Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Energy rebates and concessions in New South Wales

Discover how to get cheaper electricity, gas and solar energy in NSW.

Types of NSW energy rebates Find out here
Other states and territories Learn more

New South Wales offers several energy concessions and rebates that can help lower your energy bills if you meet the eligibility requirements. We'll walk you through the different rebates and concessions you might qualify for and how to apply for each of them.

In this guide

Types of NSW energy rebates

Eligible New South Wales residents can receive electricity, gas and solar rebates.

The following table shows an overview of energy rebates and concessions available in New South Wales. To find out more about a specific rebate, click on the one you're interested in.

What is it?Type of energy
Tag discountFamily Energy RebateRebates for households with dependent children or students who receive the Family Tax Benefit.Electricity
Low income houseLow Income Household RebateConcessions for pensioners, seniors, veterans and families who are struggling to pay their electricity bill.Electricity
life supportLife Support RebateRebates for those using energy-intensive life support equipment.Electricity
Medical energy rebateMedical Energy RebateRebates for people who are medically unable to regulate their body temperature.Electricity
Energy SupplementAutomatic rebates for your energy bill.Electricity
gas rebateNSW Gas RebateRebates for eligible pensioners, veterans and low-income natural gas and LPG customers.Gas
solarSolar energy rebatesRebates for energy fed back into the power grid.Solar

You can also save money by finding a cheaper energy plan in NSW

NSW electricity rebates

There are several electricity rebates and concessions for NSW residents.

Tag discount

Family Energy Rebate

Who can get it? To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a resident of NSW whose name is on the household energy bill.
  • You must have received a Family Tax Benefit in the previous financial year.

How to apply: You can apply online if you're eligible and have finalised your tax return for the previous year. In some situations, you might need to submit a paper application form through the mail instead.

Eligible NSW family households with dependent children can get credit towards their energy bill.

Low income house

Low Income Household Rebate

The Low Income Household Rebate provides discounts to pensioners, seniors, veterans or households that struggle to pay their energy bill. The rebate amount varies depending on whether you are an electricity retailer customer or receive supplied energy.

Who can get it? You must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a NSW resident.
  • You must hold an eligible concession card.

Commonwealth Senior Health Cardholders are not eligible for this rebate.

How to apply: Contact your current energy provider. If you receive electricity from a supplied provider, you'll need to apply directly to the NSW energy department.

life support

Life Support Rebate

If someone in your home requires the use of energy-intensive equipment, you may qualify for an energy rebate.

Who can get it? You must be a NSW resident, and someone at your address must be using one or more of the following:

  • Electric mobility devices
  • Oxygen concentrators
  • Positive airways pressure (PAP) devices
  • Enteral feeding pumps
  • External heart pump
  • Home dialysis
  • Phototherapy equipment
  • Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) pumps
  • Ventilators

How to apply: Contact your energy supplier directly unless you receive on-supplied energy, in which case you should submit an application to the NSW energy department.

Medical energy rebate

Medical Energy Rebate

If you or someone in your household experiences a medical condition that prevents the body from effectively regulating its temperature, the Medical Energy Rebate can offset the cost of heating or cooling your home.

Who can get it? The applicant must be a NSW resident with a Pensioner Concession Card, Department of Veterans Affairs Card or Health Care Card. Additionally, a qualified medical practitioner will need to diagnose the applicant with at least one primary condition and one secondary condition.

How to apply: Send a completed application form signed by your qualifying medical practitioner to your energy company. If you are receiving on-supplied energy, you should submit it to the NSW energy department instead.

What about the Energy Supplement?

You may receive regular rebates towards your energy bill if you are receiving other forms of assistance payments. However, the supplement is only awarded to those who became eligible on or before 19 September 2016. If you become eligible after this date, you won't be able to receive the Energy Supplement.

How to apply: The energy supplement is automatically applied to eligible applicants.

gas rebate

NSW gas rebates

A gas rebate is only available for residents of NSW, aptly called the NSW Gas Rebate. Similar to the low-income household electricity rebate, the Gas Rebate provides annual discounts to eligible pensioners, veterans and low-income natural gas and LPG customers. If you use natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) for necessities including cooking, heating or hot water, you may be eligible to claim a rebate towards your gas bill. If you're not sure what type of gas you are using, check out our guide to gas plans in Australia.

Who can get it? You must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a NSW resident using LPG or natural gas for cooking, heating or hot water.
  • You must either have your name on the gas bill or be purchasing LPG in cylinder sizes of 45kg or more to use for these necessities. Proof of purchase is required.
  • You must hold an eligible pensioner concession card. Commonwealth Senior Health Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.

How to apply: If you receive gas from a supplied provider, you can apply directly to the NSW energy department. Otherwise, contact your current gas provider to find about their application process.


NSW solar rebates

Solar feed-in tariffs in NSW offer rebates to residents that have home or business solar power. The solar feed-in tariff rewards users based on how much power they are producing and feeding back into the grid. Tariffs vary depending on the energy company and where you live.

Your comprehensive guide to solar energy

Additional concessions and discounts

Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) Scheme

The EAPA scheme can help you keep the power on if you're experiencing temporary financial difficulties by providing you with electricity vouchers. Approved community welfare groups are allowed to conduct EAPA assessments and give vouchers to eligible households.

Keep in mind, EAPA vouchers are not available for gas. If you think you may be eligible for the EAPA scheme, it may also be a good idea to get in touch with your electric company and look for alternative payment plans and other long-term ways of reducing costs.

Appliance discounts

You might be eligible for discounts on energy-efficient appliances if you are a resident of NSW and have the following:

  • A refrigerator that’s at least six years old that you want to replace
  • An old plasma or cathode ray tube (CRT) television

You must also hold at least one of the following concession cards:

  • A Pensioner concession card
  • A Health care card, or Centrelink low income health care card
  • A DVA gold card

Other states and territories

Here are the available concessions and rebates in each state:

Victorian residents may be eligible for the following rebates/concessions:

  • Winter Gas Concession
  • Medical Cooling Concession
  • Annual Electricity Concession (a year-round discount for residents with concession cards)
  • Life Support Concession

Learn more about Victorian energy rebates

Residents of Queensland may be eligible for the following rebates/concessions:

  • Electricity Rebate
  • Home Energy Emergency Assistance scheme
  • Electricity Life Support Concession

Get more information about Queensland energy assistance

South Australian residents may be eligible for the following rebates/concessions:
  • Energy bill concession
  • Medical heating and cooling concession
  • Cost of living concession
  • Residential park resident concession
  • Home dialysis electricity concession
If you live in Tasmania, you may be eligible for the following rebates/concessions:
  • Annual Electricity Concession
  • Heating Allowance
  • Life Support Concession
  • Medical Cooling Concession
People in Western Australia should look at their government's Hardship Utility Grant Scheme (HUGS).
There is an Energy Concession covering electricity and gas for residents of the ACT.

Icons made by Freepik from

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

8 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    AnneJuly 17, 2019

    I installed 8 solar panels with 2kw inverter about 6 years ago, & got a federal rebate, plus a solar rebate 60 cents per kw. Now that has ended. The federal government has another solar energy rebate scheme where they pay roughly half your installment costs. Am I eligible for this rebate by installing a another unit? I’m an aged pensioner living in Dubbo NSW.

      JeniJuly 18, 2019Finder

      Hi Anne,

      Thank you for getting in touch with Finder.

      To learn more on applying for the rebate and discounts for having solar panels, please check out the NSW’s Department of Planning and Environment as well as Energy NSW. The page mentioned that solar customers should shop around for the best retail electricity offer.

      I hope this helps.

      Thank you and have a wonderful day!


    Default Gravatar
    tedOctober 7, 2018

    do they still give council rates discounts?

      JohnOctober 8, 2018Finder

      Hi Ted,

      Thank you for leaving a question.

      Eligible customers can apply for rebates and concessions on their energy bills. Depending on which state or territory you live in, different rebates and concessions may apply to you.

      Rebates and concessions vary, but are generally available to:

      low income earners
      individuals with medical conditions.
      Your retailer can help you identify appropriate government concession programs or rebates that may be available to you.

      You should check with your relevant state or territory government to find out if you are eligible for a rebate or concession. Hope this helps!


    Default Gravatar
    RuthJuly 10, 2018

    How do I access non-mains energy concession for pensioners; ie. firewood subsidy

      Default Gravatar
      ArnoldJuly 10, 2018

      Hi Ruth,

      Thanks for your inquiry.

      If you don’t use the main energy grid as much as others do, you may be entitled to the Non-Mains Energy Concession. Non-mains energy refers to the following:

      -Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)
      -Heating oil

      The rebate only applies to LPG, firewood, and heating oil when you are using it for domestic heating, cooling, and hot water. Also, firewood rebates are only available if your home has no other form of heating.

      The rebate depends on how much you are spending on these per year and is reviewed annually.

      For more information about the eligibility requirements and how you can apply, please check out our quick and easy guide about rebates and energy concessions in Victoria.

      Hope this information helps


    Default Gravatar
    BertMay 10, 2018

    I am a NSW aged pensioner, Am I entitled to the NSW Gas and electricity discounts from the NSW Govt?

      JhezelynMay 10, 2018Finder

      Hi Bert,

      Thank you for your comment.

      To be eligible for the NSW gas rebate, you must hold either a Pensioner Concession Card issued by the DHS/DVA. To apply, you must be eligible and already have a natural gas account with your preferred retailer, just simply call them. f you are with a supplied provider, you need to send an application form to the NSW energy department and must also provide the details of the eligible card.


Go to site