, customers can also join a Renewable Development Initiative that helps create and support community solar projects.
Enova Community is Enova's not-for-profit branch that facilitates access to renewable energy for low-income residents and community groups with limited funds. The charity works with several community organisations on the following projects:
- Solar gardens. The solar garden project enables people who can't install solar on their own rooftops to contribute to renewable energy by helping buy solar panels for solar gardens in exchange for a recurring credit on their electricity bill.
- Community housing. In partnership with North Coast Community Housing and the Office of Environment and Heritage, Enova supports community housing solar projects. The company also offers home energy audits to help low-income residents reduce electricity consumption and save money.
- Solar for community groups. Enova has worked with LightnUp Inc, RED Inc and Community Owned Renewable Energy Mullumbimby to install solar panels on rooftops of community organisations.
How can I pay my bills?
Enova accepts several types of payments, including the following:
Why consider Enova Energy?
- Renewable energy. In addition to solar power and GreenPower plans, Enova gives customers who aren't able to install solar panels other opportunities to support renewable energy.
- Community support. Enova is community owned and gives 50% of profits back to the community.
- No-lock-in contracts. If you decide Enova isn't right for you, you can cancel your account at any time.
- Pay-on-time discount. Customers can earn discounts by paying their bills on time each month.
- Monthly billing. While your actual meters will be read quarterly, Enova offers monthly billing to help customers avoid bill shock at the end of the quarter.
- Electronic billing. Enova sends bills via email to reduce the impact on the environment. However, if you prefer paper billing, you can make alternative arrangements by calling customer service.
More guides on finder
Energy plans for low income earners and families
Paying the bills isn't on time isn't always easy. Here's what you you need to look out for.
Best electricity plans for solar owners
Compare feed-in tariffs and more to find a good value plan.
Energy plans for renters
Renting shouldn't mean settling for a terrible energy plan. Find out how to make the best of your move.
Red Energy vs Origin
Red Energy vs Origin Energy: Compare rates, plans features and incentives in four states.
Electricity price changes (June 2020 update)
Energy rates, fees and price structures are far from static. They can change at almost any time for a variety of reasons.
Gas vs Electricity: What’s better for your wallet?
Decide whether electricity or gas is better for your home and wallet with this comprehensive guide.
What is the average (kWh) cost of electricity in Australia?
The amount you pay per unit of power depends on many factors. Find out how much you should be paying and how you can save.
Lower your household bills
Compare internet from over 50 providers in our broadband engine.
Check out our select picks of the best plans available.
Mobile broadband is fast becoming a viable alternative to fixed line.