HESTA superannuation | Performance, features and fees
An industry super fund with several investment options, competitive fees and an authorised MySuper product.
HESTA is an industry super fund, which means that all its profits go towards benefiting its members, not its shareholders. If you’d like your superannuation managed for you, you can choose from four main investment pools and let HESTA do the rest. Or, if you’d like more control, you can choose your own investment strategy from a range of asset classes.
Past 5 year performance
Calculated fees on $50,000 balance
|Name||HESTA - Core Pool|
|Past 5 year performance||7.19%|
|Annual admin fee||
$76.47 + 0.09% of balance p.a.
|Calculated fees on 50K||$548.53|
|Insurance included||Death, TPD, Income Protection|
|Number of members||867,000|
What are the key features of HESTA superannuation?
- Industry super fund. HESTA is an industry fund meaning all profits go back into the fund to benefit members, not shareholders. Industry funds have a reputation for having strong performance returns and low fees.
- MySuper product available. HESTA offers a default MySuper authorised investment option. MySuper products are no-frills, low-fee options for Australians.
- Up to 11 different investment options. Members can choose from 11 different ways to invest their super, based on their risk tolerance and how hands on they want to be.
- Sustainable investment option available. HESTA offers a sustainable investment options, Eco Pool, for members who want their super to be invested more ethically.
- Insurance fee-free cover while on parental leave. Parents can be eligible for up to 12 months of fee-free insurance cover while on parental leave.
What investment options are available?
HESTA offers several different ways to invest, depending on your risk appetite and how involved you want to be. You can choose between four pre-made investment pools which offer ready made diversified investment options that are managed on your behalf. Or, you can choose between a range of single asset options to design your own investment portfolio. The past performance figures as well as asset allocation for each investment option are detailed below.
What are the fees and charges?
With HESTA, you do not pay any entry fees, account set-up fees or exit fees, nor do you pay any fees for buy-sell spreads. You can also switch investment options at any time for free.
Example of annual fees based on $50,000 in the Core Pool (default option)
Annual admin fee: $76.47 plus 0.09% of balance.
Indirect cost ratio (including investment fees): 0.85%
Calculated annual cost on $50,000 balance: $548.53
Fees vary depending on the investment option you select. Click below to see a breakdown of the different fees applied to the various investment options available.
What insurance cover is available?
Automatic death and income protection cover is applied to your account when you join. You can opt out of this if you wish when you join, or cancel at any time after your account is opened. You can also tailor it to better suit your needs. You can also apply for lump-sum total and permanent disablement (TPD) cover if you wish.
How do I join HESTA?
If you’ve decided that HESTA’s super account is right for you, you can apply online by filling out the application form.
You will need to supply:
- Personal details. You’ll need to provide your personal contact details including your Australian residential address.
- Previous super fund details. If you’d like to consolidate an existing super fund with your new fund online, you will need to provide your current fund details.
You will need to select:
- Investment option. You’ll be asked to choose your investment option from those detailed above, so consider this before beginning your application. If you don't make a choice your super will be invested in the Core Pool.
- Insurance instructions. You’ll be asked if you’d like to opt out of or tailor the default insurance policies, as detailed above.