Caravan Loan Calculator 2023
Before buying that caravan, figure out your monthly repayments with our caravan loan calculator.
A caravan can be a great way to travel if you enjoy the great outdoors or want to keep accommodation costs down. However, buying a caravan does often require a large upfront payment. They can cost anywhere up to and even above $150,000, so unless you have a substantial amount of money saved, you may want to look into financing options. Using our caravan loan calculator you can work out the cost of your regular repayments, your total repayments and the overall cost of the loan.
All you need to know is the loan term and interest rate of a potential loan. Caravan loan interest rates generally range from about 5.35% p.a. to 14.99% p.a.
Find out how much you can afford and what works best for you below.
Calculate caravan loan repayments
What is a caravan loan calculator?
A caravan loan calculator can help you determine how much a personal loan will cost you and it can also help you adjust the terms of your loan to see if you can save money. After you compare your loan options, you can fill out the relevant fields on the calculator to see how much your repayments will be, how much interest you will pay at different stages of the loan and how much the loan will cost you overall. This enables you to make an informed decision as to whether to apply for a caravan loan.
Read on below to see how to use the calculator to determine your loan costs.
How to use our caravan loan calculator
Once you have found a loan product you'd like to apply for, simply put in the relevant figures that match the fields on the calculator. Here's a step-by-step guide to using the calculator:
- Enter the loan amount. This is the amount you intend to borrow. If you are opting for a secured loan, this amount will usually need to be equal to the cost of the caravan.
- Enter the loan's interest rate. This is the rate that is charged on your loan. It is a percentage of the loan amount charged per year. Lenders should advertise their interest rate and comparison rate, with the comparison rate giving you a better idea of the total cost of your loan, as it takes into consideration any mandatory loan fees. If you know the loan's comparison rate, enter this into the calculator. If you don't, simply put the advertised interest rate. The interest rate can also be fixed or variable, so be sure to take this into account when viewing your repayments. This is because if the rate is variable, it could change over the life of the loan.
- Input your loan term. This is the amount of time you intend to borrow the loan amount for. As caravan loans are generally for larger amounts than other personal loans, bear in mind that you may require some time to pay it back. Loan terms vary between lenders, but generally you are able to borrow from 1 up to 5 years for a fixed rate loan and up to 7 years for a variable rate loan.
- Add your repayment frequency. Lenders will generally allow you to choose your repayment frequency, as it allows you to budget for your repayments more easily. Depending on the repayment frequency you choose – monthly, fortnightly or weekly – you may be able to save money. Adjust the "Repayment Frequency" field on the calculator to see if you can save.
- Enter the type of repayments you intend to make. Principal and interest repayments mean your repayments are going towards paying off the original amount you borrowed, as well as the interest you are being charged. Interest-only repayments mean you are only paying off the interest that is accumulating on your loan and your principal loan amount stays the same.
- View your results. Once you've clicked "calculate", you can view your monthly repayments, total cost of loan, and total interest payable over the life of the loan. Remember that this calculator doesn't take into consideration any fees that might be included in the loan (unless you use the comparison rate).
Example of using the caravan loan calculator
A popular caravan to purchase in Australia is a JB Caravan. These can be found for sale online anywhere priced from roughly $50,000 up to $150,000. Assume you're looking to buy a mid-range JB caravan for $100,000 using the Credit Concierge caravan loan, pictured below, and you want to pay the loan off in monthly instalments with principal and interest payments over 5 years.
- Loan amount: $100,000
- Loan term: 7 years
- Interest rate: 5.25% p.a. (comparison rate)
- Repayment frequency: Monthly
- Repayment type: P&I
- Monthly repayment: $
- Total repayments: $
- Total interest payable: $
Can you afford a caravan loan?
When you’re inputting the required fields, you will be able to get a better idea of whether or not you can afford the loan. If you notice that the repayments are too high or you’re not happy with the amount you would be paying in interest, here are a few ways to use the calculator and save money on your loan:
- Change your repayment frequency. As mentioned above, making your repayments more frequently can help reduce the amount of interest you pay at the end of the loan. Adjust the repayment frequency on the calculator to see if you can save money.
- Choose a different loan. Some lenders offer more competitive loan products than others, so by comparing your options, you may find a better deal with a different lender. Use a personal loan calculator when looking at your options to get a better understanding of the amount you’ll be paying.
- Decrease the loan amount. Although you may have a loan amount in mind, if you will not be able to afford the repayments, then you might want to look at reducing the amount you will borrow.
The affordability of a caravan loan can be difficult to determine, but by using a caravan loan calculator you can get a better understanding of the costs you’ll be facing. You can also compare your caravan loan options using the comparison table on this page.
How much interest can I expect to pay?
How much interest you can expect to pay on a personal loan will depend on a number of factors. These include:
- The lender. Different lenders will have different eligibility requirements and loan offerings.
- The loan product. Different loan products will have different interest rates attached to them. Some loan products will also have personalised interest rates, which means that successful applicants will be allocated a rate depending on how the lender analyses their financial situations.
- Your credit rating. If you have excellent credit, you are more likely to be offered a lower rate loan, or a lower personalised interest rate than someone with bad credit.
- Fixed/variable rates. If you opt for a fixed rate loan, your repayments will stay the same over the life of the loan, making it easier to estimate just how much interest you will pay in total. However, if you opt for a variable rate loan, the rate could go up or down, affecting how much you pay.
- Your income/outgoings. A lender will usually assess your income(s) and any outgoing liabilities you have in order to assess your risk level, which could affect the rate you are charged.
Average cost of a caravan
Caravan prices generally range from about $25,000 to $150,000. The price of a caravan will vary depending on the make, model, terrain it's suited for, whether it's new or used, the condition it's in, and the technology and creature comforts that might be included.
What to do after using our caravan loan calculator
After you've used the caravan loan calculator, if you have found a loan that you think works for you and you have a caravan in mind that you would like to purchase, it's time to apply for a loan. However, before doing so, you should check:
- Eligibility criteria. Ensure that you meet the lender's set eligibility criteria. You can check what this is by clicking "More info" on any of the loans shown on this page.
- Restrictions. Is the loan that you wish to apply for able to cover the costs of the type of caravan you want to buy? For example, some caravan loans may only lend funds for new caravan purchases. If you're looking to buy a used caravan, you may have to find a different loan.
- Finance amount. Does the loan you want offer the right amount of funding for your caravan of choice?
If you've used the caravan loan calculator and you have found a loan that you'd like to apply for, you can simply click "Go to site" to visit a lender's website directly where you can submit an enquiry or an application form. However, before doing so, there are certain eligibility criteria that need to be met, as well as documentation that you will need to have on hand:
While it will vary from lender to lender, to be eligible for a caravan loan you will generally be required to:
- Be 18 or older
- Have a regular, verifiable income
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia
- Have an acceptable credit history
To fill out a loan application, you will usually also need to provide the following documentation:
- Driver's licence
- Details of your employer and employment history
- Bank statements or online banking information
- Details of assets that you own
- Information about any other loans or credit you have
- Information regarding your expenses and bills
For more information on caravan loans and for more caravan loan options, please visit our caravan loans guide.
More guides on Finder
DiDi car rentals
Find out more about how you can be a driver with DiDi, even if you don't own your own car. Rent a car and start making money using the ridesharing platform.
Lamborghini finance Australia
Find out how you can finance a Lamborghini today.
Car sharing may change how we view our vehicles
Changing lifestyles could make car ownership a less convenient option.
Automotive industry launches airbag safety campaign
Easily find out if your car is affected by the Takata airbag recall.
Benefit from a range of finance options when looking to purchase a Mercedes-Benz.
Australian Vs. USA car prices 2017
Aussies are paying up to 185.14% extra for vehicles compared to our American friends.
Looking to purchase a new Nissan? Compare all of your financing options.
Hyundai finance options
Make sure to consider these Hyundai financing options before you buy a new or used Hyundai
Cheap Car Loans Australia (2023)
When you're shopping around for a new car, you surely want the cheapest car loan possible.
Car loan repayment calculator
Our car loan repayment calculator will help you work out how much your monthly, weekly or fortnightly car loan repayments will be to help you budget.
Ask an Expert