Putting down a deposit for a used car
Looking to save by using a deposit for a used car? See your options and compare user car loans now.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you're looking to buy a used vehicle, you may be wondering if you need to leave a deposit.
Both private sellers and used car dealerships may ask for a deposit, so it's important to know how much you're required to put down, whether you're entitled to a refund, or if you need to leave a deposit at all.
Read through the guide to see where you stand before you make your purchase.
Do I need to leave a deposit?
Types of deposits for used cars
There are two types of deposits that you can be asked for when buying a used car:
- A holding deposit essentially "holds" the vehicle for you but you're in no way obliged to follow-through with the purchase
- It may go towards the purchase price but this needs to be decided between you and the seller
- You need to agree whether this deposit is refundable (get this in writing)
- Will generally only apply for a limited time
- You commit to purchasing the vehicle
- It's usually non-refundable, but you should confirm this with the seller
- You sign a contract that outlines all terms and conditions relating to the sale
What to do if you leave a deposit
Can I get my deposit back?
Here are the cooling off periods by state:
- Queensland. A cooling-off-period of one day applies to all used car sales. You must cancel in writing.
- NSW. A one-day cooling-off period only applies when you are purchasing the car under a credit contract, that is, using finance arranged with the dealer. You must cancel in writing and the dealer can charge you $250 or 2% of the cars value, whichever is less.
- Victoria. A cooling-off period of three business days, excluding weekends and public holidays, applies to cars and motorbikes purchased from licensed motor car traders. You lose this period if you opt for delivery during the three-day period. The dealer can keep $100 or 1% of the purchase price, whichever is greater.
- Tasmania. No cooling-off period applies.
- South Australia. You're entitled to a two-day cooling-off period in SA. If you cancel during this period, the seller can keep $100 or 2% of the purchase price, whichever is less.
- Western Australia. No cooling-off period applies.
- Northern Territory. No cooling-off period applies.
- ACT. After you've signed the purchase agreement you're entitled to a cooling-off period of three days. If you cancel during this time (must be cancelled in writing) the seller can charge you $100 or 1% of the purchase price, whichever is greater.
Estimate your chance of approval with the Finder app!
Worried about getting knocked back when applying for a personal loan? Use the Finder app to estimate your chance of approval and apply with greater confidence. Pop in your phone number below to get your download link.
- Fixed interest rate
- Low ongoing fees
- Additional repayments OK
100% confidential application
Latitude Personal Loan (Secured)
Benefit from a competitive fixed interest rate from 5.99% p.a. and between 1 and 7 years to pay off the loan.
- Interest rate: 5.99% p.a.
- Comparison rate: 7.26% p.a.
- Interest rate type: Fixed
- Application fee: $250
- Minimum loan amount: $3,000
Found your car? Compare your loan options
More guides on Finder
Used car values: what helps a car retain its value?
Gumtree reveals data that could help used and new car buyers save money
Are you better off putting $10k in your home loan or in super?
Our experts crunch the numbers to help you work out the best place to park your money: is it your mortgage or your super fund?
Best RC and remote control cars in Australia
From the best overall RC car to the best RC car for kids, these are the six best RC cars you can buy in Australia right now.
Campervan hire in Perth | Where to book, what to know
Whether you’re headed into the outback or along the coast, make your trip that bit smoother with the perfect campervan.
How to start a grocery delivery business
Here's what you need to know before launching your new grocery delivery company.
Where to buy tools online with Afterpay
Get the tools you need to tackle your next project sooner when you shop using Afterpay.
Solar panel quotes Sydney
What you need to know to get started with solar energy in Sydney.
Home furniture insurance
Here’s everything you need to know about insuring your prized furniture collection.
Why you need KVD Vegan Beauty’s Edge of Reality palette
Vegan eyeshadows in a fully recyclable palette – this is everything you need to know about KVD Vegan Beauty's holiday launch.
Electric car ownership guide
Find out how to switch from a fossil-fuel guzzler to an electric car.
Car Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.99% p.a.
A low minimum borrowing amount of $2,000 that you can use to purchase a new car or one up to two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.69% p.a.
Take advantage of a competitive rate, pre-approval and no early repayment fees when you finance a car under two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate from 4.99% p.a.
A larger loan of $5,000 or more to help you buy a new or used car. 5-hour pre approval available and no ongoing fees.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.99% p.a.
Purchase a new or used car up to 2 years old and benefit from a fixed rate and no monthly fees. Pre-approval available within 5 business hours.
Ask an Expert