Comminsure Life Insurance Review and Policy Comparison
CommInsure Life Insurance is a part of the Australian Commonwealth Bank Group and although the CommInsure name was not introduced into the Australian insurance world until 1999, its links with the Australian insurance industry stretch back over 100 years. Comminsure has grown to become one of the most respected life insurance brands in Australia with a range of insurance solutions for life cover, income protection, trauma cover and TPD. This review will provide an overview of the policies on offer from Comminsure and give some background to this insurer. If you would like to see how Comminsure compare to other insurance brands, you can enter your details in the form below.
Awards Received and Claims Paid by CommInsure
- 2012 Income Protection Product Award - Plan for Life/AFA Awards
- 2011 Income Protection Award - Association of Financial Advisers (AFA)/Plan for Life Awards
- 2011 Trauma Insurance Award - Financial Review Smart Investor Blue Ribbon Awards
- Total Claims Paid by CommInsure in 2010 - Total $609 million
Breakdown on Claims in 2010
- Life/Terminal illness - $261.7 million
- TPD/Trauma - $231.3 million
CommInsure's Range of Life Insurance Solutions
From its inception CommInsure Life Insurance has gone from strength to strength in protecting the lifestyle of Australians by its ability to offer an extensive raft of straightforward, simple to understand, insurance solutions at affordable premiums. This has been achieved with a fresh approach to its task by insisting on delivering simplicity, innovation, competitive insurance policies and a responsive service.Back to top
Comminsure Life Care
Life Care is term insurance that will pay you or your beneficiaries a lump sum payment should you either die or become terminally ill. Besides you, or your beneficiaries receiving the lump sum payment, life Care will also provide you or your dependants with financial advice up to the value of $2,500. If the Life Care policy has been in force for at least five years the amount of cover will be increased by five percent in the event of any claim being made.
Key Features and Benefit of Life Care
- Death Benefit: A lump sum benefit will be paid to policyholders/their beneficiaries in the event of the policyholders death.
- Interim Accident Cover: Policyholders are covered for accidents while Comminsures underwriting team are processing their application.
- Terminal Illness Benefit: An advance payment of the Life Care benefit will be paid if the policyholder is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
- Financial Planning Benefit: Beneficiaries are provided with an additional benefit to help cover the costs of financial planning after the death benefit has been paid.
- Life Care Advance Payment Benefit: Beneficiaries are provided with an advanced payment of the Life Care benefit to help cover funeral expenses.
- Severe Hardship Booster Benefit: An increase benefit is paid if the policyholder dies or suffers terminal illness due to listed conditions.
- Loyalty Bonus Booster Benefit: Policyholders are rewarded for keeping their cover with Comminsure with an additional 5% for the Life Care benefit.
- Buy Back Benefit: Policyholders life care benefit is reimbursed after 12 months if it has been reduced due to the payment of a full TPD Cover claim or a Trauma Cover claim.
- Accommodation Benefit: Benefit paid to help cover the costs of accommodating a family member that has travelled to stay with policyholder if they have been injured and are confined to bed a certain distance from their home.
- Indexation Benefit: Cover amount will increase each year in line with inflation.
Additional Benefits Available on Life Care Plan
- Guaranteed Insurability Option for Personal Event: Policyholder is able to increase their LifeCare cover without having to provide further medical evidence on specific occasions.
- Guaranteed Insurability Option for Business Events: Policyholder can increase Life Care Benefit without providing further medical evidence under certain events related to their business.
- Business Safe Cover Option: Policyholder can be assessed for up to three times the standard amount of cover so that automatic increases can be applied when certain business events occur.
- Child Cover Option: Lump sum payment made if Child dies or suffers a listed Trauma condition. Amount of cover given will be the same for which Child has been covered.
- Accidental Death Cover Option: Cover provided for Accidental Death at low cost.
- Plan Protection Option: Premiums waived if the policyholder becomes totally disabled.
Comminsure Total and Permanent Disability Insurance
CommInsure Total and Permanent Disability Insurance goes a step further than just giving you insurance cover should you die or suffer a terminal illness. That is, should you suffer a total or permanent disability caused by a sickness or injury, you can arrange to have a lump sum payment paid to you that would allow you to provide for your family and pay your bills as you could have before suffering the mishap. Key Policy Features
- TPD Benefit Payment: Pays a lump sum to the policyholder if they are to become totally disabled as a result of serious illness or injury.
- TPD Benefit: A lump sum payment will be paid to the beneficiaries of the policyholder if they die.
- Financial Planning Benefit: Benefit paid to assist in covering the costs of financial planning after a benefit has been paid.
- Severe Hardship Booster: An increase of the TPD Benefit is paid if the policyholder suffers a condition specified by Comminsure.
- Loyalty Bonus: Policyholder is rewarded with an increase of 5% in their TPD cover if their policy is maintained and no
- claim has been made.
- Buy Back Benefit: Life Cover can be refilled if benefit has been paid for a full TPD claim.
- Accommodation Benefit: Benefit paid to help accommodate a family member if they have had to travel a certain distance to stay with you while injured and confined to a bed.
- Benefit Indexation: Cover is increased each year in line with movements in inflation.
- Interim Accident Cover: Policyholder is covered for accidents that may occur while their application is being processed by Comminsures underwriting team.
- Continual Option: Policyholder is able to obtain a new Life Care policy without having to provide more medical documentation.
Additional Options for Comminsure TPD
- Guaranteed Insurability Option for Business Events: Policyholder is able to increase their TPD cover without having to provide additional medical underwriting if certain business events occur i.e. a business loan is increased or the value of financial interest in business grows.
- Business Safe Cover Option: Applicant is assessed for up to 3 times their cover amount at the time of the policy application. This allows the policyholder to not need to provide further medical evidence if certain business events occur.
Comminsure Total Care Super Plan
A superannuation product that offers cover for death, critical illness and TPD. Applicants can take out cover through a Super fund which will enable them to pay for premiums through the superannuation that they accumulate. Key Benefits of the Comminsure Total Care Super Plan
- Life Care Benefit: Lump sum benefit will be paid into the policyholders superannuation fund in the event of their death.
- Terminal Illness Benefit: An advanced payment of the Life Care benefit is paid if the policyholder is diagnosed with a terminal illness by an accredited medical practitioner.
- TPD Cover Benefit: A lump sum payment will be paid into the policyholders superannuation fund if they become totally disabled.
- Severe Hardship Booster: Increased benefit for death, terminal illness or tpd is paid if policyholder suffers a listed condition.
- Loyalty Bonus Benefit: An increased in cover of 5% added to benefit if policyholder maintains their cover.
- Life Care Buy-Back Benefit: Any cover that has been paid for a TPD claim can be reinstated after 12 months.
- Income Care Super: Policyholder can insure up to 75% of their income with the money accumulated in their Super Fund.
- Reward Cover Benefit: An additional $100,000 in Accidental Death Cover paid to policyholder for maintaining policy.
- Automatic Indexation: Cover amount on Total Care Plan Super is increased each year in line with inflation.
- Interim Accident Cover: Policyholder covered for any accidents that occur while their application is being processed.
Comminsure Total Care Plan Super Additional Options to Consider
- Plan Protection Option: Premiums will be waived if policyholder becomes disabled.
- Accidental Death Cover Option: Additional lump sum payable if policyholders death is accidental.
- Increasing Claims Option: Claim benefit on policy will increase according to any changes in inflation.
- Accident Option: Policyholder can receive a claim benefit if they are totally disabled during the waiting period by an injury for at least three consecutive days.
<Back to top
Comminsure Trauma Cover
There are many benefits of Comminsure Trauma Cover. Trauma is as injurious to a persons financial well being as is anything else, therefore if you were to survive for 14 days following the occurrence of a serious medical condition such as cancer, stroke or heart attack etc. you could be eligible to receive a lump sum payment. Trauma Cover Key Benefits and Features
- Trauma Benefit: Lump sum benefit paid if policyholder suffers a specified medical condition.
- Partial Trauma Cover Benefit: Partial benefit paid to policyholder if they suffer a specified medical condition.
- Severe Hardship Booster: Double the Trauma benefit paid under certain medical conditions.
- Financial Planning Booster Benefit: Benefit paid to help cover the costs of seeking financial planning advice from an approved financial adviser following the payment of a Life Care, Trauma cover or TPD cover benefit.
- Loyalty Bonus Benefit: Policyholder rewarded with an additional 5% in cover if they maintain their policy for five years or more.
- Life Cover Buy Back Benefit: Cover paid for Life Care benefit will be automatically reinstated 12 months after a Life Cover claim payment is made.
- Trauma Cover Buy Back Benefit: Cover paid for Trauma benefit will be automatically reinstated 12 months after a Trauma claim payment is made.
- Accommodation Benefit: Benefit paid to assist cover the costs of accommodation a family member who has travelled a defined distance to stay with policyholder if they have suffered a specified condition and are confined to their bed.
- Indexation: Cover is increased each year to remain in line with inflation.
- Interim Accident Cover: Applicant is covered for accidents that may occur while Comminsure is processing their application.
Comminsure Trauma Cover Additional Options to Consider:
- Evidence of Severity Option: Premium discount paid in return for any restrictions on Trauma Cover.
- Guaranteed Insurability Option for Personal Events: Policyholder can increase Life Care and Trauma cover under certain events without having to provide further medical evidence.
- Guaranteed Insurability Option for Business Events: Policyholder may increase their Life Care, TPD or Trauma cover without the need to provide Comminsures underwriting team with further medical evidence under the occurrence of certain business events.
- Business Safe Cover Option: Policyholder may apply for increase in cover under certain business events occurring. They will not need to provide further medical underwriting.
- Child Cover Option: Lump sum equal to amount policyholders child is insured for is paid if the child dies or suffers one of the listed trauma conditions.
- Trauma Cover Plus Option: Policyholder can receive benefit if they suffer from one of an additional 13 trauma conditions.
Comminsure Income protection
Many people who have suffered from a sickness or injury that has prevented them from bringing in an income during such an occurrence have never been able to fully recover financially. Some have even lost their house during this time because of being unable to meet the mortgage repayments, let alone all the other bills that keep coming in. You can protect yourself from such a tragedy by taking out Comminsure Income Protection. Comminsure Offers Four Different Types of Income Protection To Policy Holders
|Policy Features||Feature Description||Income Care||Income Care Plus||Income Care Super||Business Overheads Cover|
|Interim Accident Cover||Policyholder is covered if they suffer total disability while the Comminsure underwriting team is assessing their policy application.|
|Total Disability Benefit||Monthly benefit paid to the policyholder is they are unable to work due to serious illness or injury.|
|Partial Disability Benefit||Monthly benefit paid to policyholder if they are unable to work to their full capacity due to serious illness or injury.|
|Premium is Waived if Policyholder is on Claim||The policyholder will not have to pay their premium payments if they are under claim for certain benefits.|
|Benefit Indexation||The sum insured will automatically shift with inflation each year.|
|Reward Cover Benefit||Policyholder is rewarded for maintaining their income cover for a period of three years or more with free accidental death cover.|
|Recurrent Disablement||Waiting period does not begin again if the policyholder goes back to work and suffers the same sickness or injury resulting in a second claim.|
|Cover While Policyholder is Unemployed or on Leave||Cover will continue even if the policyholder is unemployed or on leave.|
|Rehabilitation Benefit||An additional benefit will be paid to help cover the costs of an approved rehabilitation program.|
|Rehabilitation Expenses Benefit||Benefit paid to help cover the costs associated with Rehabilitation|
|Specific Injuries Benefit||Set amount is paid to policy holder is if they suffer one of the listed conditions.|
|Crisis Benefit||Will pay a benefit for a period of up to six months if the policyholder suffers a listed medical crisis event.|
|Accommodation Benefit||Benefit paid to help cover the cost of accommodating a family member who has more than a defined distance to stay with the policyholder while they are totally disabled and confined to a bed.|
|Family Support Benefit||Will help cover reduction in family members income as a result of them having to look after you.|
|Home Care Benefit||Benefit paid to help cover the costs of having a professional housekeeper while under claim.|
|Bed Confinement Benefit||Benefit paid to help cover the cost of having a professional nurse care for you while under claim.|
|Transportation Benefit||Will help cover the cost for emergency transport of policyholder to a hospital within Australia|
|Overseas Assist Benefit||Benefit paid to help cover the costs of returning policyholder to Australia if they are totally disabled for a specified period of time while overseas.|
|Death Benefit||Lump sum paid if policyholder dies while they are entitled to claim benefits.|
|Business Overheads Cover Benefit||Policyholder will be reimbursed for the fixed operating business costs.|
|Worldwide Cover||Policyholder is covered 24 hours a day anywhere in the world.|
|Unemployment Cover Benefit||Benefit paid to help cover minimum monthly loan repayments for a period of up to three months on all Comminsure loans.|
|Flexibility to Reduce Waiting Periods||Policyholder can reduce waiting period under certain events for specified periods without having to provide further medical evidence.|
|Waiver of Premium if on Maternity Leave||Premiums waived for a period of up to three months if the policyholder goes on maternity leave.|
|Waiver of Premium if Unemployed||Premiums waived for up to three months if the policyholder becomes involuntarily unemployed.|
|Waiver of Waiting Period for Specific Conditions||Benefits will be paid during waiting period if the policyholder suffers specified conditions.|
|Medical Professionals Benefit||Lump Sum payment paid if policyholder acquires HIV, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C and are henceforth unable to practise exposure prone procedures in their profession.|
|Guaranteed Insurability Option||Policyholder can increase cover amount by up to 10% every three years without having to provide further medical evidence.|
|Essential Cover Option||Provides cover for accidents only at a discounted premium rate.|
Additional Benefits Available on Comminsure Income Protection Plans
|Option||Description||Income Care||Income Care Plus||Income Care Super||Business Overheads Cover|
|Increasing Claim Option||Benefits will increase yearly to keep pace with inflation.|
|Accident Option||A benefit will be paid the policy holder is totally disabled during the waiting period due to a serious accident.|
|Super Continuation Option||Policyholder is able to make regular contributions to their superannuation fund.|
|Premium Saver Option||Policyholder can receive a discount to their premium payments if there are some limits to their cover.|
|Cash Back Option||Portion of premium will be paid back to policyholder when their policy ends if a claim has not been made.|
|Permanent Disablement Cover Option||Policyholder can receive a lump sum benefit if they are to suffer a total and permanent disablement.|
|Total and Temporary Disability Cover||Premium discount provided if TPD benefits are waived.|
Comminsure Business Overheads Protection
Comminsure Business Overheads Insurance will ensure your business does not experience financial hardship in the event of serious illness or injury. Key Features and Benefits on Comminsure Business Overheads Protection
- Business Overheads Cover Benefit: Benefit paid to cover operating business costs. These expenses must be fixed and approved.
- Elective Surgery: Policyholder can claim benefits for elective surgery if policy has been in place for a period of six months.
- Waiver of Premium: Premiums waived while policyholder is under claim for certain events.
- Benefit Indexation: Benefit will align with rises in inflation each year.
- Interim Accident Cover: Policyholder is covered for total disability while applying for policy.
- Worldwide Cover: Policyholder is covered anywhere in the world 24 hours a day.
- Locum Expenses: Policyholder may be eligible to also be covered for the cost of a locum under their business expense cover.
- Reward Cover: Policyholder rewarded for keeping cover in place for more than three years with free accidental death cover.
Optional Benefits Available on Comminsure Business Overheads Offer
- Cash Back Option: Will pay back a portion of the premiums at the end of the policy if there is no benefit paid.
The most basic of all insurance cover is the protection of your loved ones if you should die or be stricken with contracting a terminal illness. CommInsure Life Insurance provides a lump sum payment in the event of such events occurring. With such cover you can rest assured that should the worst occur at least your family’s financial situation will not add further strain to an already stressful situation. All people who have others dependent on them should protect those against your loss should you be unable to contribute any further to their financial well being. Especially if you will leave debts behind, such as a mortgage. Life and income insurance is not as expensive as many would have you believe. Actually for most people such protection is obtainable for less than the price of a cup of tea or coffee a day. This is certainly a little price to pay in order to safeguard your family against financial hardship if tragedy should strike.Back to top
With Comminsure, you can now bundle your life insurance policy both inside and outside of super across two separate policies, providing greater benefits for you with savings on your premiums and policy fees. Known as Flexi-Linking, you have the option to hold your life cover inside super and link that policy with trauma and/or total and permanent disability (TPD) riders outside of super. The flexible linking structure enables you to choose different areas in your policy that you would like your super fund to cover or be paid by you directly, especially if you are cautious of your cashflow. You can benefit from more affordable cover as premiums on riders are generally 15-20% cheaper than standalone policies (Risk Info, 2013). Taking effect since August 18th, 2013, you can opt for Comminsure Life Care as your primary policy through Total Care Plan Super or Total Care Plan via SMSF and add the flexi-linked riders that you may require.Back to top
Why Choose Comminsure?
CommInsure Life Insurance is continuing a proud history in providing personal insurance products to the Australian public. Comminsures competitive product range with comprehensive benefits and options allows their products to be tailored to a great range of customers needs. Tragedy can strike at any moment to anybody but you can prevent the financial devastation from spreading if you take action to protect yourself and your loved ones now.