Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

First Home Owners Grant in NSW

Eligible first home buyers in NSW can get a $10,000 first owners grant, plus concessions on stamp duty charges.

What help is there for first home buyers in NSW?

In NSW, there are 3 schemes available to help first home buyers get into the property market: The First Home Owner Grant (New Homes), the First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme and the Shared Equity Home Buyer Helper scheme. Some buyers may be eligible for more than 1.

  • Please be aware that if you have already owned a property, you may not qualify for grants or stamp duty discounts designed for first home buyers. But you should always check the latest eligibility details on the Revenue NSW website just to be sure.

New home icon

First Home Owners Grant (New Homes)

First Home Owner Grant (New Homes) Scheme is a $10,000 grant for first home buyers who are buying or building a new home. You cannot qualify for the grant if you are buying an existing home.


You can qualify for the scheme if you are:

  • Buying a newly constructed (or substantially renovated) home valued at no more than $600,000.
  • Buying land, and the combined value of your building and land are no more than $750,000.
  • You must occupy your first home as your main place of residence within the first 12 months of construction or purchase. For contracts signed before 1 July 2023, the minimum period of occupancy is 6 consecutive months. For contracts signed after 1 July 2023, the minimum period of occupancy is 12 continuous months.

You must be:

  • Purchasing the first home you or your spouse have owned or co-owned
  • An Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia
  • At least 18 years old

Source: Revenue NSW

House tax icon

First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme

The First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme allows eligible first home or land buyers in NSW to get an exemption or concession on transfer duty (stamp duty).


As of 1 July 2023, new and existing homes valued at less than $800,000 qualify for a complete exemption. Properties valued between $800,000 and $1,000,000 qualify for a reduced transfer duty rate.

If you're buying vacant land, the land value must be equal to or less than $350,000 for a full exemption. For vacant land between $350,000 and $450,000, you can apply for a reduced transfer duty rate.

You must also:

  • Move into the home within 12 months after settlement, and
  • Live in the property as your principal residence for at least 12 consecutive months.

You must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be purchasing the first home you or your spouse have owned or co-owned in Australia
  • Have never received an exemption or concession under the scheme
  • At least 1 of the first home buyers must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Source: Revenue NSW

New home shared equity icon

Shared Equity Home Buyer Helper

The NSW Shared Equity Home Buyer Helper provides support for first home buyer key workers, as well as some single buyers. The NSW Government will pay up to 40% of the purchase price of an eligible property, retaining it as equity for as long as you're eligible or until you sell the property.


The scheme is only available for:

  • Nurses
  • Midwives
  • Paramedics
  • Teachers
  • Early childhood educators
  • Police officers

You must also:

  • Only be able to service a mortgage with the government contribution
  • Meet income and asset thresholds
  • Be able to contribute at least 2% to a deposit
  • Be ready to occupy the property as your main place of residence from the day of settlement
  • Off the plan properties are eligible only if settlement is due to occur within 90 days of the contract being signed.

You must be:

  • 18 years of age or older
  • Purchasing the first home you or your spouse have owned or co-owned in Australia
  • Australian or New Zealand citizens or permanent residents
  • Able to confirm your qualifications and the relevant award or enterprise agreement you work under, and provide evidence of employment or income
  • Meet the asset tests applied by the lender
  • Single parents with dependent children and singles aged 50 and over can also apply, even if they're not first home buyers, as long as they meet the other eligibility criteria.

Source: Revenue NSW

How do I apply for first home buyer schemes in NSW?

All of the first home buyer schemes in NSW are available to apply for on the Revenue NSW website. However each scheme has a slightly different process and should be applied for at different times of the homebuying process.

First Home Owner Grant

You can apply for the First Home Owner Grant on the Revenue NSW website within 12 months of settlement or completed construction date. You can also lodge your application with your lender if you need the payment for settlement. There is a full list of approved lenders on the Revenue NSW website as well as the application form to complete.

First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme

After you've exchanged contracts, you can apply for the scheme by completing 2 forms which are downloadable from the Revenue NSW website. You must lodge the application with proof of identity documents through your solicitor or conveyancer.

Shared Equity Home Buyer Helper

Only 2 lenders are partnered with Revenue NSW for the Shared Equity Home Buyer Helper Scheme. You need to check your eligibility with those lenders first before submitting your application with Revenue NSW.

The lender will then process your home loan application and once you've been granted pre-approval you have 3 months to find and purchase a home, or you will need to apply again.

For final approval, you will need to provide the lender evidence of your eligibility and that you can't buy the property without the scheme.

Check out our complete FHOG guide for more information and support.

FAQ about the FHOG

Why you can trust Finder's home loan experts

We're free
You won't pay any more by taking out a home loan with us. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare loans.
expert advice
We're experts
We've researched and rated dozens of home loans as part of our Finder Awards. We provide unique insights and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.
We're independent
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by a third party. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home loan lenders, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
We're here to help
Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find a home loan by explaining the nitty gritty details simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

More guides on Finder

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

43 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    MarioSeptember 29, 2021

    Which bank or lending body would you suggest to borrow money for a new unit loan?

      RichardOctober 6, 2021Finder

      Hi Mario

      You can check out the table on this page where you could compare home loan options for first home buyers. Check out the features to weigh your options. Once you’ve chosen a particular loan, you can click the Go to site icon.


    Default Gravatar
    michelleJuly 21, 2021

    i purchased a property in march of this year but did not claim the first home owners at the time of purchase am i able to claim the first home owners now the purchase price of the property was $90,000

      SarahJuly 24, 2021Finder

      Hi Michelle.

      The First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is only available on the purchase of newly built or substantially renovated homes. You must lodge your application within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction of your home. If the property you purchased was new, you may be eligible to claim the grant, but with a price of $90,000 I suspect this was an existing home. If it was already built, you’re not eligible to apply for the grant.

      Hope this helps.

      Many thanks,

    Default Gravatar
    marissaJune 17, 2020

    hi my husband brought a home with his ex partner using the first home owner grant . i have never lived in and had any association with the previous brought house . Am i still eligible for the first home owner grant ?

    Default Gravatar
    ShaunJuly 26, 2019

    The property I’m purchasing is $695,000. Am I still eglible for the $10,000? or just the stamp duty concession?

      Default Gravatar
      NikkiJuly 27, 2019

      Hi Shaun,

      Thanks for your question. As per our page, since your property is at $695k, this means this is over the FHOG cap amount. However, the First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme offers eligible buyers exemptions or concessions on property transfer duty. This includes an exemption from stamp duty for homes valued up to $650,000 and concessions on duty for homes valued between $650,000 and $800,000.

      Given this, your new home duty will have an estimate concession of $8,000.

      Hope this helps!


    Default Gravatar
    IrmaApril 30, 2019

    I am aged 58, divorced and had a house with my exhusband 17 years ago.
    Am i able to receive stamp duty exemption at all as a first home buyer in my own right

      Default Gravatar
      NikkiMay 1, 2019

      Hi Irma,

      Thanks for getting in touch with Finder! The First Home Owner Grant satisfies to-be homeowners that are the ff:

      Each applicant is a natural person (e.g. not a company)
      At least one applicant is a permanent resident or an Australian citizen
      Each applicant must be aged 18 years or older
      All applicants have not owned a residential property in Australia before July 2000
      All applicants have not previously owned a residential property for a continuous period of at least six months
      All applicants have not previously received a grant under the First Home Owner Grant Act 2000 in any state or territory
      At least one applicant will occupy the home as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of 6 months

      Since you’ve owned a property before, unfortunately, doesn’t qualify you for stamp duty exemption and FHOG.

      Hope this clarifies!


Go to site